ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Pot Recs

GoNolesTX

Seminole Insider
Sep 5, 2006
Far North Dallas
Quick LR search for any instant pot threads and nothing comes up. Ordered one of these today (5 year anniversary "reward" - was the best of slim options) and kind of stoked. I've seen some posts on social media about folks getting these and loving them.

Anyone in the LR have these? Reviews? Ideas/recipes?

Don't have one but I like the idea of a multi use cooker.

This is what I got. It was the best bang for your buck imo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FLYWNYQ?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

I absolutely love it. I’m driving at the moment but I’ll come back later and share some recipes. But I’ve made everything from the best roast beef I’ve had to softening gizzards (20 mins to go from inedible rubber to ultra soft, almost Oysteresque) before pan frying them to get a crispy outside and tossing in a honey, fish sauce, garlic, Chinese dark soy, and black vinegar sauce. Turned $2.50 worth of gizzards into one of the best “Asian” dishes I’ve had.

Reactions: KitingHigh
This is what I got. It was the best bang for your buck imo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FLYWNYQ?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

I absolutely love it. I’m driving at the moment but I’ll come back later and share some recipes. But I’ve made everything from the best roast beef I’ve had to softening gizzards (20 mins to go from inedible rubber to ultra soft, almost Oysteresque) before pan frying them to get a crispy outside and tossing in a honey, fish sauce, garlic, Chinese dark soy, and black vinegar sauce. Turned $2.50 worth of gizzards into one of the best “Asian” dishes I’ve had.

Probably not the best dish to showcase the InstantPot.

We have one and while the food comes out good it’s ‘Instant’ only in a relative sense. Quite a pain to clean IMO.

For reference, what the company is buying me:

81gWnyr7cBL._SX679_.jpg

I have had one for about a year and love it. It's great for cooking cuts of meat that would otherwise need a long time to cook. For example, I did some lamb shanks in there in about 2 hours start to finish--about 50 minutes at high pressure with the rest of the time allowing it to get up to pressure and then to let the pressure come down. Super easy to clean up afterwards as well. It also makes great chicken stock (clean and very flavorful) in that amount of time with no fuss.

I have a co-worker that just raves about it, and I looked into it and thought about it. Watched a bunch of youtube videos of different dishes, and I just couldn't convince myself I'd use it enough vs a crock pot or dutch oven to make it worth another piece of equipment. I'm sure there'd be a few things, but it didn't seem instant enough to make it worth it, and almost every recipe I watched a video for involved some other step of searing or browning anyway.

I guess I don't make enough "pot" dishes that I really feel the need to cut time when I do, I just plan accordingly. If I did that stuff more frequently it would be more useful to me.

I originally thought it was a like a real pressure cooker where you could make fried chicken or something and that I was interested in.

My wife uses it quite a bit. I don’t have any recipes but she has made a bunch of meals in it that come out great. It works great for soups, oatmeal, beans, and rice too.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Quick LR search for any instant pot threads and nothing comes up. Ordered one of these today (5 year anniversary "reward" - was the best of slim options) and kind of stoked. I've seen some posts on social media about folks getting these and loving them.

I have a multicooker from Gourmia. Love that thing.

As others have said it is great for cooking cuts of meat that take forever as well as for those that live at higher elevations

I've got one but haven't used it as much as I thought I would.

Would love some good recipes though!

the wife got one for mother's day and has made a few things. latest was some ribs.

I got one of these recently as a gift and have enjoyed it so far. I've made cuban roast pork, beef stew, and barbacoa beef (for tacos/enchiladas) so far. Each meal was really easy and came out pretty much perfect. The cuban roast pork used to take me about 8-10 hours in the crock pot and took maybe 1.5 hours in the instant pot. The barbacoa beef was made from a chuck roast and it was fall apart tender after about an hour.

So is this some kinda hybrid pressure/slow cooker?

And you can cook a chuck roast or brisket in 1.5 hrs instead of 5?

I've got one but haven't used it as much as I thought I would.

Would love some good recipes though!

Pinterest has thousands of recipes.

I have the 8 quart InstaPot and use I from time to time. There are only two of us at home (daughter away in college and son is always out somewhere) so to use it all the time for dinner if kind of a pain in the butt. Too much of a hassle for two people but it does come in handy for parties and making things for larger gatherings. I should have purchased the smaller one.

So is this some kinda hybrid pressure/slow cooker?

And you can cook a chuck roast or brisket in 1.5 hrs instead of 5?

It's a multi cooker. So you can sauté, pressure cook, slow cook, make yogurt.

Hard boiled eggs, pasta/sauce, corn on the cob, rice, yogurt are probably the most common things I make. There are Facebook groups galore with recipes and suggestions/tips.

Used it last night to make a chicken and rice recipe from Nole Daddy's delish link.

Pretty good, will see how moist the leftovers are today for lunch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT