ADVERTISEMENT

High Dollar / High End Restaurants

I don't have a "bucket list" per se, but I really hope to get to the Big Texan in Lubbock one day and do this:

960x540.jpg

That was Japanese Miyazaki beef. It's the best beef in the world. I certainly wouldn't order it every time I go out for dinner, but definitely worth trying it....at least to me it was. You can request to see the nose print birth certificate of the cow to see it's lineage.

Reactions: SoddyNole
Bogeys is wonderful. Havent been to the new location. To me is every bit as good as the more acclaimed restaurants on the other end of the county on 30A.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I wouldn't advise going to Lubbock in search of The Big Texan Steak Ranch...it's in Amarillo.

We don't do high end very often. The most we've ever spent on a meal was a few years ago in Charleston at Hall's Chophouse. $250 after tip but they gave us free drinks and dessert. $250 was for 2 steaks, a baked potato and some creamed corn. My wife got a bone in filet that was $85 plus another $12 for a dollop of truffle butter. The dry aged ribeye was the best steak I've ever had but it's not something we'll do very often.

We don't do high end very often. The most we've ever spent on a meal was a few years ago in Charleston at Hall's Chophouse. $250 after tip but they gave us free drinks and dessert. $250 was for 2 steaks, a baked potato and some creamed corn. My wife got a bone in filet that was $85 plus another $12 for a dollop of truffle butter. The dry aged ribeye was the best steak I've ever had but it's not something we'll do very often.
See, this is why I think steakhouses are overrated ripoffs. At least if you're dropping big bucks on something like Free's meal or the Mizayaki beef you have a good, interesting meal AND a unique experience for the memory bank. Every steakhouse I've ever been to you get a steak not much different than you can cook at home, potato and creamed corn or asparagus served in the same dark stereotypical wood-paneled room with a cocky arrogant waitstaff.

That was Japanese Miyazaki beef. It's the best beef in the world. I certainly wouldn't order it every time I go out for dinner, but definitely worth trying it....at least to me it was. You can request to see the nose print birth certificate of the cow to see it's lineage.

I'm sure it was delish, I've had waygu recently so I can relate, but still...

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
See, this is why I think steakhouses are overrated ripoffs. At least if you're dropping big bucks on something like Free's meal or the Mizayaki beef you have a good, interesting meal AND a unique experience for the memory bank. Every steakhouse I've ever been to you get a steak not much different than you can cook at home, potato and creamed corn or asparagus served in the same dark stereotypical wood-paneled room with a cocky arrogant waitstaff.

The people-watching at the bar in a high-end steakhouse can be a lot of fun. Bones and and Hal's here in Atlanta are prime spots.

Hey yea, I've eaten at Bogey's old locale!
Bogeys is wonderful. Haven't been to the new location. To me is every bit as good as the more acclaimed restaurants on the other end of the county on 30A.
The new location is much nicer than when they were in the hotel. We always go upstairs where you don't need a reservation and have a much more relaxed atmosphere. Usually, our drinks are waiting for us at the bar before we sit down. Sam takes care of us well.
Let me know the next time you're in here and I'll buy you a drink.

!cid_Bogeys11_jpg@1439170123.jpg

Quick question, just got back from 16 shots of Pappy at $40 a pop and BBQ chicken on Nan bread at $8. Does this qualify as a "meal"?

We are foodies, and have done a lot of great places. Most expensive was Robuchon in Vegas. Got the tasting menu with high wine pairing. $3500 for 2 but holy lord was the food on point and we drank a whole bottle of DRC, plus some other bottles that are just sick. They made money on us, but not much. Wouldn't trade that night for anything.

I’ve been lucky enough like many on here to go to high end restaurants all across the country in a lot of major cities. Being in the restaurant business and a part of a restaurant family has given me a unique perspective of dining. Besides the normal high end steak chains and the popular named fine dining meals in cities like NYC, Chicago and San Fran I would point out two restaurants that I’ve visited where the experience stood out to me.

One is a place called Canlis in Seattle. It is fine dining and would definitly garner a Michelin Star if they were awarded in that city. The location, history, service, food and the fact that it is family owned and operated for over 50 years made it a really great experience. The service was absolutely extraordinary.

The other is L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in Vegas. This place, imo, is a must visit if you are a foodie and or in the business. Sitting around the open kitchen, watching these chefs do their magic is quite a experience. I was watching a chef creating a fried lobster plate for 10 minutes before it was served to me. Just a great place to go for those that appreciate cooking.

Reactions: RTM58 and cmanole
The other is L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in Vegas. This place, imo, is a must visit if you are a foodie and or in the business. Sitting around the open kitchen, watching these chefs do their magic is quite a experience. I was watching a chef creating a fried lobster plate for 10 minutes before it was served to me. Just a great place to go for those that appreciate cooking.

Aren't those somewhat common now? I've been to two in Nashville (the aforementioned Catbird Seat and Bastion) and have reservations for third, The Chef and I, next month.

Aren't those somewhat common now? I've been to two in Nashville (the aforementioned Catbird Seat and Bastion) and have reservations for third, The Chef and I, next month.

I’m not sure how common they are. I’ve never heard of the places you mentioned. Just speaking of my experience.

The documentary on Steve Aoki, I will Sleep when I am Dead, is really well done, and it looks a fair amount at his relationship with his father, who founded Benihana. It also has Devon for eye candy.

I took the wife to a place in Destin that has since closed called the Copper Grill. Had amazing lobster. It was 20yrs ago and cost us about $200. All I could think of was 12 hrs from then I was going to be crapping a $100 turd. Seriously I have the found the best food always seem to be the little hole in the wall out of the way dives. I can't believe anyone name Bonefish as a good place to eat. Have dine there a few times and always left hungry. The entrees though small are decent enough but the sides are awful.

I don't have a "bucket list" per se, but I really hope to get to the Big Texan in Lubbock one day and do this:

960x540.jpg
I watched a couple of guys try to do this one night....
Different strategies were in play. One guy went gung ho, eating fast without drinking water, etc... the other guy was more deliberate and me and my buddy thought he might get it done. It is a huge amount of food and they almost both slowed down dramatically at the same time. Fast eater showed signs of dry heaves, but never up chucked. Other guy got a second wind and did some damage in his second round, only to stop.
The crowd cheered both, but neither one got close to finishing it all.
Meanwhile, I ordered prime rib which was not very good. Oh well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT