ADVERTISEMENT

Ironic

Maybe. Depends on whether the corps are performative in their pursuit. Bet they are.

Last edited:
Seems they’re not allowed to ban men from coming because of equal opportunity law. Kind of ironic, I agree.

Also, in the pics/video it appears to be mostly Asian men. Identitarian types (us version) tend to be dem upper ses white men and women.

Last edited:
They could have just said they’re non binary and bing bang boom they’re in the door no questions asked.
I think that's what some or most of them did. Another article stated the organizers thought some lied on the applications or mis stated their gender. But your right, just say you identify for that day to get a foot in the door.

I think those guys really undermined their chances of getting hired by anyone through their actions here.
IDK. Would be real hard at this point for a hiring manager to turn someone down on this basis if you cold prove that. What does that say about the whole thing?

The guys I know in tech who make hiring decisions, including a former moderator of this forum, are really disgusted by this situation and have been unequivocal regarding their perspectives on the job prospects for the men who crashed this event, especially given the relatively few open positions and the commitment to making tech a more gender inclusive industry.
If your objective is to create a more inclusive and diverse environment its counter productive to exclude an entre group don't you think?

Reactions: Banditking
It depends on the group being excluded. Guys who would crash an event intended for women and nonbinary people are not bringing a productive perspective to an industry that has historically been quite hostile to people who are not cishet men.
Hostile is a tad harsh. Its true that tech and STEM industry jobs are male dominate but its also a byproduct of the education required for those jobs. The gap starts way before hiring managers get involved.

Hostile is the word that my friends in tech have consistently used going back to when they were undergrads and saw the manner in which the 1-2 women typically in their classes were treated. I definitely agree that the hostility starts way before the hiring process, but it has also continued in that process and in those workplaces.
That hasn't been my experience working in the STEM community. While there is a male heavy representation in classes, recruiting fairs and applicants the numbers tend to match up with respect to percentage of women in STEM programs to numbers hired for jobs. In fact a large percentage of women in STEM degree programs get hired when compared to men at least with the companies I have dealt with.

I worked for a government agency and now do contract work and none of the companies or agencies I've worked with or for would hold an event that excludes any group. Way too much risk involved regardless of how well intentioned it is.

Last edited:
Call it what you want! I needed a job so anybody that got in my way got “ moshed”!

And I liked it!

It depends on the group being excluded. Guys who would crash an event intended for women and nonbinary people are not bringing a productive perspective to an industry that has historically been quite hostile to people who are not cishet men.
How about the guys who crash women's sporting events such as NCAA swimming?

• Haha
Reactions: Ohio1nole
I have been speaking specifically about the tech/CS community, which is the community for whom the Grace Hopper Celebration conference is held and to which my friends belong. Nevertheless, the challenges posed by persistent educational biases, e.g., "the male math myth," and general cultural sexism faced by girls and nonbinary people very early in their educations with regard to math and later with regard to science and engineering are well documented.
When I say STEM that encompasses CS and Tech communities.

How about the guys who crash women's sporting events such as NCAA swimming?
Good point. I heard someone say that when you let the camel put his nose in the tent you cant be surprised that he gets all the way in. Or something like that.

Call it what you want! I needed a job so anybody that got in my way got “ moshed”!

And I liked it!
Here's the thing. The whole episode is going to be bad for everyone involved. The "guys" that crashed the event wont gain anything significant but the ones that complain about the guys being there wont either. I think the whole thing was a bad idea. Kind of the quiet part out loud thing.

That hasn't been my experience working in the STEM community. While there is a male heavy representation in classes, recruiting fairs and applicants the numbers tend to match up with respect to percentage of women in STEM programs to numbers hired for jobs. In fact a large percentage of women in STEM degree programs get hired when compared to men at least with the companies I have dealt with.

I worked for a government agency and now do contract work and none of the companies or agencies I've worked with or for would hold an event that excludes any group. Way too much risk involved regardless of how well intentioned it is.
Yep. If you’re competent and a woman, tech is easy street. You’ll get an easier promotion path, put on advertising materials, special access to various programs, etc.

Source: I know lots of people in high level tech including women.

Of course, there are true believer progressive types that would be annoyed with the crashing of the event.

Personally, I view the men who crashed it poorly because it is disrespectful to the event and, even if you don’t agree that it should exist and it’s unfair, it’s not a winning hand to play. Shows poor judgement. And, I think nonbinary is incredibly irrelevant for recruiting. It was a dumb move to open it to that.

I see no good reason for a women only recruiting event and wouldn’t recruit at one. Wouldn’t want to hire someone using uncontrollable aspects of their identity to get a job. Relatedly, I think Florida has the right idea banning diversity statements at all levels of hiring and promotion. They create unnecessary angst in students and faculty trying to thread the needle not to push anyone’s buttons by omitting target phrases of the day whilst also not coming off as a left wing activist. I view these statements in the same way I’d view being asked to explain how I’d forward the goals and gospel of Christianity at work and it feels like a civil rights violation to me. In fact, I’m convinced it is. Just requires the right combination of lawsuits and a non-ideologically captured court to codify. It’s religious zealotry.

These events to me are just another way of creating politically motivated factions, identifying like-minded true believers and those willing to play along and grabbing power outside of the scope of merit. It’s evangelical activity. I’d see a Christian or Muslim business mentorship event in the same way. Wouldn’t recruit at one.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT