ADVERTISEMENT

How did you become a FSU fan???

We used to play football in a field off of Mission Road. One of the kids that played with us lived across from the field and we would go to his house for a drink. He introduced me to his dad. His dad was Mr. Peterson. I later learned he was Coach Pete. Ive been a fan ever since.
Dang, Beche!! You met my mostest favorite football coach/hero of all time. Pete was one of the men who introduced the pro passing game to college and made a resource poor, kinda off the beaten path, southern independent school relevant in the game of football. Just ask Coach Bear....
Nice. BTW, I ran with some boys off of Mission Road...good athletes over that way. We wound up at Godby. Go Noles!!

Last edited:
Bobby Bowden and the uprising Seminoles going on the road to take on anyone anytime impressed me earlier. When it came time to pick a college my criteria included far from home, good weather, not too close, but not too far from the beach, good football and great party atmosphere with a lot of hot girls. Oh yeah, and it had to have some type of academic program so my parents would pay for it.

Pops was one of the guys who came home to help the FSCW go co-ed once again after WW2... returning the original state school to its former prominence as The Florida State University.
He and a brother who was waiting to get into Medical College of Va. in pharmacy were the first, followed by my mom, (who later taught there), an Aunt, cousins, an older and younger brother, friends, neighbors, generally smart folks, winners, cutie pies, players, champions, etc...
I left Tally before college, but partly due to attending games from 8 years of age onward, have bled that garnet and gold steady up till now. Both kids have attended schools in NC, but are huge Seminole fans. Wifey is a Tar Heel by raising, but does the chop especially when soccer is the game...

Last edited:
My father and uncle both graduated from FSU. I grew up in Atlanta but would attend one FSU game a year with them starting around age 6. Only took one trip to become a Seminole for like. While my dad always wanted me to, he never pressured me to choose FSU. But when it came time I only applied to one college. Parents dropped me off at my dorm on 2002 and I'm still here.

I signed my offer letter it was 2 weeks before OU played FSU in the tittle game in 2001. Coincidentally, I was choosing between OU and FSU as my final 2 schools. Both schools offered me full scholarships, but FSU won out due to location and scenery.

I was on my way to take my first official visit to FSU a few days before the Championship game. I remember the weather being really cold, lows near 20, highs in the 40's.

You came to FSU on athletic scholarship? I never knew that.

I grew up and went to HS in Orlando. Had lots of friends that were Gators and Seminoles. Went up to visit some friends at FSU for a game. Walked into stadium at student section and started walking up steps. Saw one beautiful girl after another wearing these yellow shorts with garnet FSU across the butt. That was it for me. I was a Nole from that day forward.

Born in tall when my parents were students there. I went there and so did my wife. I was never going to like any other school thank God.

Some pretty decent stories here, from coaches in the 1940's to pretty girls.

Lots of little things just added up.
1. proximity. I'm from Jackson County, which is off I10 kinda between Tally and Panama City.
2. family influences. None of us were HUGE football fans, but my older sister kinda liked FSU. One of my step-cousins was a big fan and I remember a conversation at church when we were supposed to be singing a hymn. I never really liked football; my high school didn't play it; I thought it was boring. He starts talking about this game where FSU threw the ball all over the field and that piqued my interest. I guess you could say it was a religious experience.
3. gator influences. Any time I mentioned that I leaned a little toward FSU (even though I was the furthest thing from a fanatic of anyone) the gators' fans would act like I had worms crawling out of my ears, like something was mentally wrong with me. I didn't know for sure if I wanted to identify with FSU, but I damn sure knew I would never be a gator.
4. Bobby. nuff said

You can tell when you belong to something when it hurts for them to fail. I guess the 6(?) game slide vs the gates in the late 80's was when I knew because it ticked me off so badly.

Some pretty decent stories here, from coaches in the 1940's to pretty girls.

The "pretty girls" things reminds me of something I left out of mine. I think its' been said before in several (much) older threads but when I was a senior in high school "Girls Gone Wild" was still fairly new and that was a popular topic for the horny high school guys at my school. I remember watching that video and hearing "we go to FSU" or "FLORIDA STATE!" for a ton of the girls, obviously due primarily to filming locations typically being in Florida.

Anyway, that stuck in the back of my mind. At the time, I figured it was like that all day every day. Wasn't quite as advertised, but it also was way better than back home. Never underestimate the power of hormones in a teenager to influence a huge decision.

The "pretty girls" things reminds me of something I left out of mine. I think its' been said before in several (much) older threads but when I was a senior in high school "Girls Gone Wild" was still fairly new and that was a popular topic for the horny high school guys at my school. I remember watching that video and hearing "we go to FSU" or "FLORIDA STATE!" for a ton of the girls, obviously due primarily to filming locations typically being in Florida.

Anyway, that stuck in the back of my mind. At the time, I figured it was like that all day every day. Wasn't quite as advertised, but it also was way better than back home. Never underestimate the power of hormones in a teenager to influence a huge decision.

When I went to UNH, we always looked for the girls who went to a all girls high school, probably Catholic, where their entire lives, they were told they can't and no.no..no.. from their parents to their teachers to their clergy...... no means yes when they get away from home!

Reactions: dmm5157
My Dad tagged along with his buddies from Pensacola who would become the members of the first FSU football team. He had great stories from that time and they always included being outnumbered by the beautiful female students. I remember listening to the radio in the early 60's to the legendary Coach Pete teams. Watching FSU beat Oklahoma in the Gator Bowl was awesome. I was hooked at an early age.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bartdog
Moved to Tally in 80' when Bobby ball was just getting rolling. Had never really followed college sports before that, just Boston pro sports. Ended up staying for 35 years, had season tickets to the big three. Wife went back to school and got a couple degrees there.

Have absolutely no ties to FSU or FL. Born and raised in AZ and growing up it was all about Peter Warrick. Yea I was probably a bandwagon fan when I was younger as I loved doing the chop but stuck with them during the lost decade and have been rooting for them since. Been to a couple of games in Tallahassee and went to the National Title game as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT