ADVERTISEMENT

I hope this is fake news about Chris Cornell

Unfortunately it's not. :( Soundgarden is one of my favorite bands. The only time I saw them was in 1990 at the Cuban Club in Tampa. They were supporting the Louder Than Love album.

Very sad. A friend wanted me to go see them in Atlanta a couple weeks ago and I wasn't up for it. Kind of wish I had gone now.

Yeah, just saw that on the news and reported by his publicist, so not fake. 52...man. Did he have a drug history like the rest of the Seattle musicians? Never came across like that to me.

I hate this. Chris Cornell was a founding member of the grunge movement, and used to live with Andy Wood( Mother Love Bone). He had one of the best voices ever, and I hate that he took his own life.

Reactions: nynole1
I hate this. Chris Cornell was a founding member of the grunge movement, and used to live with Andy Wood( Mother Love Bone). He had one of the best voices ever, and I hate that he took his own life.
Second best voice to me behind Peter Steele, another muscian lost way too early.

Reactions: Nole Daddy
In a bit of cruel irony the last song was "Slaves and Bulldozers" interspersed with Led Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying."

Temple of the Dog had a great song called Times of Trouble, that basically was saying don't killl yourself. That you can't take it back. Sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSUTribe76
Eddie Vedder.....last frontman standing of the whole movement, at 52yrs old.

Let's slow down a bit. The Melvins (originators of the whole sound and movement) are still together and Buzz Osborne is still alive. Ditto with the Mudhoney and Mark Arm.

Let's slow down a bit. The Melvins (originators of the whole sound and movement) are still together and Buzz Osborne is still alive. Ditto with the Mudhoney and Mark Arm.
The Melvins were very influential to the movement, but not anymore originators than Mother Love Bone.

STP were a California band and never really grunge. They got lumped in because of timing and their first album had some grunge elements to it.
I thought they definitely had a grunge sound and would be considered Grunge. They were not from Seattle though like you said

Reactions: dmm5157
The Melvins were very influential to the movement, but not anymore originators than Mother Love Bone.

Melvins started literally five years before Mother Love Bone and their first major album was five years before Mother Love Bone's. There was even a movie made about the Melvin's creation of the Seattle music scene 3 years before Mother Love Bone was in existence. Buzz Osborne literally created Nirvana as we know it by introducing Kurt Cobaine to Dave Grohl as Nirvana and the Melvins shared the same drummer early on.

Like many originators, I don't consider the Melvins the best of the bunch as the followers are frequently better musicians, but they are definitely the parents of the Seattle grunge movement.

I should have added STP and will edit. They were not from the Seattle area though.

Guess that's why you shouldn't trust the ole memory. I remember them being very intertwined with the movement even if not from there.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Last night's performance of Black Hole Sun - I'm not sure if that's his normal style these days but he seems kind of out of it.

I'm going to see Band of Horses tonight in Tallahassee. So excited for the show!

Given that they're both Seattle acts (Band of Horses and Chris Cornell), even if they don't really have much in common, I imagine we'll get a tribute song of some sort. I wish I knew CC's catalog better, but I confess I really only know his hits.

Reactions: Nole Daddy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT