ADVERTISEMENT

If properly flown an Attack Helicopter would defeat most fighter airplanes in 1v1 air combat.

It makes sense that fighter wouldn't engage a chopper on its terms while its loaded with air to air weapons (which it wouldn't be) and if it did it would likely lose. A fighter loitering around an area at low speed and low altitude is an easy target even for small arms fire.

Also this study was in 1979, even the F-16 and 15 at that time were not as nearly advanced as now. I would like to see this done against a F-22 or 35 with thrust vectoring. Also on the battlefield a attack helicopter armed with normal air to ground weapons would stand little chance against a air to air or air to ground armed fighter as the fighter would lock on from range and kill it before there was a battle.

Would like to hear Gary's thoughts though. I wasn't a driver I only know the weapons, performance and avionics aspects of it.

A fighter is not going to get into a low speed fur ball with a helicopter. Missiles and maybe a high speed gun pass.
They don't normally carry air-to-air missiles as it's not their mission and fighters have flares to decoy heat seeking missiles.
Even in the mid 70's, we were not going to get into a gun fight if at all possible.

Rooster got one.
42f7e3e08b85e26770ddd974ae400c3f1c4be297.gif

Reactions: NoleinATL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT