ADVERTISEMENT

I blame Albany, Ga for part of our game attendance problems

I guess you can also blame Panama City as well. That was the first choice of Walt Disney to build his theme parks here in Florida, but the leaders of Panama City did not want "some carnival park" to come to their great city by the beach.
Instead they approved Miracle Strip and Shipwreck Island.... brilliant move.

I guess you can also blame Panama City as well. That was the first choice of Walt Disney to build his theme parks here in Florida, but the leaders of Panama City did not want "some carnival park" to come to their great city by the beach.

Where did you hear that? Everything I've ever read indicated that Walt Disney chose the location based on two things:
1. While flying over various areas scouting for an east coast location, he noted that it was the area where the turnpike & I4 (under construction) would intersect
2. The land was very cheap swampland

Where did you hear that? Everything I've ever read indicated that Walt Disney chose the location based on two things:
1. While flying over various areas scouting for an east coast location, he noted that it was the area where the turnpike & I4 (under construction) would intersect
2. The land was very cheap swampland

Probably the same dude that said University of Florida genetically engineered and created love bugs.

The Disney in PC stuff has been out there for a while. I don't know if it is true or not, but for the last 20 years or so I've heard rumors that Disney, Six Flags etc. was buying up land.

I do know that Panama City killed things like a speedway and the Miller Coors brewing plant that went to Albany. (The brewing plant is also why you can't get 40 oz. bottles in Florida)

I grew up in PC and if it weren't for investment from the federal government in places like Tyndall and NSA PC, it would likely be even poorer than it is now. Aside from tourism and military, the older generations talk a big game about bringing in business, but fail miserably to do so. I loved some things about PC, but I realized quickly that most careers were not sustainable in PC and most of my friends did as well and are now in places like Tallahassee, NOLA, Miami, Las Vegas, Nashville, NYC, Tampa, Orlando, Atlanta, etc.

For those of you that don't know Albany is about 90 miles north of Tallahassee. I have seen many threads on here that FSU's problem is its location with highly populated areas and a strong alumni base. Well the other day I had a conversation with a business owner here in town that explained to me why Albany is such a depressed area now a days. He explained to me that going back all the way to WW2 Albany was a thriving community with a huge Air force base here that they used to train not just American pilots but the french as well. They even built one of the largest run ways in the south east right here in Albany that was used to land big bomber planes in training missions. Well eventually the govt decided they no longer needed the facility so the city was left with acres of hangers and runways. The city leaders allowed bids on the property and supposedly an airline company wanted to buy the property and make it an international airport because of its infrastructure all ready in place to land large planes. The city who has historically been run by the rich owners of several of the plantations around town immediately shot down the idea due to they didn't want that kind of growth/traffic here and they already had there own private airport which is now the southwest Georgia regional airport. Today Miller Brewing owns the property. The same thing happened here also when I75 was being built. Albany and its "leaders" voted for the highway to bypass the area which in turn has severally hurt this area economically while Valdosta has grown over the years. Another rumor I have heard also is that the Army Core of Engineers wanted to dam up the flint river more than it already is to create a large recreational lake. Of course the farmers and plantation owners did not want this because that meant they would have to sacrifice their land for a lake. So if any of y'all in Tallahassee want to point fingers you can point them straight up at Albany and its old timing plantation owners for not allowing major growth which in turn could have resulted in a large number of alumni and fans living closer to travel to games.

This is not a solid theory to anyone outside of Albany.

The Disney in PC stuff has been out there for a while. I don't know if it is true or not, but for the last 20 years or so I've heard rumors that Disney, Six Flags etc. was buying up land.

I do know that Panama City killed things like a speedway and the Miller Coors brewing plant that went to Albany. (The brewing plant is also why you can't get 40 oz. bottles in Florida)

I grew up in PC and if it weren't for investment from the federal government in places like Tyndall and NSA PC, it would likely be even poorer than it is now. Aside from tourism and military, the older generations talk a big game about bringing in business, but fail miserably to do so. I loved some things about PC, but I realized quickly that most careers were not sustainable in PC and most of my friends did as well and are now in places like Tallahassee, NOLA, Miami, Las Vegas, Nashville, NYC, Tampa, Orlando, Atlanta, etc.

Of the things I've read, the only other locations that were given any real consideration were St Louis (nixed because he wanted to be more towards the east coast) and New Orleans (where they'd started to acquire land, but scratched because State & local government were uncooperative).

Of the things I've read, the only other locations that were given any real consideration were St Louis (nixed because he wanted to be more towards the east coast) and New Orleans (where they'd started to acquire land, but scratched because State & local government were uncooperative).
Sorry, when I say the Disney stuff has been out there for years, I think it was more local rumors than anything. The only thing Bay County wants to grow is its tourism base. Low paying jobs. I think we are in agreement that PC was never really considered for Disney.

Nah, too many of them can read. That is a very well read town.

Just because a town can read past a 5th grade level doesn't necessarily mean it's well read. I never got the impression when I drove through Albany that it's a well read town. Or anywhere in south GA for that matter. Maybe Thomasville...

I think 75 through Tifton and down that way was steered a lot by connected folks in Tifton. Maybe a case of "if they don't want it, we'll take it". Who knows.

Letting these wealthy plantation owners who suffocated their towns off the hook a little easy aren't we?
And also straying pretty far off topic as well.

Perhaps if places like Albany weren't suffocated by the comfotable folks who made their fortunes on the backs of other people's barely or unpaid labor, the folks currently in poverty wouldn't be in such dire straits.

150 years later... including a conversion to a 4-year currency... I'm sure that "slave" money is long gone... or well invested, as opposed to being spent on NASCAR races and/or rims on their caddy.

Yes because the leadership in Tallahassee and their world class handling of resources like the airport is not to blame at all

I'd personally be pissed if Tallahassee grew significantly. I like the town how it is. Good people & a great University while running the State.

Reactions: Bartdog
Fwiw last year I think the Noles sold out their season tickets for the first time in years.

Heard Disney was buying up land around Port St Joe near the old paper mill/gulf county canal to launch Disney cruise ships because it was the deepest dredged port in the area and land was cheap. Been hearing this for years as well but seen nothing.

I'd personally be pissed if Tallahassee grew significantly. I like the town how it is. Good people & a great University while running the State.

Growing in size and improving existing infrastructure (airport, for instance) are two different things. The latter may lead to the former but not necessarily. What I'm suggesting is improving that pathetic local airport so more FSU fans outside of Tallahassee can fly in and out easier for home games.

Its this line of thinking that's why it takes 20 minutes to get from the west end of campus to the mall.

Reactions: runkpanole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT