ADVERTISEMENT

Head Coach Hot Board 1.0 w/follow-up nuggets

Dot Com

Owner and administrator of Warchant.com
Mar 29, 2002
Tallahassee, Florida
warchant.com
Here is our initial Head Coach Hot Board. Every name listed in the top six comes from an FSU source so we aren't just throwing names out there. Some may come as a surprise, but some may not.

A few follow-up nuggets:

* The talk about Bob Stoops being looked at is legitimate. We heard that his name was on FSU's short list yesterday. However, I will caution that we checked with a source close to Stoops and it sounds like he's pretty content in his retirement. That's why he's listed "on the fence" and not a primary candidate. But the lines of communication are open so you never know.

* I was really surprised when I got confirmation that Kevin Sumlin was on the list. Even though he's being looked at, I can't imagine that FSU would hire a guy just fired by A&M.

* There's definitely some debate about Charlie Strong. Some are pushing for him while others are not. Not really sure what his chances are.

* I did hear Brent Venables name come up a few days ago but there hasn't been much buzz lately so not sure if he's dropped off the list or not.

* My opinion is still that Willie Taggart is probably the No. 1 choice. But I'll caution that it's hardly a slam dunk and a lot could still happen before FSU makes a final decision (assuming Fisher is gone).

* NEW: There have been several question about Scott Frost not being on the list. I mentioned this when we ran the story about Taggart and Fuente being top candidates a couple days ago -- FSU initially looked into Frost but quickly learned he was totally focused on Nebraska. That ship has sailed.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News