ADVERTISEMENT

Latson named WBCA region finalist

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Sophomore guard Ta’Niya Latson is one of 52 region finalists nationally for the 10-member WBCA NCAA Division I Coaches’ All-America team, announced on Tuesday by one of collegiate women’s basketball’s most well-known organizations.

The Miami native is seeking her second All-America award this season after being selected to the Associated Press All-America Team last week. Latson finished her sophomore season as just the second Seminole to cross 700+ points in a season, scoring 705. Only her and all-time leader scorer Sue Galkantas (710 points in 1981-82) have crossed the 700-point mark.

Latson finished her second season averaging 21.4 points, 4.2 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.5 steals, leading FSU in scoring, steals and assists. She delivered seven 30-point games in 2023-24, including six in ACC play to tie for the league lead with Virginia Tech’s Elizabeth Kitley.

As the NCAA Women’s Basketball world heads into the Sweet 16, Latson ranks in the Top 15 nationally in points scored (eighth; 705), field goals made (10th; 258), free throws made (11th; 162) and points per game (13th; 21.4).

One of her many highlights this past season was her three consecutive 30-point games against Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and NC State from Dec. 29-Jan. 4.

NCAA Division I head coaches who are WBCA members may nominate players from their own teams for Coaches’ All-America. They then vote for the top eight players in their respective regions from among those players who are nominated. The WBCA NCAA Division I Awards Committee, which is composed of head coaches from each region who are elected by their peers, may select up to 12 additional at-large finalists from the remaining pool of nominees.

The committee will meet in Cleveland in conjunction with the annual WBCA Convention to select the 2024 Wade Trophy winner and the 2024 WBCA NCAA Division I Coaches’ All-America team. Both will be announced on April 4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT