• Laptop Bag

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Rolling Briefcase

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Purse with a Laptop Compartment

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fancy Leather Satchel

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Hardside Metal Briefcase (preferably handcuffed to your wrist)

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Some other method (please describe)

Votes: 4 6.1%

• Total voters

NDallasRuss

Veteran Seminole Insider
Dec 5, 2002
Purcellville, VA
Walking into the office I saw a guy in probably his mid-50s, wearing a suit, and also wearing a laptop backpack on his back.

To me, this is a really silly look - a grown man with a backpack like he's off to summer camp. I know that the backpacks are the preferred method for most all the Big 4 kids out of college, but at some point don't you move away from backpacks? Or is it just me?

As for me, I prefer the Ogio City Corp Messenger Bag - I've had different iterations of the same bag for a long time. It's holds a ton of crap, and the bag itself is pretty light. This is that:

mn1_000584.jpg

I usually don't bring my laptop to meetings unless I'm doing a presentation. I usually just bring my iPad which I just carry in its nice keyboard case like a book.

I use an all in one in my office, a laptop that I bring with me during travel as a transportable office and then my phone and tablet are all that I use when in court, meeting a client at their office or in public meetings.

90% of the time, I just use the backpack that my company provided. I work in a large IT company, so most of the people, including the CFO, wear jeans every single day.

If I am dressed a little nicer, I'll use a Satchel bag.

Reactions: dmm5157
my laptop is a surface pro 3. I used to carry it in a leather folio-like thing, but that negated the kickstand and slightly messed up the angle of the keyboard. Now I carry it in this microfiber (nylon?)sleeve:

6819343_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

Don't have a work laptop, but when I travel with my personal one I tend to just throw it in my backpack for flights. Just got a new laptop though that is a bit bigger than then last one so I may have to find a new bag. Was thinking of the satchel-style bags.

I'm a backpack guy in the office and bring just my iPad into customer appointments. Made the move 2 years ago and the shoulders/back has thanked me.

I have a laptop backpack and I have a leather messenger bag that looks about like a nice leather version of your Ogio pack. If I'm going to a business meeting or I'm in a suit I carry the leather bag, if I'm in scrubs and going into the operating room I typically carry the backpack, more so I have my hands free to carry other things.

In reality I like the backpack 10x more than the super nice leather bag because I'm a pragmatist, but just as you said, it looks a bit goofy for a grown man in a suit or business clothes to be wearing a back pack. In scrubs or sometimes bus casual ie with a golf shirt I think I can get away with it.

100% the company bag that is provided to is. Our IT group bitches as us if we don't use the bags they provided. They are very well padded and provide the best level of protection.

We aren't suit wearers, we're engineers, so looking nerdy is not their concern.

For the upper level managers, they get nice leather bags and that makes sense. It does look goofy to see a suit carrying a backpack into a meeting, even if backpacks are more practical than satchels or brief case style carrying cases.

Saddened by the knowledge that so many alumni carry their own bags--in a backpack, no less. Usually two sled-dogs follow me -- one carries the bag, the other a banker's box for files. Bag carrying sled-dog is the lunch, coffee retriever. I must say this IT world or corporate America where you must carry your own bag is truly foreign,.

Reactions: vevois23
Saddened by the knowledge that so many alumni carry their own bags--in a backpack, no less. Usually two sled-dogs follow me -- one carries the bag, the other a banker's box for files. Bag carrying sled-dog is the lunch, coffee retriever. I must say this IT world or corporate America where you must carry your own bag is truly foreign,.

Well played.

Backpack only. I don't care how you think it looks. It holds a lot, protects the laptop and keeps both hands free. Mine is going on 5+ years of travel for both business and personal and it is still holding strong. Ogio I believe. Usually I am cheap but if/when this one finally breaks down I will spring for another one.

I travel for work, backpack all the way. Used to have the messenger bag, would use it stacked on my luggage, over the shoulder and I just didn't like it. backpack distributes the weight better. I carry a lot of shit. However, I'm getting a new computer after 3 years this week for work so maybe it may be less weight and take up less space where i can change back.

I travel for conferences with tons of other materials. As a result a backpack is much easier for the plane, conference setup, etc...

I have a couple of different Chrome messenger bags. Very well made, comfortable and don't go well with anything from Men's Wearhouse.

I'm 52 years old and ironically my new Seminoles backpack was just delivered today. When I travel I want to use the backpack for my MacBook Air, charge cords and other personal items.

Chalk me up as another old fart using a backpack for my laptop.

Backpacks on professionals looked odd 10-15 years ago. Now it's the standard.

I'm 52 years old and ironically my new Seminoles backpack was just delivered today. When I travel I want to use the backpack for my MacBook Air, charge cords and other personal items.

Chalk me up as another old fart using a backpack for my laptop.

Coincidentally, and you're too old to carry a Seminoles backpack.

Reactions: NolaNole9
Used to travel a ton and would put it in a padded sleeve, then into backpack. Still do when flying. I also have a ogio bag that I use for everything else.

When I traveled as an It I carried my laptop in a backpack, now as LPN back in school I used a Samsonite rolling briefcase. Definitely saves my back compared to a backpack. Bonus I keep all my textbooks in the case.

Walking into the office I saw a guy in probably his mid-50s, wearing a suit, and also wearing a laptop backpack on his back.

To me, this is a really silly look - a grown man with a backpack like he's off to summer camp. I know that the backpacks are the preferred method for most all the Big 4 kids out of college, but at some point don't you move away from backpacks? Or is it just me?

As for me, I prefer the Ogio City Corp Messenger Bag - I've had different iterations of the same bag for a long time. It's holds a ton of crap, and the bag itself is pretty light. This is that:

mn1_000584.jpg
That bag looks silly

I get how it looks weird for a professional to wear a backpack vs other. I've even had the same thoughts. But when I commute on my motorcycle, a backpack is far more functional. And when I fly, I really like having my hands free in and out of the airport.

Ever ride a motorcycle with a messenger bag? That looks far more odd than management walking with a backpack.

Backpack... easy to carry and doesn't hurt your back (over both shoulders). It took me a while to get used to this look as well. I used to associate it with 18 year old college students. But it's for me for sure.

I carry mine in a Tumi "laptop briefcase"

26145D2_main_T

There are several people at my office who carry theirs in Ogio backpacks with the company logo on it. I have one but I never use it.

I travel a ton for work, and while I get that a backpack is easier to carry once you put it on... I just don't like the idea of having to put it on/ take it off, every time I need something. I have a nice looking leather messenger style bag that goes over my shoulder for easy access to many things without stopping, and never give a thought about how it looks in any occasion. Easy on, easy off, easy access.

Most days I carry a Hartmann leather briefcase like this one:

5140__25564.1348764988.1280.1280.jpg

When I travel I carry an Ogio backpack with my company's logo. It's just easier to get through airports, rental cars, etc.
Are you in sales and/or management, or service?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT