ADVERTISEMENT

Is the old LR forbidden ?

littleitch1

Seminole Insider
Nov 26, 2008
I guess the question is this, can posts or anything be mentioned on this board?

Or is that like forbidden fruit that must be avoided at all costs?

Seeing funk post again made me think back on the LR prior to my multi year exodus

Reactions: BrianNole777
Not forbidden imo. And it sure as hell isn't premium content! LMFAO Whose bright idea over there was it to think all the stupid shit that got posted in the LR was premium content to read?????? Again, LMFAO.

Reactions: NoleFan2U
I think it was when the LR got political and there was a spin off called the Raucous Caucus. Before that no one was aware of or based their like or dislike of a poster.
The Tribe got too tribal!?
I get it! :)

Not forbidden imo. And it sure as hell isn't premium content! LMFAO Whose bright idea over there was it to think all the stupid shit that got posted in the LR was premium content to read?????? Again, LMFAO.
It was made premium, not because of the content but to run off a group of posters. It worked. That was a decision made by one person.

There was some personal strife that developed between a couple of factions who knew each other IRL that ultimately resulted in the “girlcott.” That preceded the political bickering uptick that corresponded with the Hanging Chad era and lead to Madcow and I spinning off the RC in an attempt to keep the LR more civil. The “arena” in the RC was also an attempt to contain the animosity and constant personal attacks. Clearly, none of it was successful.
Thanks for the clarity regarding history. Thankful that many of the ugly exchanges on our boards
occur electronically rather than In Real Life. Otherwise the ground would be strewn with Real Bodies.

Reactions: seminoleed
many people cannot handle spirited debate. They take it too personally. Taking things personally is also a very popular argument strategy today. There is power in offense. That’s what broke the old lr.

Rc was interesting for a little while but got tiring quickly. Pointless.

Some of the issue is also changes in overall culture. Eg the wheel of time tv show, the director stated that he was reimagining the story based on modern feminist perspectives. Well, that’s inherently political. Result: wheel of time Reddits now have a lot of problems whereas prior to this show they did not.

Last edited:
many people cannot handle spirited debate. They take it too personally. Taking things personally is also a very popular argument strategy today. There is power in offense. That’s what broke the old lr.

Some of the issue is also changes in overall culture. Eg the wheel of time tv show, the director stated that he was reimagining the story based on modern feminist perspectives. Well, that’s inherently political. Result: wheel of time Reddits now have a lot of problems whereas prior to this show they did not.
Re taking things too personally and the power of offense, ya gotta chuckle at anybody who would expend the energy to rant and boycott over a gift of a custom beer can or a rainbow display in a store. Bizarre times for sure.

Reactions: GeddyLee09

I think everyone should read this article before debating/arguing about anything. :)

Re taking things too personally and the power of offense, ya gotta chuckle at anybody who would expend the energy to rant and boycott over a gift of a custom beer can or a rainbow display in a store. Bizarre times for sure.
The culture war stuff definitely feels out of hand. One might quibble over who is driving that and how it came about.

I think everyone should read this article before debating/arguing about anything. :)

I don’t really agree. :) I think debates and argument have cumulative impacts on positions people hold. Though, there’s likely an age interaction with that.

Reactions: fredfarkle336
I think debates/arguments have perhaps a .001% success rate in changing people's minds.

Presidential debates. Probably right. Though, I think Rubio and Jeb were crushed by them. But, anything you read or watch is expressing some sort of position, an argument. There are positions in which people are largely intractable, eg adults with religion and things in which people may be moved one way or the other. A lot of the repetition we see in media on certain themes might be considered an elongated form of argument. And, it definitely has an effect.

As far as an actual debate format, some of the stuff done by intelligence squared (podcast) I found really interesting. I’ve also found the process of formal debating important. I like to be able to take either side of an issue and argue it effectively.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianNole777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT