ADVERTISEMENT

In what situation would you intervene in a fight or assault between people you don't know?

BrianNole09

Starter
May 8, 2005
I know of some brutal situations where "Good Samaritans" were killed when they tried to intervene in a fight and it got me thinking.

I like to think of myself as a charitable guy that likes to help others (that deserve or legitimately need help)

It's very dangerous to intervene in a fight or assault. If two guys were fighting in a relatively fair fight, I don't think there's any way I would try to get in the middle of it. I'd probably watch and call 911. No chance am I getting involved with that. Or if a domestic dispute is occurring and a girl is getting pummeled by her bad boy Baby Daddy...no way am I getting involved with that. Not a chance.

I think the only way I would physically intervene in a fight is if someone was beating a child or if it was a life or death situation. I like to think I wouldn't stand and watch an innocent person get stabbed to death right in front of me if I could stop it. I hope I'd at least tackle the assailant and eye gouge him.

But I think the only time that I would definitely risk my life is if a child was involved.

What situation would compel you to intervene in a fight or assault between people you didn't know?

I know of some brutal situations where "Good Samaritans" were killed when they tried to intervene in a fight and it got me thinking.

I like to think of myself as a charitable guy that likes to help others (that deserve or legitimately need help)

It's very dangerous to intervene in a fight or assault. If two guys were fighting in a relatively fair fight, I don't think there's any way I would try to get in the middle of it. I'd probably watch and call 911. No chance am I getting involved with that. Or if a domestic dispute is occurring and a girl is getting pummeled by her bad boy Baby Daddy...no way am I getting involved with that. Not a chance.

I think the only way I would physically intervene in a fight is if someone was beating a child or if it was a life or death situation. I like to think I wouldn't stand and watch an innocent person get stabbed to death right in front of me if I could stop it. I hope I'd at least tackle the assailant and eye gouge him.

But I think the only time that I would definitely risk my life is if a child was involved.

What situation would compel you to intervene in a fight or assault between people you didn't know?
We talk about this very subject during our lecture on the color code of mental awareness at Front Sight. When developing the "combat mindset", it is very important to determine what your personal "red line" is WELL IN ADVANCE because in the event of a true violent encounter, you will have less than 3 seconds to act. In fact, it is important to play out in your mind under what circumstances you would intervene or involve yourself. The basic legal guideline is that you would be justified in intervening with deadly force if you felt that you or someone else was in imminent danger and feared that your failure to act would or could result in loss of life or. There are obviously different scenarios (size, legitimacy of threat, degree, etc..) but personally, my "red line" is if I witnessed a degree of violence that could cause life threatening injuries. At that point, I would issue a stop command, with my weapon drawn, finger on the trigger, ready to deliver a controlled pair to the thoracic cavity.

A failure to stop, or a continued assault would result in a bad day for the scumbag perpetrator.

That being said, involving yourself in these situations is a hell of a thorny patch, and I would go through this in your mind in detail.

Food for thought.

Reactions: BrianNole09

Almost never unless there was a young child at risk. If it's adults, then it's every nonLEO adult for themselves. I don't have the training nor responsibility to be a vigilante.

If anyone is getting pummeled by anyone, i believe I would step in. As to me that gets into life threatening situation and I couldn't turn a blind eye to that. Same thing applies to if multiple people are jumping 1 person. In that scenario, I may be a little more cautious depending how many are there and as to whether I could stop it or not.

Well. There are lots of reasons not to. I've done it before without really thinking it thru.

I was at a music event at a Chicago club/bar. Some fellow was getting pummeled and punched in the face and knocked down in front of me. I stepped over him as the aggressor moved forward to continue the attack so that I was in between the fellow on the floor and the aggressor. He walked in to me, acted like he intended to hit me and I told him "you don't want to do that." He walked away.

These situations are quite dangerous, especially domestic fights. If it's too serious i would suggest calling the cops.

Well. There are lots of reasons not to. I've done it before without really thinking it thru.

I was at a music event at a Chicago club/bar. Some fellow was getting pummeled and punched in the face and knocked down in front of me. I stepped over him as the aggressor moved forward to continue the attack so that I was in between the fellow on the floor and the aggressor. He walked in to me, acted like he intended to hit me and I told him "you don't want to do that." He walked away.

These situations are quite dangerous, especially domestic fights. If it's too serious i would suggest calling the cops.
I would almost always call the cops before I intervene or ask someone else to call while I intervene.

In college I have gotten iinvolved to stop people from a worse beat down. Once I remember I was walking from one apartment to mine in my complex and there were 5 guys beating down and some one, stomping at him etc. I stopped them, called the paramedics and waited until they arrived.

Turned out he was a military guy that came to visit a friend, got to drunk and left behind and somehow got in an altercation. Looking back 14 years now, one more kick in the head could have caused long term damage.

I would do the same thing today as long as I felt my life would not be in danger.

In college I have gotten iinvolved to stop people from a worse beat down. Once I remember I was walking from one apartment to mine in my complex and there were 5 guys beating down and some one, stomping at him etc. I stopped them, called the paramedics and waited until they arrived.

Turned out he was a military guy that came to visit a friend, got to drunk and left behind and somehow got in an altercation. Looking back 14 years now, one more kick in the head could have caused long term damage.

I would do the same thing today as long as I felt my life would not be in danger.

My problem is I am too confident in both my abilities to defend myself and my abilities to talk my way out of/manipulate behavior (I am a psychologist). I know this is an illusion, but, in the moment, I have a tendency to act and, I never seem to experience any appropriate level of fear. For example, I was attacked by a teen with an axe at one point. After an initial dodge, I talked him out of it. I'm not even sure my heart rate increased. In retrospect, umm . . . damn.

I used to say I'd do it to protect a woman getting pummelled, but I've seen too many situations where that results in very bad consequences. I think it was someone on here who shared a story of a friend intervening in a woman getting beat up at a line to enter a club. After the situation calms down and the bf walks away, he turns around to go back to waiting in line. Apparently the bf went to his car, got a gun and came back to shoot him in the head for intervening. The girl covered for him when the police went searching for him.

I intervened once with a downstairs neighbor who was beating his gf so badly that it woke me from a dead sleep through walls that never let sound of neighbors in. Of course a few weeks back she let the guy back in to live with her after he had almost killed her and destroyed the apt. I told her that if her judgment was that poor, that the next time I'd just go back to sleep. I then went to the apartment managers and told them that either that couple was evicted, or I was leaving and they wouldn't see another bit of rent from me. They were gone by the end of the week.

If you've been around here long enough, there was a poster who posted a story probably about ten years ago or more. Poster was with friends outside a bar what a dude started roughing up a girl. Poster's buddy stepped in to stop it, and the dude put a bullet in his brain right in the street.

I may not be proud of it, but as long as I've got kids to raise, I'm not stepping in for anything, with the possible exception of a woman whipping up on a little baby or something. My first responsibility is to my kids. I'd like to think when I'm done with that and they're grown adults, my line will be different.

If you've been around here long enough, there was a poster who posted a story probably about ten years ago or more. Poster was with friends outside a bar what a dude started roughing up a girl. Poster's buddy stepped in to stop it, and the dude put a bullet in his brain right in the street.

I may not be proud of it, but as long as I've got kids to raise, I'm not stepping in for anything, with the possible exception of a woman whipping up on a little baby or something. My first responsibility is to my kids. I'd like to think when I'm done with that and they're grown adults, my line will be different.

Sad Story.
And one of the reasons I exercise my 2nd amendment and obtained a Concealed Weapon or Firearm License to do so. Also, I would like to think in that situation if I was with friends all of us would have stepped in to stop it. And I still have 3 kids to raise. I can't just turn a blind eye to watching someone getting beat down and possibly killed.

Nope - too many people are armed (legally or illegally) in Texas. And what should normally end in some grabbing and maybe a weak punch, ends up with someone getting shot or stabbed. Used to be that, generally, bar fights ended with a bloody nose, black eye and night in the drunk tank. Now a days a gun or knife gets pulled out.

I ain't a big guy so I gotta take that into account. I could probably break up a fight amongst 3rd graders. I could've stepped in to protect that Uber driver in Miami too...

I would certainly try to do something, call 911, enlist a bunch of other bystanders, etc.

We talk about this very subject during our lecture on the color code of mental awareness at Front Sight. When developing the "combat mindset", it is very important to determine what your personal "red line" is WELL IN ADVANCE because in the event of a true violent encounter, you will have less than 3 seconds to act. In fact, it is important to play out in your mind under what circumstances you would intervene or involve yourself. The basic legal guideline is that you would be justified in intervening with deadly force if you felt that you or someone else was in imminent danger and feared that your failure to act would or could result in loss of life or. There are obviously different scenarios (size, legitimacy of threat, degree, etc..) but personally, my "red line" is if I witnessed a degree of violence that could cause life threatening injuries. At that point, I would issue a stop command, with my weapon drawn, finger on the trigger, ready to deliver a controlled pair to the thoracic cavity.

A failure to stop, or a continued assault would result in a bad day for the scumbag perpetrator.

That being said, involving yourself in these situations is a hell of a thorny patch, and I would go through this in your mind in detail.

Food for thought.

Could you be more specific.

Which ventricle in the thoracic cavity you would target.
Well, the founder of Front Sight was a Doctor. When he designed our training targets, he measured over 20,000 X-rays and came up with a true human "average thoracic target area". That being said, point of aim would be the very center of the thoracic cavity.

Failure to stop after a controlled pair to the thoracic cavity would be followed by a single round delivered to the cranio-ocular cavity.

Hope that answered your query :)

Lesson from Granddad: "when two idiots get in a fight, everyone is a winner."

If both combatants strike me as losers, let them kill each other. If one of them strikes me as a decent person in need of help, I might step in. It's a game time decision that is impacted by a myriad of factors....."it just depends."

A woman or child. If I got killed because of it then at least it would be a good death and I would be perfectly fine with that, and yes I've thought about that often in the past couple of years.

A woman or child. If I got killed because of it then at least it would be a good death and I would be perfectly fine with that, and yes I've thought about that often in the past couple of years.

What if she was some trashy single Mother? You'd get involved with that?

What if she was some trashy single Mother? You'd get involved with that?

I don't segregate humans based upon what they look like. I learned that little lesson about 20 years at a biker rally at Styx River, these big muscle bound, tatted up bikers were some of the coolest guys I've ever hung around.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
If I saw tattoos, wife beater t shirts and stringy hair I'd put the pieces together and guess :)
That could very well be a woman who just wanted to run to the grocery store to get something real quick without wanting to fix herself up and then she could be being attacked by a rapist/murderer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT