ADVERTISEMENT

Hughesnet

bryn102000

Contributor
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2004
Anyone here ever used or currently using hughesnet for there internet? We currently have WOW internet at my house but the fastest we can get is 3mbps. It is incredibly slow and unreliable and disconnects all the time.

I saw where hughesnet currently has gen 5 internet at 25mbps. Just trying to see what opinions here were.

My BIL who did have the same AT&T "high speed" internet we have recently switched to hughes net. He is very impressed with it so far. Has had a couple of big rain storms and has not lost service any. The speeds far exceed what he was getting with AT&T. The local company rep is suppose to be here Saturday morning and I will most likely be making the switch very soon.

Haven't seen any ads for Hughes net in a while. What's their monthly cost, if you don't mind?

Do they still cap the data so you're at a snails pace the second half of the month?

there cheapest plan right now is 10g for $49.99 a month, which is the same thing i am paying now.

We have an employee who remotes in via hughesnet, according to my director of IT is the most unreliable crap he has ever dealt with. We had a long conversation about it this week. If you are looking for email, surfing web (no streaming), and some really basic stuff it is fine. If you have to remote in where at stable connection makes a difference, do not even bother.

We looked at buying a cabin where sat service was our only option, but declined, because I could not work from there. Hopefully that is fixed soon.

Pretty much all we is just surf the web. No streaming, don't have netflix or hulu or stuff like that. if we watch videos it is normally just short clips of something on youtube for the kid. nothing work related or having to remote in for anything.

Pretty much all we is just surf the web. No streaming, don't have netflix or hulu or stuff like that. if we watch videos it is normally just short clips of something on youtube for the kid. nothing work related or having to remote in for anything.
If that is it, you should be fine. Some of the services have unlimited use from midnight to 6am, so if you want to download movies you can do it then and not count towards your usage minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT