ADVERTISEMENT

Golf FSU women set for ACC championships, Lottie Woad to play at Chevron Championship

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Coach Amy Bond builds her Seminoles for the postseason.

Throughout each year, the winningest coach in the history of the program challenges her teams against the best programs and in the toughest tournaments in the nation.

This year has been no different from any other for Bond, as Florida State begins play in the ACC Championship at the Porter’s Neck Country Club on Thursday. Each of the 12 teams will play 54 holes of stroke play (Thursday through Saturday) with the top four teams moving on to the match play (Sunday). The individual ACC Champion will be decided at the end of the stroke play competition, while the ACC Team Champion will be decided following two rounds (semifinals and finals) of match play.

Florida State is ranked 18th nationally and seeded third in the 2024 ACC Championships. Following a practice round of the course on Wednesday, the Seminoles begin championship play at 9:50 a.m. from tee No. 1 on Thursday.

“This is our time of the year,” said Bond, who will coach the Seminoles in the ACC Championship for the 13th time. “We’ve played well against nearly every team in the top 25, won the team championship at the Collegiate Invitational, finished in second at the Florida State Match-Up, and have four top-five team finishes. We have also had each of our golfers who will play in the ACC Championship gain some incredible experiences playing on some tough courses against many of the top individual players in the nation.”

Bond’s Seminoles have finished in the top four in eight of their last 12 appearances at the ACC Championships. Included in that list of championship finishes are runner-up placings in five of the last six years the event has been contested, including five consecutive second-place finishes from 2017-22. The Seminoles finished in fifth place in 2023.

Florida State’s roster for the 2024 ACC Championship includes sophomores Katherine Cook, Madison Hewlett, and Mirabel Ting, junior Kaylah Williams, and seniors Charlotte Heath and Alice Hodge. The Seminoles will be without sophomore Lottie Woad who earned an invitation to play in this week’s Chevron Championship – one of five majors on the LPGA Tour – with her dramatic win at the Augusta National Women’s Amateur on April 6.

“The great thing about our lineup for the ACC Championships is that each of the six girls has played incredible golf this spring,” said Bond. “Each of them has played in pressure situations where they have had to make important decisions as they’ve worked themselves around some difficult courses. The experience also comes from our upperclassmen – Charlotte and Alice – who will play in their fourth ACC Championship each and from Kaylah and Madison who both played in the 2023 ACC Championship. Mirabel finished in second place in the Southland Conference championship last year.”

“Will we miss Lottie? Certainly. Does each of the players who will represent our team have the ability to play well and get us into match play on Sunday? Absolutely. That’s how we have constructed our team year in and year out. Get us to match play and let’s see what happens. I am very confident with each of the girls as they step into the first tee box on Thursday.”

Hodge will play in her fourth ACC Championship event. She finished in a tie for 16th place during the spring of 2022 and carded a 69 in the first round of the tournament that season.

My biggest takeaway from playing in the ACC in each of the three previous years is that golf is so unpredictable,” said Hodge. “Anything can and will happen, so you just have to stay present and never give up.”

Ting will play in the ACC Championship for the first time in time in her career after finishing in second place and leading Augusta University to the team championship at the Southland Conference championship in 2023. She carded scores of 76-71-75 and finished with a 6 over-par score of 222.

Ting learned one extremely valuable lesson as she led Augusta to a championship finish at the Southland championship last year.

“Thing main aspect about the game of golf I learned last year that I carry over into my first ACC championship this week would be that every shot counts,” said Ting. “Last year in my conference we won the championship by one shot over the Cardinals from the University of Incarnate Word.”

As Bond leads her Seminoles into the 2024 ACC Championship, she knows that her players have put themselves in a position to win the first ACC Women’s Golf championship in school history. They’ve all worked hard and are all looking forward to hitting their first shots to calm their nerves.

“Each player on our team is being presented with an incredible opportunity,” said Bond. “I am confident that there are players on this team who will step up and help us achieve our goal of winning an ACC Championship at Porter’s Neck this week.”

Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT