ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane Damage

goldmom

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Jacksonville
Driving I-10 between Jax and Tally was an eye opener.
Left Jax and saw no damage at first- but as I approached Lake City/Columbia County noticed more trees down. Still wasn’t bad - but then once I got west of the junction of I-75 and I-10 approaching Live Oak it became noticeable.
I stopped at the Busy Bee (required!) in Live Oak and the cashier said she lost the barn on her property and that many people there still had no power - this was Thursday - she said “wait till you see between here and Madison”
She was right. Enormous 100 year old oaks with root balls 15 feet across were everywhere. So many huge pine trees snapped in two and it was apparent emergency crews had to cut them up and just push them off the road to get it re-opened. The road signs were twisted completely around at their bases. It looked like the old black and white photos of trees flattened by Mt St Helens in 1980.

Idalia was not a huge wide storm but it was powerful.

The Agricultural Inspection Station near Madison has been turned into an emergency command center with RVs set up along with tents, and there were about 100 fuel tanker trucks parked there to alleviate any shortages of gasoline. All in all the State did a pretty good job of storm response.

I thought the same driving up yesterday, on 98/19. There were a massive number of trees down, but it was only a very narrow path...started 15 or so miles south of Perry and ended about 10 miles north.
It was also interesting how clearly you could tell the area south vs north of where the eye came through based on which way trees were leaning.

Left Jax and saw no damage at first- but as I approached Lake City/Columbia County noticed more trees down. Still wasn’t bad - but then once I got west of the junction of I-75 and I-10 approaching Live Oak it became noticeable.
I stopped at the Busy Bee (required!) in Live Oak and the cashier said she lost the barn on her property and that many people there still had no power - this was Thursday - she said “wait till you see between here and Madison”
She was right. Enormous 100 year old oaks with root balls 15 feet across were everywhere. So many huge pine trees snapped in two and it was apparent emergency crews had to cut them up and just push them off the road to get it re-opened. The road signs were twisted completely around at their bases. It looked like the old black and white photos of trees flattened by Mt St Helens in 1980.

The Agricultural Inspection Station near Madison has been turned into an emergency command center with RVs set up along with tents, and there were about 100 fuel tanker trucks parked there to alleviate any shortages of gasoline. All in all the State did a pretty good job of storm response.
We live in Seaside, FL and still drive Hwy 20 on game days and still see destruction from Hurricane Michael. In 2018, it looked like a war zone from Hwy 79/Hwy 29 all the way to Hwy 65/Hwy 20; which was over 70 miles

Last edited:
Drove through Perry on the way home Sunday. I realized most damage there was from the trees. Old home that look like the big, bad wolf could blow over were still standing. But if any treed were around, the homes were damaged. Lots of trees lining the sides of the road and powerlines still down. Street lights still out.

Met a family from Perry waiting to get in the stadium. The mom cried when I asked how they were. She said this game was a good distraction from it all. Having been thru the eye of Wilma, I understand.

Were you ever on the road with Charles Kuralt; Walter Cronkite's side kick?

I signed an NDA and can’t talk about it.
There are several ways we can make people talk... and then they sing like a Canary at Carabbas; located in northeast Tallahassee for your dining pleasure. Those concrete medians can be a bear, too. If you are in the federal witness protection program, just nod twice and say the password phrase, LEROY IS A BAD MAN! And we will all fully understand and appreciate your current dilemma. That is all. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT