ADVERTISEMENT

Halsey named FSU women's cross country coach

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Florida State cross country/track & field head coach Bob Braman announced the addition of Cody Halsey as the women's cross country head coach/assistant for track and field.

"I'm excited to welcome Cody Halsey as our women's head cross country and assistant track and field coach." Braman said. "Coach Halsey has nine years NCAA Division I experience and brings a wealth of knowledge and energy to our program. She did a great job with the Miami distance and middle-distance runners, and I believe she's the best choice to return our ladies to national prominence with those squads."

Halsey comes to Tallahassee after serving as an assistant for Miami from 2019-2023, where she was the head coach for distance running for both the men's and women's teams.

"I'm beyond thrilled for this opportunity of joining Coach Braman's staff here at Florida State," Halsey said. "FSU has a long tradition of excellence in athletics, and I feel honored to be a part of it as the head women's cross country and assistant track and field coach. I would like to thank Michael Alford, Cindy Hartmann and Coach Braman very much for providing me with this incredible opportunity. I'm extremely excited to lead such a hardworking and high achieving group of young women."

While in Coral Gables, Halsey helped the Hurricanes rewrite the record book, establishing 15 program records. Additionally, 53 student-athletes turned in times ranked within the top five in Miami history.

She also led the women's team to the highest finish in program history at the 2022 ACC Cross Country Championships.

Daphnee Lavassas became one of the most decorated distance athletes, earning All-South Region honors in 2022 behind a 22nd place finish in the 6K at the NCAA South Regional Cross Country Championships. It was the best performance for a Miami runner in 17 years. Lavassas also became the first NCAA East Outdoor Track and Field Prelims qualifier in the 10,000m and 5,000m in program history.

Lavassas and Austen Cannon added ACC Performer of the Week honors after their races in at the 2022 FSU Invitational. Lavassas won the 5k with a time of 17:10.09 and Cannon took fifth in the 8K (24:32.60). Lavassas was also named the National Athlete of the Week by the USTFCCCA that same week. Halsey also helped Elle Mezzio earn ACC XC Freshman of the Week during the 2021 season.

Halsey helped three Hurricanes establish nine new individual program records between indoor and outdoor. Lavassas owns the outdoor records in the 3,000m (9:16.46), 5,000m (16:13.27) and 10,000m (33:59.53) in addition to the 3,000m (9:24.02) and 5,000m (16:18.29) indoor. Natalie Varela also established indoor and outdoor marks, set the outdoor record in the 1,500m at 4:20.04 and indoor 1,000m at 2:52.44. Bianca Banato was also the record-setter in the 3,000m steeplechase.

Halsey also led the distance medley relay to a program-best in 2022.

Leading the men's team, Ayman Zahafi became on the most decorated middle distance runners in Miami program history behind three All-American honors. He was the ACC Outdoor Champion in the 800m in 2022 with a time of 1:46.79. He went on to finish 15th at the NCAA Championships that same year.

Zahafi set the outdoor school record in the 1,500m (3:46.68) and Cannon established the new record in the 3,000m (8:29.17). Zahafi established three indoor school records in the 800m (1:47.30), 1,000m (2:24.60) and mile (4:05.83). Cannon holds the 3,000m at (8:17.27).

Miami also had its first men's USATF U20 Outdoor Track and Field Championship qualifier in the 1,500m and 5,000m on her watch, Enrique Borrego.

Prior to Miami, Halsey spent three seasons as an assistant coach for Oklahoma State where she helped lead the OSU distance group to 23 All-America honors and 22 Big 12 titles, while both teams qualified for the NCAA XC Championships.

With her help, three Cowgirls competed in the final of the 1,500m final at the 2019 NCAA Championships. Sinclaire Johnson ran the second-fastest mark (4:05.98) in collegiate history to win the title. Her performance now ranks third all-time and she later lowered her school record at the USATF Outdoor Championships (4:03.72).

During the Indoor season, Halsey helped the women's distance medley relay to a third-place finish at the NCAA Championships, setting the school record.

In 2018, Halsey assisted Isai Rodriguez to a fourth-place finish in the men's 10K at the NCAA Championships, which was the highest in OSU history.

From 2014-16, Halsey was an assistant coach at Saint Louis University where she worked mostly with runners specializing in middle-distance and distance events. In just two seasons, every athlete set personal bests and set school records.

Halsey was a standout student-athlete at North Dakota State University, winning four Summit Leage titles that included the 800m and 1,500m runs as well as the steeplechase and as a member of the 4x400m relay. She is still a part of the program record-setting 4x800 relay and her times in the 800m (2:07.62), 1,500m (4:28.01) and steeplechase (10:44.94) are among the top-10 in NDSU history for outdoor track and field.

Halsey still holds the mile school record at 4:56.62, a mark that was set back in 2009.

In the classroom, Halsey was a USTFCCCA Academic All-American in 2008 and she was a member of the CoSIDA Academic All-America second team.

She began her coaching career with the Bison as a volunteer assistant where she helped develop NCAA qualifiers on a consistent basis.

Halsey received two degrees from NDSU, Zoology (pre-med) and Art with a focus on painting and photography. She began her master's degree in exercise science and finished her thesis.

A native of Martinsdale, Montana, Halsey is the daughter of Sky and Eileen Halsey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT