ADVERTISEMENT

Hard to Focus right now.

goldmom

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Jacksonville
The Blue Angels are screaming over my office right now. Practicing for the air show here at Jacksonville Beach right now!

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I know this is sacrilege to say in Northwest Florida, but does anyone else find the whole idea of the Blue Angels to be some combination of the following:

Pointless
Excessively Dangerous to many, many people
Lame
Highly, highly overrated

?

In my entirely unscientific study of just looking at the wiki listed training accidents it looks like there's been on only 2 Blue Angel crashes (only one of which was fatal) in the last 15 years versus 57 Navy crashes not attributed to military action. So honestly, not that bad considering how often they fly and how dangerous their techniques are compared to "normal" flights.

I will say that in this completely unscientific study (because who knows how accurate the wiki is), I was surprised at how many crashes F-18s (over half of those listed in wiki) have been involved in compared to other inventory in the navy and especially compared to the F-16s and F-15s.

you should try playing tennis with those things buzzing overhead.

In my entirely unscientific study of just looking at the wiki listed training accidents it looks like there's been on only 2 Blue Angel crashes (only one of which was fatal) in the last 15 years versus 57 Navy crashes not attributed to military action. So honestly, not that bad considering how often they fly and how dangerous their techniques are compared to "normal" flights.

I will say that in this completely unscientific study (because who knows how accurate the wiki is), I was surprised at how many crashes F-18s (over half of those listed in wiki) have been involved in compared to other inventory in the navy and especially compared to the F-16s and F-15s.

Go look at AV-8B mishap statistics and get back with me. Had four close friends killed by a variant of that airplane. It is the widow-maker. F-18s are an easy airplane to fly in comparison, but there's a ton of the them between the Navy and USMC and they operate, generally, in a hell of lot more dangerous take off and landing environments than USAF birds.

you should try playing tennis with those things buzzing overhead.
That's nothing. You should have tried to concentrate when locked in a closet with the Hoover vacuum cleaner running...momma used to run out of patience with us boys.

I've always wondered why tennis players need quiet to play. I never needed it & I played a ton of tennis. I think it's silly. I'd rather it not be like playing in a library, like pansy ass golf.

True. Usually when my wife and I are playing its on the big communal courts so there's always a ton of conversations and even yelling.

I've always wondered why tennis players need quiet to play. I never needed it & I played a ton of tennis. I think it's silly. I'd rather it not be like playing in a library, like pansy ass golf.
I don't think that either sport requires dead silence. I bet anyone could play either with constant crowd noise similar to what is going down at KC right now. But if it's deadly quiet and someone makes a loud noise it could be distracting.

It wasn't so much the NOISE. They were flying so low they were very distracting.

F-15 & F-16 are Air Force planes. The F-18 is Navy. Totally different flying environments...

Spent many years of my youth living on NAS Pensacola. They'd fly over the golf course and base area all the time along with scores of other fighter aircraft. It was very cool to say the least...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT