ADVERTISEMENT

I'm doing my first Brisket this weekend....

logo-desktopcondensedstickynav@2x.png

If it’s a good, hard sear you’re after, there’s nothing quite like a kitchen torch. Do you need a torch to make perfectly-crusted chops, steaks, and more? No—but once you give the Searzall a try, we bet you’ll become a convert. And plus, it’s only $75. Check out our reasons why the Searzall rocks—and why you totally need one in your life.
MORE: LINKY

Searzall-Dave-Arnold.jpg

Buy Here - LINKY

graceful_bow.gif

bonus

That looks awesome. Another christmas present.

Yep, makes your blow torch a portable broiler.

Last edited:
So I've been thinking about this.

The object of cooking a brisket, or anything for that matter, is to have it taste great. And there is no doubt in my mind that the brisket Free cooked over the weekend was outstanding....and that's what it inevitable is all about.

However, I'm kind of hung up on the liquid smoke part of the recipe.

Again, I know Free's brisket tasted better than anything I could do, and prolly took more time and patience to prepare. But adding the liquid smoke while its being cooked in a bag has me torn.

I honestly don't know why I click on this thread. All I can think of while reading these posts is.....

200_s.gif

It certainly looks good, but a few things hang me up.
1. it appears to take LONGER to make than smoking a brisket, and I wasn't sure that was possible to do.
2. it appears to be significantly more expensive to prepare.
3. The bark. Roasting up a bunch of rub and calling it a bark doesn't do it for me. I want the real thing.

1. it appears to take LONGER to make than smoking a brisket, and I wasn't sure that was possible to do.
3. The bark. Roasting up a bunch of rub and calling it a bark doesn't do it for me. I want the real thing.

what are your thoughts on the liquid smoke part? or is that what you mean by the bark being rub?

The purist in me shudders, but, it does look tasty. That being said, equal cooking throughout means no burnt ends, right? So......

giphy.gif

1. That is debatable, there is a lot of inactive time, 10 mins to make the brine then it's just sitting in brine, 10 minutes to get it in the sous vide bath, you don't touch it then. 10 minutes to make the rub, 10 mins to take it out of the sous vide and apply the marinade / rub, then slice. This spans the course of days, but is very simple without much clean up.
2. I'd say the rub and all of the marinade stuff is about $20. So there is your incremental cost, although some use a rub for their BBQ brisket too.
3. I'd be willing to bet that 99 out of 100 people wouldn't be able to tell a true bark from this bark in a blind taste test. It really replicates it that well.

I'll be the first to say that this isn't BBQ, it's not even close, but it's just another way to skin a cat. And the deliverable is top notch.

One day I'm going to learn to smoke meet, I just have never gotten into that hobby. I want to build a pretty serious smoker in my yard, there will be a time.

Reactions: dmm5157 and DanC78
1. That is debatable, there is a lot of inactive time, 10 mins to make the brine then it's just sitting in brine, 10 minutes to get it in the sous vide bath, you don't touch it then. 10 minutes to make the rub, 10 mins to take it out of the sous vide and apply the marinade / rub, then slice. This spans the course of days, but is very simple without much clean up.
2. I'd say the rub and all of the marinade stuff is about $20. So there is your incremental cost, although some use a rub for their BBQ brisket too.
3. I'd be willing to bet that 99 out of 100 people wouldn't be able to tell a true bark from this bark in a blind taste test. It really replicates it that well.

I'll be the first to say that this isn't BBQ, it's not even close, but it's just another way to skin a cat. And the deliverable is top notch.

One day I'm going to learn to smoke meet, I just have never gotten into that hobby. I want to build a pretty serious smoker in my yard, there will be a time.
That brisket looks amazing for the way it was cooked. I will just say that anyone that has bad things to say about real burnt ends (the real thing comes from the point of the brisket, which 90% of the general public is unaware of, they want the far leaner, not as flavorful flat). I always enjoy FF's posts, very good pics, made me hungry as hell. I smoked a brisket for 4th of July that I honestly could not believe I created. The burnt ends were so good, that almost no one ate the flat!! I have an issue with the liquid smoke and artificially attempting to alter the texture and flavor of the meat. I don't inject my briskets, I don't brine them. I rub them with my homemade rub, and I smoke them with a combination of hard wood & a fruit wood low & slow (225 degrees & lower) for 24 hours (my last brisket was 19 pounds combined). I then separate the point from the flat, cut the point into 1X1 cubes, put them in a tin roasting pan, lightly sauce them and put the cubes back in the smoker for another 4-5 hours. Meat candy. I am sure that one tasted great, but for me, I want the meat to be the star of the show, and cooking it low and slow, it always is.

Just my opinion, of course.

Reactions: FreeFlyNole
No need to brine, salt, pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, 18 hours at 225, hickory wood, 190 internal temp

Ok so I took some time and watched the video and read everything in the link. Did you already have a sous vide circulator?

Yes. I have 2 of them now.

That is kind of why I did this recipe, when you have a hammer you start looking for nails.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT