ADVERTISEMENT

I'm guessing FIU's engineering program is about to take a hit.

I am surprised that they didn't place a support in the roadway to support the structure until the cables had been placed. They even had a area between what looks like a left turn lane and the straight lane.

Yes, my co-worker and I said the same thing. Shorten the span, put in a temporary support in the un-used striped area. Simple to do. I bet they got resistance about putting a column in there and it being a hazard to drivers.

I think the sequence was horrible for this bridge. Build the tower first, don't place the main span until the tower is in place and can accept the load from cable stayed configuration.

Here's a GIF from the dash cam video above, slowed down to 1/8 speed.

Few observations:

1. Yes, the failure began in the vicinity of the worker on the concrete canopy structure.
  2. It's entirely possible the top canopy was unable to sufficiently transfer the load back through the diagonal brace (which in the future was to be used with support cables back to tower structure). Punching shear or otherwise.
  3. It will be important to know what the worker was doing at the time. Marco Rubio posted on twitter that crews were tightening cables, but there's no way a person should be on the canopy during that process.
  4. The fall protection completely failed for the worker on the canopy. I hope he survived.

FIU_bridge_collapse_01.gif

Originally, I was thinking it was more construction failure than design failure (jumping to conclusions on my half, of course), but now that I see this, I think we'll find it's not solely on one side or the other.
Was he tied to the crane and is that his harness that falls after?

Was he tied to the crane and is that his harness that falls after?

Looks like it. I've seen another video with someone commenting "Did you see that guy hang for a second and then fall?" so I'm guessing the harness failed and he fell into the debris.

Yes, my co-worker and I said the same thing. Shorten the span, put in a temporary support in the un-used striped area. Simple to do. I bet they got resistance about putting a column in there and it being a hazard to drivers.

I think the sequence was horrible for this bridge. Build the tower first, don't place the main span until the tower is in place and can accept the load from cable stayed configuration.
That's exactly what I thought. Of course it needs to be balanced to work. But in order to accelerate the project they did it backwards and you see the result. It's very common to place a support while building something like that. The fact that the striped area is there should have been a green light. To me it looks like they could add a left turn lane in the future hence the long span. Even if it was active take the lane anyway to support it.

Reactions: dmm5157
Looks like it. I've seen another video with someone commenting "Did you see that guy hang for a second and then fall?" so I'm guessing the harness failed and he fell into the debris.
It looks like a belt harness then which is illegal. Did he climb on the structure from the man lift over to the crane, that's what it looks like to me I don't see anyone with him. This tells me something was up if he was tied to the crane. He knew he shouldn't be there. That isn't common to tie to a crane.

It looks like a belt harness then which is illegal. Did he climb on the structure from the man lift over to the crane, that's what it looks like to me I don't see anyone with him. This tells me something was up if he was tied to the crane. He knew he shouldn't be there. That isn't common to tie to a crane.

Tend to agree there. At the very least, they should have stopped traffic if they were working on the structure. I suspect he figured "It's just the canopy, not the main structure" but the canopy was serving as a truss to connect the angled members.

Really solid collection of plan review and observations from videos taken before, during and after bridge collapse.

For those who aren't familiar with AvE's YouTube channel, he's famous for his foul language and humor. Be forewarned, however, the content is useful.

Thanks for posting that great link. My favorite part of the internet is how forums like this can tie us to information we wouldn't otherwise find.
I bet I could watch 24 hours of news just on this incident and not have as much useful information as was conveyed in that video.

Reactions: noleclone2
Really solid collection of plan review and observations from videos taken before, during and after bridge collapse.

For those who aren't familiar with AvE's YouTube channel, he's famous for his foul language and humor. Be forewarned, however, the content is useful.

Thanks for sharing this. I didn’t really understand all of it but he’s very convincing.

Reactions: dmm5157
FIU_bridge_collapse_01.gif

I've thought this before, but this video solidifies my idea that dashcams should be integrated in every car.

Thanks for sharing this. I didn’t really understand all of it but he’s very convincing.

He doesn't always know what he's talking about (uses a few incorrect terms in the video, but overall he hits on some compelling observations ), but he always speaks with conviction and is generally very funny.

After watching this video, I think this will end up being mostly construction related and not design related.

Been thinking about who thought it was a good idea to pull on the "loose" tension rods. You have to think the structure is sagging if the tension is not tight especially if it had been tightened at on point. So them pulling on that section mostly likely cause the thing to collapse.

Been thinking about who thought it was a good idea to pull on the "loose" tension rods. You have to think the structure is sagging if the tension is not tight especially if it had been tightened at on point. So them pulling on that section mostly likely cause the thing to collapse.
As a non-engineer, it looks obvious that when the segment was moved without support directly under where the diagonal trusses meet the base, and without the horizontal supports that were supposed to go left to right betweeen the lifts underneath, that to much weight was transferred to the concrete spans that were not “stressed”at that time. The bridge segment suffered damage while being moved.

Good to see Matt Morgan’s self-serving media releases today that he will be the “first” lawyer to file a lawsuit over this (this AM). So everything will be fine. “For the People” is on the scene and ready to help.

I am actually OK with people filing lawsuits when they have a claim. And the victims of this tragedy obviously have claims. But when the TV lawyer injects HIMSELF as the “main story,” that is when I reach for the nausea medication.

Non engineer, but it seems crazy the bridge fails right where the crane / workmen are.

What was that awful addicting game Belem posted on here years ago where you built contraptions to beat puzzle levels?

Good to see Matt Morgan’s self-serving media releases today that he will be the “first” lawyer to file a lawsuit over this (this AM). So everything will be fine. “For the People” is on the scene and ready to help.

I am actually OK with people filing lawsuits when they have a claim. And the victims of this tragedy obviously have claims. But when the TV lawyer injects HIMSELF as the “main story,” that is when I reach for the nausea medication.

Didn't take long. Nice to know someone is willing to fight for the people. Never let an emergency go to waste.

So it looks like from the time lapse videos just released, they loosened the steel rods and then later returned to tighten them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT