ADVERTISEMENT

Golf FSU's Lottie Woad to play in 2024 Curtis Cup for Great Britain / Ireland Squad

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Florida State All-American and World No. 1 ranked Lottie Woad has been named to represent the Great Britain and Ireland Team at the 43rd Curtis Cup Match at the Sunningdale Golf Club in England, August 30-Sept. 1. The four-time All-American and winner of the 2024 Augusta National Women’s Amateur tournament will make her first appearance in the prestigious Curtis Cup against the United States.

“I'm super happy to have made the Curtis Cup team,” said Woad. “I'm really looking forward to playing the event at Sunningdale, which is a beautiful course. It's not far from my home, so there's going to be a lot of family, friends, and members of my Golf Club (Farnham) supporting me and my teammates. I hope we can win back the Curtis Cup.”

Woad was named to the Curtis Cup team as she returned to the No. 1 spot in the World Amateur Golf Ranking. She has now held the No. 1 ranking in the world for six weeks during her career including five consecutive weeks from June 12, 2024, through July 19, 2024. Woad moved back into the No. 1 spot in the WAGR on July 31, 2024.

The 20-year-old Woad, who begins her junior year at Florida State in September, is a three-time First-Team All-American and was named as the ACC Golfer of the Year in 2024. She finished in second place in the NCAA Championship Finals as a sophomore – the best individual finish in the NCAA Championships in school history. Woad was named the National Freshman of the Year in 2023, has earned All-ACC honors in both of her first two seasons as a Seminole, and was the runner-up for the WGCA and ANNIKA Awards as the National Player of the Year in 2024.

Woad joins the GB&I team looking to defeat the United States for the first time since 2016. The GB&I Team most recently won the event by an 11.5-8.5 margin at the Dun Loaghaire Golf Club in Dublin, Ireland in 2016. The United States leads the competition by a 31-8 margin with three ties in the series which began in 1932.

Woad has competed in three LPGA major championships -- 2024 LPGA Chevron Championship (23rd Place), the 2024 LPGA US Open Championship, and the 2024 LPGA Amundi Evian Championship since winning the ANWA in April.

Woad won the 2022 R&A Girls’ Amateur championship and has represented her country in the Home Internationals, Vagliano Trophy, Women’s World Amateur Team Championship and Arnold Palmer Cup. She will play in the 2024 Home Internationals as a member of Team England during the first week of August (Aug. 6-8).

Academically, Woad is performing as well in the classroom as she is on the course during her Seminole career. She was named to the 2024 All-ACC Academic Women’s Golf Team, the 2024 WGCA All-American Scholar Team, and to the 2024 ACC Academic Honor Roll. She earned Academic All-District Honors by the College Sports Communicators, also in 2024.

Woad is the third Seminole to compete in the Curtis Cup since 2022 when All-Americans Charlotte Heath and Amelia Williamson played in the championship.

2024 Great Britain and Ireland Curtis Cup Team
Lottie Woad, England, Florida State

Sara Byrne, Republic of Ireland, University of Miami
Beth Coulter, Republic of Ireland, Arizona State University
Hannah Darling, Scotland, University of South Carolina
Aine Donegan, Republic of Ireland, Louisiana State University
Lorna McClymont, Scotland, University of Stirling
Euphemie Rhodes, England, Wake Forest University
Patience Rhodes, England, Arizona State University

Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT