ADVERTISEMENT

I want a shovel for Father's Day

wbnolefan

Star Player
Aug 23, 2002
Aside from the other more obvious Father's day gift that every man wants, I really want some quality yard tools at my house.

I'm not talking about a crappy walmart shovel, I'm talking one like your grandpa has had for 50 years. Heavy metal blade; I'd even take a metal handle. Like a Tim Allen grunt kind of tool

Where can a man buy such a thing these days? Not too impressed with the Lowe's/Home Depot selection. I want to buy tools that will last, I'm tired of stuff breaking and pooping out after 2 seasons of use.

Reactions: squiffynole
Aside from the other more obvious Father's day gift that every man wants, I really want some quality yard tools at my house.

I'm not talking about a crappy walmart shovel, I'm talking one like your grandpa has had for 50 years. Heavy metal blade; I'd even take a metal handle. Like a Tim Allen grunt kind of tool

Where can a man buy such a thing these days? Not too impressed with the Lowe's/Home Depot selection. I want to buy tools that will last, I'm tired of stuff breaking and pooping out after 2 seasons of use.

Look here: http://tibesti.com/Best-Garden-Shovels/109

However, if your yard tools are breaking after two years, you may want to look internal at how they are kept, stored and maintained.

Man, you're a lot more meticulous than I am.

I clean a shovel off after using but that re-apply finish got me too.

If you are breaking shovels you may be putting far too much torque on it. Maybe use a mattock to get through hard ground when digging holes deep enough to bury a body.

M-1-1.jpg

Yeah, it's from my Dad. I left his tools out in the rain one time and get it pretty bad. Since then, pretty much put everything away and take care of it.

However, I am in the market for a new ladder and found that the pawn shops have good deals on used paint ladders.

Yo bro, you want a bad#^#^ moth%*#*#**ing shovel? You go to these guys!

Just kidding, you notice they show the shovel doing everything EXCEPT being used as a shovel. I'm sure Ponch would laugh.

Anyways I did dig around to see if there was some awesome new improved shovel just like the new axe design that DOES work 1000x better and I know first hand...but I couldn't find anything except the above useless pos.

Just kidding, you notice they show the shovel doing everything EXCEPT being used as a shovel. I'm sure Ponch would laugh.

Anyways I did dig around to see if there was some awesome new improved shovel just like the new axe design that DOES work 1000x better and I know first hand...but I couldn't find anything except the above useless pos.

Obviously made from Valyrian steel! :p

I am going to get a Cold Steel hand and a half sword soon, mostly as a wall decoration, but also as a backup ultimate zombie apocalypse survival tool.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I know exactly what you mean and need---a heavy duty pony shovel.
It's a more rounded end. Almost half moonish, but not quite. Very heavy duty with a blade that can be filed for a sharp edge.
They come with heavy duty fiberglass handles and run anywhere from $60-$100.
A larger and more professional landscape/nursery business will carry them.

It's a more rounded end. Almost half moonish, but not quite. Very heavy duty with a blade that can be filed for a sharp edge.

Yes, but is it heavy duty?

$60-100 for a shovel? No thanks. I'll buy one used at a yard sale for a buck and when it breaks I'll buy another one for a buck from a yard sale.

Reactions: Nole-4-Life
Honestly don't know what you are doing to break a shovel after a couple of seasons, but I have had all Blue Hawk stuff (Lowes brand) for a while now (5-6 years?) and never had a problem. Of course I don't leave my tools out in weather, and clean them off if they are used for clean up after the dog or mud digging.

$60-100 for a shovel? No thanks. I'll buy one used at a yard sale for a buck and when it breaks I'll buy another one for a buck from a yard sale.

That's your prerogative, but when you're sweating trying to dig a hole with your sub-par poverty shovel, I'd have it done in a fraction of the time with less effort to boot.
The type of shovel is worth every penny.

I bought a shovel at Lesco's a few years ago. It is a very heavy shovel with a blade that you can file to make sharper. It will easily cut through small roots and can chip through big roots. The tree landscapers use them all the time when removing trees. I don't remember how much it cost, but it was definitely more than your standard shovel.

All of my tools are fiber glass, you can leave them outside and it won't hurt them. I have a ax that I use all the time that never comes inside. How can you hurt steel and fiber glass?

Reactions: funksouljon
I had a 10 yr old shovel snap a week ago, killed the blade because I was using it as a big screwdriver. Wanted a new one anyways. Lowes had a sale on higher quality steel blade and a solid metal handle. Bit heavier, but had a nice heft to it.

Reactions: squiffynole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT