ADVERTISEMENT

In light of Friday's "controversy", I thought I'd...

pcnole1976

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2022
share some insight...and facts, from a retired umpire's perspective.

As many know, I retired from college and high school softball umpiring a few years ago and I try to share information from an umpire's viewpoint whenever it may be helpful.
I worked a handful of practice games over the years for my son's high school baseball team...just on the bases, so that's the limit of my knowledge of umpiring baseball games. Because of that, even though it is standard mechanics for baseball umpires, I personally think it's ridiculous for the plate umpire to ask for help from the first or third base umpire, on a check swing. The base umpires are 100+ feet away from the plate! When I was out there working, I was surprised at what a difference it is from softball. Anyway, I just think it's asking an awful lot for a base umpire to make that call.

We all grow up with the mistaken understanding of rules like "tie goes to the runner" or other "urban myths" that we may have played by, but really weren't/aren't part of the rule book. Since the ruling Friday night, I've heard since that play is a judgement call, it's not reviewable. I do understand that it's not reviewable, but that particular play IS NOT a judgement call. Rule 2.39 is written for what in baseball terms, is called a "Half Swing". It says this:

"An attempt by the batter to stop the forward motion of the bat while swinging, which puts the batter in jeopardy of a strike being called. The half swing shall be called a strike if the barrel head of the bat passes the batter’s front hip. This does not apply to a bunt attempt when the batter pulls the bat back."

So, clearly this is very specific and really not a "judgement call". Of course, the umpire has to decide (judge) if the barrel of the bat crosses the batter's front hip, but it is clearly reviewable and if he "judges" incorrectly, just like any other close play at any base or plate, it can be and SHOULD be reviewed and corrected!!

I don't think there's any doubt that the barrel of the bat went past his front hip and should have been called a strike. I also don't blame the 3rd base umpire completely, because he's 100+ feet away from the plate, and the system put him in a position to fail. It is a bad system from a mechanics standpoint and like Link said after the game...it should be a reviewable play. And to his credit, apparently he's been saying that for quite some time, not just after Friday's game.

Anyway, just my perspective of what happened and what hopefully will happen/change in the future.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News