ADVERTISEMENT

I hate the newer designs of cars

runkpanole

Seminole Insider
Nov 17, 2002
I have a 2009 Chevy Malibu. Has been a great car. The headlight went out. I go to AutoZone and pick up a new light and quickly realize that replacing that thing is going to be a PITA. Call the dealership and it is likely going to run me about $100 in labor to replace the thing b/c you basically have to pull off the front bumper to change the freaking headlight.

I'm sure I can if I can find the time, but designing a car that requires a bumper to be removed in order to replace a headlight is stupid.

I agree with you, but it's not new at all unless you consider the 80's new. It's poor practice.

I remember helping a friend of mine in college to change the light on her 2001 VW Bug and I had to take the battery and a few other parts out to be able to remove the tube housing for the lights. PITA for sure.

I'm sure I can if I can find the time, but designing a car that requires a bumper to be removed in order to replace a headlight is stupid.

I agree. I guess the engineers like to help out the service departments in generating profits.

I recently helped a friend change the battery in her Sebring. I had to jack the car up and take the friggin tire and inner fender off to get to the battery. WTF?

I agree. I guess the engineers like to help out the service departments in generating profits.

I recently helped a friend change the battery in her Sebring. I had to jack the car up and take the friggin tire and inner fender off to get to the battery. WTF?

Yep, I had a Sebring.....what a POS car.

Reactions: dmm5157
I am handling a fire case involving a Fisker Karma -- you want to talk about jamming as much as possible into the engine compartment. Fisker is bankrupt now.

GM had some '80s model car that required loosening motor mounts or something similar to change one of the plugs. I went to swap out the thermostat on a Buick for my mom and stopped because I thought I was gonna wring off one of the manifold studs (manifold had to come off to replace thermostat!).
If engineers had to do the work....

I have a 2009 Chevy Malibu. Has been a great car. The headlight went out. I go to AutoZone and pick up a new light and quickly realize that replacing that thing is going to be a PITA. Call the dealership and it is likely going to run me about $100 in labor to replace the thing b/c you basically have to pull off the front bumper to change the freaking headlight.

Consider the amount of work you ought to replace both light bulbs.

and hire a 7 year old.

I would bet most of that design has to do with easing the manufacturing process and reducing costs on that end.
Now that I think about it I've only replaced a headlight once in ~25 years of driving and owning cars. It was an '84 Z-28, and you just had to lift the hood and remove a few screws.

I would bet most of that design has to do with easing the manufacturing process and reducing costs on that end.
Now that I think about it I've only replaced a headlight once in ~25 years of driving and owning cars. It was an '84 Z-28, and you just had to lift the hood and remove a few screws.
It has more to do with safety (or so I've been told).

It has more to do with safety (or so I've been told).

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some regulatory influence on the design. I read they had to bring the nose of the Corvette up after the C5 in a bid to improve Corvette vs. pedestrian survivability.

Chrysler! We had a Concorde that was the same way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT