ADVERTISEMENT

FSU is in worse shape than anyone wanted to admit

whe2491

Star Player
Gold Member
Nov 5, 2019
Palm Bay, FL
And I don't mean worse shape now. The program was in a bad place when Taggert came in, but no one wanted to acknowledge it. The program was in an even worse situation when Norvell came in, and again, no one wanted to out right admit it. The performance of the team last year should have easily convinced everyone that the "rebuild" was going to take at least 4 years before this program began to resemble the program of the past. But, guess what, no one just says the obvious. Just to be clear, when I say no one, I mean the people responsible for leading this program.

Wasn't it obvious how bad the situation was when Norvell practically rebuilt the roster in one winter/spring cycle. Why would anyone think that type of approach was going to result in substantial improvement this year. But hey, let's not be open about it. That type of move is designed to control the bleeding, not stop the bleeding. You stop the bleeding by going through this season knowing it's going to be ugly, but expecting the season to build the character and resolve of the team, and working to get a top notch recruiting class in with real top notch talent. The bleeding stops sometime during next winter and spring. The repair/rebuild begins next summer.

I've been waiting for someone just to be open and tell me what I already know, this is going to take time, there are no shortcuts. By not saying this openly, the leaders of this program are doing a disservice to the players, the fans, and the supporters. Maybe they are saying this to the players, and if they are, good. But why not just say it publicly. Set the expectations, why let the fans and supporters develop any type of unreasonable expectation.

The ND game was a sign that '"something was changing", but it should not have been confused with "something has changed". Remember the bleeding isn't under control, yet. So I ask again, why won't the leadership just be open and say things are changing, but there is still a lot of changing that needs to occur. Why not be open and say the team is going to have highs and lows, and possibly more lows than highs. Be open about the state of the team, and be open about the state of the staff. Let's not forget, this coaching staff is in the middle of doing something that I don't think any of them have ever tried to do, and I'm going to guess there aren't too many people out there who have come ino this type of situation at this type of historical program before.

In my opinion, Norvell's biggest mistake has been not being straight up and open about the state of the program. This has allowed the fan base to develop unreasonable expectations, has allowed the talking heads to develop unreasonable expectations, which just feeds the unreasonable expectations of the fan base.

I believe Norvell can control the bleeding. I believe Norvell can stop the bleeding. I believe Norvell can repair/rebuild the program, but it's going to take longer than anyone has been willing to admit publicly. Norvell has to bring in players that fit the Seminole standard, and he may need to make some coaching changes to fit the Seminole standard, and guess what, that takes time.

So fans/supporters, I think it's time we all admit that this program is no where close to what we want, and we should all be prepared for performances like the ND game and performances like the Jax St. game for the near future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News