ADVERTISEMENT

I feel old as hell now

runkpanole

Seminole Insider
Nov 17, 2002
Hired a kid about a month ago. Really nice kid, fresh out of FSU.

So, as I am talking to him about having time to work my way through all 11 seasons of Cheers, he informs me that he has never heard of it. He was born after the show, didn't even know the premise of the show. I remember watching the last episode live in the early 90's.

About the class of 2016

For this generation of entering college students, born in 1994, Kurt Cobain, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Richard Nixon and John Wayne Gacy have always been dead.

1. They have always lived in cyberspace, addicted to a new generation of “electronic narcotics.”
  2. Robert De Niro is thought of as Greg Focker's long-suffering father-in-law, not as Vito Corleone or Jimmy Conway.
  3. They have never seen an airplane “ticket.”
  4. On TV and in films, the ditzy dumb blonde female generally has been replaced by a couple of Dumb and Dumber males.
  5. They can’t picture people actually carrying luggage through airports rather than rolling it.
  6. There has always been football in Jacksonville but never in Los Angeles.
  7. Their folks have never gazed with pride on a new set of bound encyclopedias on the bookshelf.
  8. The Green Bay Packers have always celebrated with the Lambeau Leap.
  9. Outdated icons with images of floppy discs for “save,” a telephone for “phone,” and a snail mail envelope for “mail” have oddly decorated their tablets and smart phone screens.
  10. Before they purchase an assigned textbook, they will investigate whether it is available for rent or purchase as an e-book.
  11. They grew up, somehow, without the benefits of Romper Room.
  12. L.L. Bean hunting shoes have always been known as just plain Bean Boots.
  13. Mr. Burns has replaced J.R.Ewing as the most shot-at man on American television.
  14. They have always enjoyed school and summer camp memories with a digital yearbook.
  15. History has always had its own channel.
  16. Pulp Fiction’s meal of a "Royale with Cheese" and an “Amos and Andy milkshake” has little or no resonance with them.

And for that they have my sympathy.

Shoot, I feel sorry for folks who never knew the old Florida. Who never remember Vero Beach as a tiny beach town along US 1. Who never knew 30A as a wooded two lane blacktop that led to Grayton Beach and little else. Who never saw open spaces along A1A or along Panama City Beach.
Who never ordered a pizza or a tuna boat from Chanelo's.

I could go on. I'm sure others can contribute.

About the class of 2016

For this generation of entering college students, born in 1994, Kurt Cobain, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Richard Nixon and John Wayne Gacy have always been dead.

1. They have always lived in cyberspace, addicted to a new generation of “electronic narcotics.”
  2. Robert De Niro is thought of as Greg Focker's long-suffering father-in-law, not as Vito Corleone or Jimmy Conway.
  4. On TV and in films, the ditzy dumb blonde female generally has been replaced by a couple of Dumb and Dumber males.
  5. They can’t picture people actually carrying luggage through airports rather than rolling it.
  7. Their folks have never gazed with pride on a new set of bound encyclopedias on the bookshelf.
  9. Outdated icons with images of floppy discs for “save,” a telephone for “phone,” and a snail mail envelope for “mail” have oddly decorated their tablets and smart phone screens.
  10. Before they purchase an assigned textbook, they will investigate whether it is available for rent or purchase as an e-book.
  13. Mr. Burns has replaced J.R.Ewing as the most shot-at man on American television.
  14. They have always enjoyed school and summer camp memories with a digital yearbook.
  16. Pulp Fiction’s meal of a "Royale with Cheese" and an “Amos and Andy milkshake” has little or no resonance with them.

Some of that doesn't make sense to me. Amos and Andy? who tf? I do like #6 though.

Also, my college SENIOR was born in 1995, so this must be a list from a while back I guess.

Shoot, I feel sorry for folks who never knew the old Florida. Who never remember Vero Beach as a tiny beach town along US 1. Who never knew 30A as a wooded two lane blacktop that led to Grayton Beach and little else. Who never saw open spaces along A1A or along Panama City Beach.

Goldmom:
Have you lived in Jax long enough to remember Chaseville Rd?

There are several generations of sports fans that has seen this a thousand times and three words immediately come to mind without having the slightest clue as to who this was and when or where it happened. But no more.

kQfGKbW.gif

There are several generations of sports fans that has seen this a thousand times and three words immediately come to mind without having the slightest clue as to who this was and when or where it happened. But no more.

kQfGKbW.gif
Awesome.

About the class of 2016

Where are there 22 year old high school seniors?

I love it when I come across places that feel like "old Florida." Homossassa Springs feels like that to me. And I used to love the little stretches of A1A you are talking about. I think that's why I like the drive down to the keys.

I was back in Vero a few weeks ago, and while I never really knew it as a "tiny beach town" it's amazing to me how much it has grown up since my childhood. Feels the same in many regards, but the growth out west of town always blows my mind.

I can remember when you had to take a ferry to st.george island. When US 27 was the way that you got to south florida. When Orlando was not much worth seeing (OK some things don't change so much) When there were lakes & sinkholes everywhere that were actually swimmable. Webb's city in St Pete. I don't know why but I loved that place. That and that Duck play Drum or Chicken Do Dance thing at Stuckeys on all the highways.
And the gators were the laughing stock of the sec.
Good times.

kQfGKbW.gif

am i the only one who can hear the Wide World of Sports music playing in their head?

Also, if you look real close, there is a guy on the side of the ski ramp who, if he hadn't ducked, would have shared the infamy with Viko Bogataj

Hired a kid about a month ago. Really nice kid, fresh out of FSU.

So, as I am talking to him about having time to work my way through all 11 seasons of Cheers, he informs me that he has never heard of it. He was born after the show, didn't even know the premise of the show. I remember watching the last episode live in the early 90's.
I work with "adults", I guess, who are young enough to have no idea who groups like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden are. They haven't seen many of the movies that I'd grown up watching - again, they haven't heard of a lot of them. It sucks to be old.

Born in 1972 , I started feeling old a few years back when all the movies and "CDs" of my high school / college years 1988-1994 started having 20/25 year anniversaries. Which then made me realize that listening to an album in 2016 like Pearl Jam's 10 released in 1991 is akin to me listening to the Beatles Rubber Soul in 1991..

Reactions: Lemon Thrower
I remember after my parents divorced moving from via Tuscany in Winter Park out to near 436 & Howell Branch Rd (early 70's) and told we were going to go to school in "Oviedo". The thoughts of backward, redneck, no toothed kids immediately popped in our heads.

Well, we ended up not staying there at that time but I came back to Orlando in the early 90's after graduating FSU (and another job) and moved to.... Oviedo. Consistently voted one of the nicest communities, (with great schools) to raise a family in the country. Organical no?

I remember after my parents divorced moving from via Tuscany in Winter Park out to near 436 & Howell Branch Rd (early 70's) and told we were going to go to school in "Oviedo". The thoughts of backward, redneck, no toothed kids immediately popped in our heads.

Well, we ended up not staying there at that time but I came back to Orlando in the early 90's after graduating FSU (and another job) and moved to.... Oviedo. Consistently voted one of the nicest communities, (with great schools) to raise a family in the country. Lived here over 20 years now... Organical no?

Leaving doors unlocked and car keys in the car. Leaving lights on at the beach house, yet the sea turtles somehow survived the awful trauma. The smell of orange blossoms almost everywhere. Fireflies in abundance. Obnoxious people mostly concentrated in Dade/Broward. School started after Labor Day. Christmas decorations in all cities. Etc., etc., etc.

Reactions: 62Nole
I work with "adults", I guess, who are young enough to have no idea who groups like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden are. They haven't seen many of the movies that I'd grown up watching - again, they haven't heard of a lot of them. It sucks to be old.
It sucks in a way. But to not get old sucks worse.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT