ADVERTISEMENT

Have any of you ever dined here? It's rated the #1 restaurant in FLA...

Re: Have any of you ever dined here? It's rated the #1 restaurant in

I eat at Bern's once a year. It rates up there with all the other great steak restaurants I've been to like Sparks, Keens and Woolfgang's in NY.

For my money Bern's is the best steakhouse in America. It's consistently excellent. They offer a ton of different steak options and accommodations. And their wine list is second to none. I've had better individual steaks at other restaurants, but haven't found one as consistently good across the board.

Originally posted by FSUTribe76:

Originally posted by Gonolz:

Originally posted by NoleNewsIsGoodNews:

Bern's is very overrated unless you like dining in a weird venue with 70+ Year old Grey Hairs....it's living on reputation...a great wine list...and The Dessert Room....as that generation dies off it will struggle for Business as their are easily 5 places just in The International Plaza Area alone that have a better steak and where the younger generation dines...all my opinion of course....The Number 1 Restaurant in Florida is Joe's Stone Crab based on food and experience...it's where ya start in Florida and then work your way down the list
Of the places you are thinking of, I have probably only been to Capital Grille and Ruth's Chris. Where else there has great steak and in your view, which place is best?
Charley's which is right around the corner is a quality steakhouse better than Ruth's Chris and MUCH better than Capital Grille, but none are better Berns outright. In a bang for your buck category Charley's might beat Berns but not straight up. Flemings is right around the corner as well but I've never cared for it.

This post was edited on 2/19 2:36 PM by FSUTribe76
Maybe I just had a rare miss at Charley's, but I've been once and it wasn't a great experience. The steak was fine, but not outstanding, they undercooked my lobster tail, service was so-so, and the atmosphere seemed just average.

Ruth's Chris and Capital Grille here were both solid, but not as good as the ones in D.C. I have been to a Flemings before (in Ohio?), but not the one in Tampa.

It wasn't the best steak I've ever had, but the best overall steak experience I have had in Tampa was at Bern's. Good quality, properly cooked steak, good salad and sides, excellent service and great atmosphere and at a reasonable price. The tour of the kitchen and wine cellar and the dessert room to finish make for a great experience.

Joes more of a historical place. At least around florida, they were amongst the first to serve stone crabs. They have their own boats, at least they did. They also seem to have larger crabs than you can easily get elsewhere. But other stuff on their menu is also good. It's a 100 year old restaurant.

Originally posted by nole65:
It is definitely quite the experience. I am curious where the best steak in Florida IS in your opinion.

Tough question. As far as the steakhouse chains go, I like Ruth's Chris the best. It's tough to beat that plate of sizzling butter in my opinion. I also like Steak 954 in Ft Lauderdale a lot as well.

Bern's is a great experience and there is a lot to love about it, but the steaks I've had there haven't been amazing. Don't get me wrong, they're good, but certainly not great.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

IMO they got it right with Oklahoma... Cheevers was my favorite restaurant when I lived there, cool place with great food.

Christner's (formerly Del Frisco) in Orlando (Winter Park) on Lee Rd. used to be my favorite place for a steak, but on recent trip it lacked that special vibe. Maybe it was the overly attentive/talkative server or maybe it was the cheesy magician who came to our table that lessened the experience, but it certainly wasn't the food. The food was still top notch. I guess the difference for most people in steak house comes to ambiance and service. Capital Grille is starting to surpass Christner's for me in both those regards. On my visit to CG last time I felt the servers were there when I wanted them, but not more than necessary and the ambiance/vibe in the place was a bit more high brow than what is going on at Christner's these days. That said, Christner's is a family owned joint so it is a little more casual and probably caters to families a bit more than couples or business dinners. I happen to not have kids yet so that's probably why I have begun to lean towards CG.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Berne is a great experience. I've eaten in the dining room about a dozen times, in thr dessert room about double that, and just had a steak sandwich and a good bottle of wine at the bar about double that.

I stay across the street at the Epicurian 2 or 3 times a month.

When you think about the "Farm to table" fad, Berns is the original. A tremendous amount of their food comes from their own farm, and they farm a percentage of their own beef.

I disagree that Berns will go away at the hands of trendier steak chains. There will always be a spot for a clasic steak house like that.

I'll be at the bar there this Monday night.

FreeFly, I live about 2 blocks west of Bern's in the little neighborhood west of the Expressway, we should grab a beer sometime.

By the way, I love watching the waiters make the "tableside" Ceasar salad.

The Bern's experience is my family's favorite, we go there for most special occasions. I do have some grey hair, but I'm only 41.

I'll bet anyone here that the Charley's on Cypress will be gone before Bern's.

A fantastic place.Great service. Great food. The desert room is a must. Well worth the wad of money you will pay for a great evening out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT