ADVERTISEMENT

If we could go back in time for one more drink....The Phyrst? Pink Flamingo? Doc's?

The Phyrst...on on Springtime Friday afternoon. You can still get The Phyrst gear (hats and T-shirts) at Long Lost Tees in Key West.

Reactions: WLaw
I'd love to go back and do it one more time - we'd drink at sunset way up on a widow's walk on Live Oak Island but those days are over my buddy sold the house and I quit drinking.

I didn't go to most of the places referenced here 'cause firstly I was from and lived here so the only places I went to of the many mentioned were Poor Paul's and the Backdoor. Us locals hated with a passion the fratboys especially the "Pikes" and the " ATO"s and more than a few times "tussled" with them. And somehow made it through that time. Then I became somewhat A "normal" citizen. Then I Graduated to places like Finnegan's Wake and Leon Pub. I really miss Donna and Barrett from Finnegan's.

Kens was really the only place besides the Keg...the Electric Eye my senior year.
It was so strict with 21 drinking age, plus if you hung out there and got drunk you might end up at Standards Board of your sorority where a Committee of Hypocrites judged you. 🤬
Drinking age was lowered to 18 in '70.

Reactions: chumleynole
Drinking age was lowered to 18 in '70.
...Then back up again about 10 years later. I was in that sweet spot of the 70s.

What was Fred's other location called? The one near Macomb/Georgia/Old Bainbridge in Frenchtown?

Reactions: F4Gary
Late Night Library
Club 506
Palace Saloon
Rooster's
Doc's
There's a man from my era.
Club 506 - so dark in there you had no idea how ugly that chick was until they turned on the lights
Palace Saloon - always good for a little lung cancer
Rooster's - someone please tell me I wasn't the only there the night an American Gladiator got out of control
Late Night Library - classic

Reactions: patlas and Josh71
Kens was really the only place besides the Keg...the Electric Eye my senior year.
It was so strict with 21 drinking age, plus if you hung out there and got drunk you might end up at Standards Board of your sorority where a Committee of Hypocrites judged you. 🤬
Do you know this from experience or stories from a friend, nod, nod, wink, wink, know what I mean😁

There's a man from my era.
Club 506 - so dark in there you had no idea how ugly that chick was until they turned on the lights

Yeah man loved that place - I remember being on the dance floor the first time I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Floor turned into a big Mosh pit - I got the hell outta dodge!

Late Night Library on Halloween was always an adventure as well - the Best of Times.

I got around the ID problem by xeroxing my FL drivers license on green paper to match the ones FL DOT issued and changed the 1947 year of birth to 1945 and had it laminated. Never failed to work. Is there a statue of limitations on
this type of thing ? JK

Reactions: fsufool
I got around the ID problem by xeroxing my FL drivers license on green paper to match the ones FL DOT issued and changed the 1947 year of birth to 1945 and had it laminated. Never failed to work. Is there a statue of limitations on
this type of thing ? JK
Draft cards were easier. Just sayin'.

...Then back up again about 10 years later. I was in that sweet spot of the 70s.

What was Fred's other location called? The one near Macomb/Georgia/Old Bainbridge in Frenchtown?

Dry dock....it was anything but dry.

The Phyrst hands down for me.

I am still not over it being gone....wish I had some pics from the inside of it from the day...trying to remember the layout.

Tuesday night at The Pub, top floor on the balcony. I met my wife there, so we could go back for a few pitchers.
It is currently A and Z grocery/liquors.
Do you remember the little place right near The Pub called "Pugs"...they'd fill a gallon milk jug with beer...we'd take back to Smith Hall my freshman year in '81

Without question..........give me a Saturday night in 1977 at Fred's Back Door Lounge on West Tennessee Street, with Brenda the Bartender ruling the place. You needed $5.00 ( Four drinks @ 50 cents each and $1.00 for Brenda. ) And as much as a zoo as it was, nobody even had a fight, much less got hurt. A lot of fun at FSU.
I saw some poor guy get beat half to death one night out in the parking lot of Fred’s.
Over some girl.
Whole thing started near Fred’s and ended up over near the whataburger next door.
No doubt fueled by .50 cent bourbons.

Reactions: hrb83
Many fond memories of Bladder Bust Thursdays at the Phyrst. Wife got me a classic Phyrst t-shirt this year for Christmas.
Mine got me one a year ago. Wore it to Disney a while back and got stopped by three people to reminisce.

I would rather have my teeth pulled than be stuffed into a crowd of drunks like we were back in the day. I lived it and had my fun but my time on the front lines is done, lol.

Not me, loved those times and do it now at Madison’s and other bars.🥃🍺

Reactions: SoddyNole
Sunday afternoon, Poseys....
Posey's was nice even though I still don't eat oysters. Went there once with three young ladies of alternate sexuality, their roommate of monetary sexuality, her sugardaddy and my idiot ass drove my '85 Honda Civic. Luckily no tickets were forthcoming and I got some tongue from one of the ladies.

Many fond memories of Bladder Bust Thursdays at the Phyrst. Wife got me a classic Phyrst t-shirt this year for Christmas.

Thanks...I just forwarded this to my wife as she complains I am impossible to buy gifts for!

Easy to say all of the above to everyone's posts as I miss them all but....

Phyrst: I remember when they had their "last bladder bust party" as they were sold...so we all pilled in there and drank all night. One week later they were still there and had another last night of the Phyrst parties and we were there all night long....and one week later they were still there. Remember the story of the boy who cried wolf? One day they had their last party and it was finally their last....and me and my friends missed it!

Palace Saloon and Ken's---for those of us who carried something called a Draft Card (Selective Service type) in the 1960's and early 70's!

Without question..........give me a Saturday night in 1977 at Fred's Back Door Lounge on West Tennessee Street, with Brenda the Bartender ruling the place. You needed $5.00 ( Four drinks @ 50 cents each and $1.00 for Brenda. ) And as much as a zoo as it was, nobody even had a fight, much less got hurt. A lot of fun at FSU.
There were plenty of fights at Fred’s. So a girl beat a guy unconscious with a motorcycle helmet. One of the football players threatened me with an ass whipping. I wasn’t afraid because Brenda was standing behind me at the bar.
The Palace was home base, when Doc and Forney were there.

I think I’ll say Sweet Shop for Wednesday night $10 all you can drink......ahhh the good ole days

Byron Underwood owned the bar next to the Sweet Shoppe, before it became the Phryst.

Thanks, Sam. I thought he owned it before it became the Phyrst, but couldn't quite remember. Don't remember why he closed down, but with all of the success of the Phyrst and some of the stories he told about his bar, it made me wonder if he closed too soon. He did tell a story about driving south to meet Burt Reynolds regarding a potential deal to purchase and run some sort of student housing facility close to his bar. He was young back then so needed his mother's support to make the purchase, but she wasn't having any of Satan's doing and said he missed out on a small fortune. I think it sat next to the Sweet Shop. Byron and his family owned a lot of rental property, so he knew what he was doing too. Very smart guy. If you've ever been to his bar, a recap would be nice to hear.

As a young teen, I remember riding my bike around FSU campus and scoring a big, wooden sign from The Edge. Think it was the bar that replaced the Phyrst. Carried that sucker on my bike all the way home where it sat in my room for awhile.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT