ADVERTISEMENT

How addicted are you to your smart phone?

BrianNole777

All-ACC
Jan 27, 2023
Near Washington D.C.
You can look at your phone usage/screen time on many phones.

I average about 10 hours a day on my smart phone. I admit, I'm totally addicted. :)

Granted, about 2 hours of those a day are on Waze or YouTube. I often use both of them while driving and listen to educational documentaries in history/philosophy/politics so it's not a complete waste of time.

But, I admit, I am addicted to my smart phone.

Anyone else totally hooked?

Not as bad as the younger generation but I use it more than I should. In my defense, I take the train to and from work, so that is about 3 hours a day.

It's too easy to just ask my boyfriend Google something I can't recall than sit and think about it. There was an interesting study that showed dementia and recall issues have increased significantly since the smartphone became a staple. We are no longer using all the pathways in our brain for recall and as the saying goes if you don't use it, you lose it.

Last edited:
Today's society has become soft and lazy due to technology. Order everything (groceries, meals delivered, household goods, mobile car care, pool service, lawn care, etc.) and do nothing yourself. The cell phone is wonderful for emergencies for sure. I see families of say four, at restaurants that all are on their phones and there is no interaction or paying attention to each other. I think some parents use technology as a convenient baby sitter. I say use it when necessary but don't abuse it.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Today's society has become soft and lazy due to technology. Order everything (groceries, meals delivered, household goods, mobile car care, pool service, lawn care, etc.) and do nothing yourself. The cell phone is wonderful for emergencies for sure. I see families of say four, at restaurants that all are on their phones and there is no interaction or paying attention to each other. I think some parents use technology as a convenient baby sitter. I say use it when necessary but don't abuse it.

Good points.

Imagine giving kids smartphones considering what is just a click away on the internet.

Yikes. 😞

I just read a study proving that one’s smartphone addiction becomes highly predictive of imminent death if he or she starts > 50% of the threads visible on the front page of any message board.

It was in The Epoch Times, so very obviously well sourced and credible.

My son is a math teacher and he says he has a couple of students in each class who are always on their phone. He tells them to put it away and pay attention and they ignore him. They don’t cause any trouble they just don’t pay attention. Of course, they don’t pass the tests.

• Wow
On a related topic, I wish Congress would spend the vast majority of 2023 crafting and passing whatever legislation is necessary to make Facebook or other social media sharing of copy-and-paste challenges (“I bet nobody will share this…”), true friend tests, personality quizzes, long debunked internet hoaxes, personal bowel and other bodily updates, clever contrarian memes about complex academic/scientific topics, etc. capital crimes, with an expedited path to conviction and punishment.

On a related topic, I wish Congress would spend the vast majority of 2023 crafting and passing whatever legislation is necessary to make Facebook or other social media sharing of copy-and-paste challenges (“I bet nobody will share this…”), true friend tests, personality quizzes, long debunked internet hoaxes, personal bowel and other bodily updates, clever contrarian memes about complex academic/scientific topics, etc. capital crimes, with an expedited path to conviction and punishment.
If they did that, how would I know who to vote for?

Reactions: NoleSince1961
Did you ever get in a situation where you needed a cell phone and didn't have one?

Two days before Christmas this year, I was driving down the highway and saw someone in a car that was in the grass with the front crumpled.

I called 911 and reported it.
Leave my phone at home while in town. Never take it to church.

or they could just ban all social media along with Tik Tok.

Reactions: F4Gary
or they could just ban all social media along with Tik Tok.
Sorry, still need FB for birthday reminders, checking out whacko criminals’ pages for clues they were gonna snap, and for secretly chuckling at classmates’ weight gain (the misery loves company type of chuckling.)

Sorry, still need FB for birthday reminders, checking out whacko criminals’ pages for clues they were gonna snap, and for secretly chuckling at classmates’ weight gain (the misery loves company type of chuckling.)
Cant do it. Friends and relatives are always telling me to get on there so I can keep in touch. I tell them they will have to sell it better.

No joke on my end, my phone just a tool and that’s how I use it. Not on a crusade here just don’t stay on it very much just for running my business. No Facebook, twitter or any social media only Osceola because I love my Seminoles!

You can look at your phone usage/screen time on many phones.

I average about 10 hours a day on my smart phone. I admit, I'm totally addicted. :)

Granted, about 2 hours of those a day are on Waze or YouTube. I often use both of them while driving and listen to educational documentaries in history/philosophy/politics so it's not a complete waste of time.

But, I admit, I am addicted to my smart phone.

Anyone else totally hooked?

I‘m averaging about 9 hours of screen time per my iPhone 14 Pro Max. But I use it HEAVILY for work, probably half or more of my average workday is spent on it for phone calls, zoom calls, texts, emails, etc…

There are a lot of people who use devices instead of bibles in church.
But if you do bring them to church, especially if they’re gettin’ kinda grungy, I think you need to raise your hand and let the preacher know.
I’m not a churchgoer, but I’ve always heard that one big reason for going is to confess da vices, and have them cleansed.

Reactions: rtpnole
If they did that, how would I know who to vote for?
Good one😎. But there are still newsfeed sites that bring you everything from Fox News to MSNBC and everything in between. I’m not at all conservative but we get the WSJ (the paper one) every day. Definitely provides perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT