ADVERTISEMENT

IF Brock Takes the Rock…..

jhnoles6602

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 21, 2018
Since there isn’t a lot of video on Brock playing in college I decided to go back and watch some video on him in HS.

Size - He has nice size. Not quite as tall as Tate, however checking in at 6’2 215lbs gives him the ht to see the short to intermediate routes in the middle of the field. I have mentioned this before and that is JT rarely threw or had success in this area of the field only because his ht made it extremely difficult to see over the line. You often saw him sliding left or right trying to find a lane to see through. Almost always by the time he found the lane it was just too late. Opposing DC knew this, which is why you would see them bring LBs a lot more often than normal because the void they left is the area JT couldn’t see.
Now, the good news is if BG has to go his ht like TR keeps this area open.

Arm / Accuracy - He has a big arm not quite as strong as TR arm. However, if you watch his film in HS he consistently, causally and almost effortlessly slings it 50 - 60 yds. Another thing you will notice is he throws a nice ball that drops right in the WR bread basket in stride. Now, some times and imo little to often he puts a lil to much air on it. In HS he got away with very often in HS there are alot of those that will allow a DB at this level to gain any loss steps to contest the catch or potentially int it. Now, I’m sure he has cleaned up this since getting here. One thing that jumps out on film also is he didn’t throw a lot of medium to short passes and this wasn’t a fault to him it’s purely because he his WR won these deep routes a lot.

RPO/Scramble Ability - IMO he has a Ponder esque ability with his legs. He has enough wiggle to potentially make the first man miss to get those extra yds. He looks to be a step or two quicker than TR. BG seems to have that edge / mentality/ toughness to force D to respect and account for him in the RPO game and scrambling. He just seems to be that type of QB who will lower his shoulders to get that extra yard or 2.

Potential negatives - Freshman trying to “over” prove himself. Sometimes, especially with QBs w/ his mentality/ competitiveness, tend to force things or feel like they have to do something extra special to win. Many times young QBs become impatient, which either causes a few to many 3 and outs to much or struggle to finish long drives.

Conclusion - If Brock gets the Rock and he will trust and utilize the crazy ridiculous weapons he is surrounded by I feel good about us taking the W. Be the QB who understands and takes what the D gives him. Don’t make choices that negates talent advantage and/or puts our D in to many short field situations that can hurts our defense being able to dominate like they can. Noles Win Today!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News