ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball FSU 94 CMU 67 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Bill From Tampa

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
FSU 94 CMU 67 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good

After losing to UCF 68-54 last season, FSU was 0-2 on the season and things were not looking good only to get worse. In a complete 180 reversal displaying far more athletic ability and better basketball IQ, FSU put on another dominating display to start the season 2-0 in beating Central Michigan 94-67. Clearly the 'Noles outmanned the Chippewas. I doubt however few expected this kind of offensive power. Yes, you have to take into consideration the opponent (no offense CMU), but we all know how the season began to nosedive from the start. Apparently this team has decided to never trail in a game because once again the 'Noles grabbed control early and kept control for the entire game.

With the win, FSU improves its all time record against the Chippewas to 1-0.

Coming into the game, CMU had lost seven straight games going back to last season. Make that eight.

Let's see if I can do the math. FSU won on Friday 94-67. Tonight the Seminoles won 94-67. If I do the math correctly, FSU scores an average of 94 ppg and defensively holds its opponents to 67 ppg. I think I have that right.

And what was impressive about the offense tonight was that CMU went the 2-3 zone almost the entire game. The 'Noles did a pretty good job of finding the soft spots in the zone complimented by perimeter shooting. As we all know, past FSU teams were not especially good at handling that kind of defense. I am certain FSU will face better zone defenses this season, but going against the zone all game long and having the success it did bodes well for the potential of this team.

The gaudy offensive stats. Six players in double digits led by Jamir Watkins' 19. The Seminoles shot 57% from the floor, 43% (12-28) from the arc, 12-14 FTs, and 23 assists on 35 baskets. Coupled with the Kennesaw game, 67% of the baskets FSU has scored have logged an assist on the play. Leonard Hamilton has to be pleased with how his team is sharing the ball so far. Yes, there could be more side to side passing, but so far, the ball is not sticking like it did so much last season.

Darin Green was 4-9 from the arc. In the 34 games he has played, he has scored 2 or more threes in 28 of those games. In 33 of those games, he has scored at least one and has converted a three in 26 consecutive games. Hamilton has always given him the Green light (get it, the Green light) to shoot the three. Darin is making the most of that.

Notable plays. Offense was great as we saw. The POTG (play of the game) IMO (in my opinion) was on D (defense). CMU swung the ball around the entire floor twice zipping it quickly. FSU rotations were excellent on the play and when CMU did take a the three pointer it was not a clean one that missed its mark. That was early in the first half. That reflected a trend as FSU held the Chippewas to 21% (4-19) from the arc. Remember, last season FSU struggled greatly with its defense at the arc. The 'Noles complimented that defensive effort by roaring out to 13-1 lead. Cameron Corhen starting the game off with a nice turnaround J from the FT line against that zone. The stretch of plays that saw FSU connect on seven straight shots while forcing CMU into turnovers over a span of four minutes to lead 25-8. Watkins intercepting the pass to the left wing taking it the distance and hung in the air to draw the foul. De'Ante Green with the steal and full court pass to a streaking Taylor Bol Bowen for the lay up, 47-30. FSU added 3 points to lead 50-30 at the break. It only became more of a n uphill battle for CMU as the 'Noles led by as many as 27 in the final period.

The Bad

Turnovers. At least in the first half. Eight of them as I recall.

The three minute stretch where CMU went on a 7-0 run while FSU was turning it over four times during that span.

Rebounding appears to be an issue for the time being. FSU was a +4 in that category. But CMU had no real presence in the paint. Too many times the Chippewas came away with the board that could have been fought for a little harder. Watkins and Baba Miller both had 6 apiece however.

The Ugly.

FSU sent Kennesaw to the line 26 times. Tonight it was worse as CMU took 31 charity shots. They missed a whole bunch (14), but FSU played aggressively. A tad too aggressively and a little out of control in defending the basket.

The flip side was FSU's 2-2 in the first half. Yeah, it was the zone and they are not going to foul that much. But Shirley there had to be some contact in there with the number of times FSU attacked the rim.

OK, I know he had just made a three and has the Green light, but I thought Darin could have pulled up and maybe set up a play rather than launch that off balance three. The resulting miss ended up with a fast break three at the other end.

Up Next:

NOW it becomes a test as the Seminoles travel to Hogtown to face the gatros (their ...) aka crocs of XXVI on Friday evening at 7 PM. The O & B are 1-1 coming off a tough loss to Virginia, 73-70. The lizards trailed 72-70 with 11 seconds left and had possession. They never could get a shot off as Walter Clayton turned the ball over and fouled UVa with only two ticks on the clock. Riley Kugal leads that team with the horrible color combo with 20 ppg.

Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT