ADVERTISEMENT

High School Football Canceled for Fall - Virginia

This is all about avoiding risk. No state wants to deal with legal issues in a civil matter. Best way to avoid that is to cancel everything. And who suffers the most? The kids that politicians care so much about. What a joke.

Maryland will be next. Prince George’s County announced students in school until late January and their teachers union is pushing for all districts to work under the same rules.

This has gone too far on many levels. Its absolutely absurd.

My kid needs a youth football season and daughter a cheer season. They also need to go to school and have the right not to wear a mask so they can breath normal air for hours at a time. How is it right to deprive our children of a good learning environment while breathing normal, its not healthy and not safe for them to not breath right for hours every day.

I'd like to add one thing...I have read many posts from folks on here who sincerely believe that things should be locked down more strictly. To protect the most vulerable. I respect and understand that perspective.

There's no good decision here. It comes down to whose's lives are you wanting to protect...those who are old and high risk to have serious complications, the (not paid) athletes, their families, etc.

There's no EASY decision here. I just hope leaders are making decisions with accurate info. (The info isn't accurate, though.)

Live in Stafford VA and my neighbor is head football coach at a major high school in area---he has one kid that is major Div 1 recruiting target and several that are borderline FBS---this certainly doesn't help their chances.

My kid needs a youth football season and daughter a cheer season. They also need to go to school and have the right not to wear a mask so they can breath normal air for hours at a time. How is it right to deprive our children of a good learning environment while breathing normal, its not healthy and not safe for them to not breath right for hours every day.
It is extremely unhealthy from a mental health standpoint. They are being deprived of not only a good structured learning environment, but also structured social interaction at a very critical stage in their lives.

Yeah man this is crazy! My 6 yr old needs to be protected from wearing a mask! A novel coronavirus however....just rub some dirt in it! ... Am I doing this right?

This is all about avoiding risk. No state wants to deal with legal issues in a civil matter. Best way to avoid that is to cancel everything. And who suffers the most? The kids that politicians care so much about. What a joke.
Not to mention operating under covid would likely blow up their budget.

California (LA and San Diego counties) has already issued the fact that all public schools will be distance learning for the fall semester and will re-evaluate for the spring later on.

Reactions: Random_John
Virginia High School League officially cancels fall high school football.

will hurt the seniors specially if wanting a scholly .. H S FB great for building bonds and character and life lesson

BUT it is not a money issue .. not a money maker and is bad for kids and coaches health .. many in Fla do not think it gets played .. a really connected friend in HS FB in Florida is guessing his season gets cancelled.

Reactions: chrish25
horrible decision, a few hundred people have died in the entire country in five months. yet kids are losing their last year of sports because of a nursing home killer. gotta love it

Football is about the fans, faculty and the coaches not just students .. they are close together in mass .. like a theater and it is not safe ....

We would not be playing college FB if it were not for the money involved .. dont be fooled

Reactions: Hogpynn
Heart breaks for all those seniors who can't play together 1 last time... or the kids who might blossom this year and have an opportunity for a scholarship... all of this is horse spit

Live in Stafford VA and my neighbor is head football coach at a major high school in area---he has one kid that is major Div 1 recruiting target and several that are borderline FBS---this certainly doesn't help their chances.

It’s life altering decisions for kids who may or may not be in a position to get a free education. People say, “players will get scholarships anyway” don’t realize how important a senior year can be in football. If Joe Burrow doesn’t play in 2019, he isn’t sitting on generational wealth. There are plenty of high school juniors who could develop from no offers to a scholarship at one of the many levels of the game.

Terrible.

Reactions: kdswain and aawash
horrible decision, a few hundred people have died in the entire country in five months. yet kids are losing their last year of sports because of a nursing home killer. gotta love it

https://www.acsh.org/sites/default/files/coronavirus covid death age total deaths percent.png

Thanks for your lack of concern for real people. I can attest that I personally know 6 (not 1 not 0 ) but 6 people that have died from Covid-19 All under the age of 50. Thanks for you lack of caring. I sure hope it doesn't hit your family like it has mine and people I know.

Reactions: AmstaffNole
It’s life altering decisions for kids who may or may not be in a position to get a free education. People say, “players will get scholarships anyway” don’t realize how important a senior year can be in football. If Joe Burrow doesn’t play in 2019, he isn’t sitting on generational wealth. There are plenty of high school juniors who could develop from no offers to a scholarship at one of the many levels of the game.

Terrible.

You know what else is life altering? Contracting a novel virus and suffering unknown long term effects or even possibly dying. But yeah you right....

Amstaff, a question that needs to be asked......how many HS players lives will be impacted with no football (that's what this specific thread is about) in a negative way? How many will be arrested, getting in trouble, etc?

If HS football on a national level is cancelled, is that potential number lower or higher than the number of people who will be physically effected directly from the virus?

Remember, coach bowden gave kids 2 or 3 chances to stay on the team. He'd say: 'where are they going to go if they are not playing?' they'd get in major trouble with the law, that's where.

Got to ask these questions then make the best decision possible.

Reactions: aawash
Amstaff, a question that needs to be asked......how many HS players lives will be impacted with no football (that's what this specific thread is about) in a negative way? How many will be arrested, getting in trouble, etc?

If HS football on a national level is cancelled, is that potential number lower or higher than the number of people who will be physically effected directly from the virus?

Remember, coach bowden gave kids 2 or 3 chances to stay on the team. He'd say: 'where are they going to go if they are not playing?' they'd get in major trouble with the law, that's where.

Got to ask these questions then make the best decision possible.

We have to stop acting like these kids only options are to play a game. How about we focus on fixing that mindset in the first place. Maybe this is a good time to actually educate our youth and reinforce that they are capable of being more than just a football player or an athlete. Scholarships are great sure but there are pell grants and community colleges available to help them off the field too!

Reactions: chrish25
I live in VA and Covid is mostly contained except for the DC suburbs. This is an over-reaction from the hood wearing governor.
The decision was made made the VHSL executive board...unanimously.
Not the governor.

Virginia is a blue-leaning state. Of course they’re going to postpone football until spring. Are you sitting down because you’ll see the same thing from California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Colorado, New York, New Jersey, and New England. As a matter of fact, if it were up to those states, there would be no football at all; it’s just too darn violent.
I knew it would get political.
Covid doesnt care if you are blue, red. yellow, or green.

California (LA and San Diego counties) has already issued the fact that all public schools will be distance learning for the fall semester and will re-evaluate for the spring later on.

Didn't Orange county, CA say "forget social distancing! We love the COVID. Let's go COVID" clap-clap....clap-clap-calp

You know what else is life altering? Contracting a novel virus and suffering unknown long term effects or even possibly dying. But yeah you right....

There are life altering injuries and deaths in football.

Shut the sport down for good.

There are life altering injuries and deaths in football.

Shut the sport down for good.

You remember the story about how that DL tore his ACL and then went home and his family caught torn ACLs from him? Yeah me either....

You remember the story about how that DL tore his ACL and then went home and his family caught torn ACLs from him? Yeah me either....

Do you remember the genome studies in Iceland and The Netherlands that demonstrate kids do not pass the virus on to adults?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT