ADVERTISEMENT

Is all broadband services horrible?

jamnolfin

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Panama City Beach, Florida
I had Wow and it cut off all the time, switched to AT&T and they are just as bad. Bad reviews of Comcast. What do you have thats any good? My Verizon card I use for work works perfectly but charges for usage so I cant use that for home use. I don't know what to do. I have to decide today to cut off ATT or keep it since its the 30th day

I have WOW now after the move and oddly enough it is pretty good. Speed is 25 down and 3 up. Streaming has yet to buffer on any tv in the house.

Probably an unpopular opinion but I think Comcast has the best product. I've had AT&T and Century Link in the past but always came back to Comcast. I'd just would rather have a product that works than a nice customer service rep who I have to call all the time b/c my internet is down. Actually they just raised the speed at no charge.

Reactions: CJRN
Verizon sucks. I have their Fios internet and they consistently bump down so slow that my streaming direct TV feed crashes. They like to remind me whenever I call that wireless service is not guaranteed. Someone could have a tasty class action on their hands.

We've had Comcast for years. Broadband has been fine for us for the most part.

On the cable side we upgraded to their Xfinity system awhile back. Big mistake. It's like everything else these days, every company wants to force feed you an immersive, totally-connected multimedia/social media environment, apparently to make it easier for me to Tweet about my favorite shows while I'm browsing Facebook and streaming NetFlix, when all I want to do is flip through the *&$*@# channels at the end of the evening.

Comcast has the worst customer service, worst pricing, and in general is a horrible company.

They do have the one of the better products. We have issues in the evenings though with bandwidth. You share the same pipe with everyone on your street/neighborhood and trying to stream netflix in the evenings is not that great of an experience most of the time.

I have a local provider called Litestream. My area of St Johns County is limited on internet providers and my only other choice was AT&T. Litestream is cable internet and it works a lot better than AT&T does. It's not bad. I get 15 down and, IIRC, 6 up.

So they are all just horrible?
I just can't pull the plug on cable again, it's pretty bad. I have Directtv so I don't need a inferior product for TV but this internet issue is bad. I can't believe they can't make a product as good as my Verizon mifi, no cable, no phone line and works perfect.

AT&T internet sucks. No other way to put it. It's slow and it conks out constantly. My buddy who moved in two streets over from us can only get AT&T unless he gets Florida High Speed Internet, which is something new for our neighborhood. It's supposed to be a microwave emitted internet signal that is extremely fast and reliable.

We had AT&T for a few months before we moved to St Johns County because we got fed up with Comcast's bullshit.

Verizon sucks. I have their Fios internet and they consistently bump down so slow that my streaming direct TV feed crashes. They like to remind me whenever I call that wireless service is not guaranteed. Someone could have a tasty class action on their hands.

It sounds like you're conflating separate things.
You're getting fiber to your house from Verizon at whatever speed. That connection is going into a router, which either itself functions as a wireless access point, or you have a wireless access point plugged into it. It sounds like you have you TV streaming over the wifi in your house (which is subject to all kinds of interference), and sometimes have problems with that connection.
Do you have any computers wired directly that you could use to test the internet separate from the wifi and ensure the slowdown is with the Fios and not your wifi?
They can't guarantee the quality of your in house wifi because they can't do anything about the sources of interference.

I've had Fios internet for a while and so far it's been great. We'll stream Netflix downstairs, a roommate is playing xbox online and I have my computer up all at the same time and no issues. I had an issue when I first started with my own router so I went ahead and switched to one of theirs and sure enough, works like a dream now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT