ADVERTISEMENT

Minimum Wage

I was going to say $5-10, but I usually don't get a drink. I will drop by my local one for lunch today and snap a picture of the menu. Regardless, it's by far the best bargain for a very tasty, satisfying meal.
You can pay 11 bucks for a Big Mac meal in most places and its not good. Prices will rise but In and Out is good value for the quality of the food.

I like the Big Mac when it's fresh and made well, which is sadly rare. I still grab one once per year or so, but I have been shocked by how expensive they have gotten. Back in high school, the local McDonald's would typically have Big Macs 2for$2, and a buddy of mine and I would track how many we could eat in a month: the loser picked up the tab of the loser. It was good times, but my car always smelled like a McDonald's kitchen.

Reactions: BelemNole
It's subjective, of course, but I do not think that Culver's is as good as In-N-Out. I put them in the same tier as Chick-FIl-A and Shake Shack. More controversially, I also put Whataburger in that tier. To be clear, that's the "very good" tier, and I consider that esteemed company. It's just not the In-N-Out tier.

Regarding In-N-Out, overall, I just really like them for a lot of reasons. Of course, the food is delicious and cheap and kept me alive through grad school when I was making less than $20K/year in one of the most expensive cities in the world. They have also provided steady, enjoyable employment for a lot of my students while they were in college over the years. I also just generally like the aesthetic and seeing one in a neighborhood or along the freeway brings a smile to my face.
I like a good burger. In n out is fine. But, largely not present in my world, and not mind blowing. Of the chains, I like Culver’s.

Back in the day, the best chain burger I had was a Miami based store called Rudy’s. They lasted a while but went under. Great fries too.

I never made it to Rudy's, but it reminds me of Steak 'n Shake. They had a good reputation when I was in college, but I recall the one location being way out in the middle of nowhere. I don't think that I have seen one in years.

One place I always stop when I see one is A&W. There is one out near Lake Mead that I typically visit after a hike. I am sure that I probably consume around 3000 calories from the self-serve root beer tap, but damn it hits the spot.

Reactions: Banditking
Next time! I believe in Norvell.
And with Stanford and Berkeley in the ACC now, we may even get some regular season games out here on the best coast. I think that we might try to make it back to Tallahassee for the Berkeley game this fall, and we are definitely going to the Miami game at Strawberry Creek.

I am really enjoying the realignment chaos so far. SC has a wild schedule and an unbelievable home slate this coming season.

And with Stanford and Berkeley in the ACC now, we may even get some regular season games out here on the best coast. I think that we might try to make it back to Tallahassee for the Berkeley game this fall, and we are definitely going to the Miami game at Strawberry Creek.

I am really enjoying the realignment chaos so far. SC has a wild schedule and an unbelievable home slate this coming season.
I was planning on hitting the Stanford home game but I'm not sure we'll still be in the ACC by then.

Reactions: F4Gary
I was planning on hitting the Stanford home game but I'm not sure we'll still be in the ACC by then.
I know! I have been joking about that with my partner: absurdly, FSU is now in the same conference with Berkeley and Stanford, but they are likely to leave before we ever get a regular season game in the Bay Area.

Stanford clearly got the "FU" schedule from the ACC with the only interesting home game being VT. I may go to the SMU game, just for the novelty, but it is otherwise wholly underwhelming.

I never made it to Rudy's, but it reminds me of Steak 'n Shake. They had a good reputation when I was in college, but I recall the one location being way out in the middle of nowhere. I don't think that I have seen one in years.

One place I always stop when I see one is A&W. There is one out near Lake Mead that I typically visit after a hike. I am sure that I probably consume around 3000 calories from the self-serve root beer tap, but damn it hits the spot.
I haven’t seen an a&w in years maybe 15+. I like them too.

I first had in n out burger in San Jose I think. That was a long time ago. They’re in Austin now, which is where I’ve most recently had it.

I haven’t seen an a&w in years maybe 15+. I like them too.

I first had in n out burger in San Jose I think. That was a long time ago. They’re in Austin now, which is where I’ve most recently had it.
That Texas distribution center was a long time in the making. I read that they plan to open a location in Nashville in a couple of years as the eastern terminus of that distribution network.

So we can all laugh at Stanford, I wanted to share that I just received an email from their athletics department begging me to buy season tickets for $125. Nah, Stanford, not when I can typically attend your home games for free just by waiting for you to induce me to attend any game with free tickets.

• Haha
So we can all laugh at Stanford, I wanted to share that I just received an email from their athletics department begging me to buy season tickets for $125. Nah, Stanford, not when I can typically attend your home games for free just by waiting for you to induce me to attend any game with free tickets.
Do you work for/with them now?

That’s great, congrats.

Hey my daughter is in her 3rd quarter at Santa Cruz and doing well.
That is awesome! Congratulations to both of you! That campus is absolutely stunning. The counseling center there is like a glass-enclosed treehouse. My partner's sister got one of her masters at Santa Cruz, and I always enjoyed visiting her there.

I was going to say $5-10, but I usually don't get a drink. I will drop by my local one for lunch today and snap a picture of the menu. Regardless, it's by far the best bargain for a very tasty, satisfying meal.
Lunch obtained. The three meals on the menu (Double Double, cheeseburger, hamburger) are $10.80, $9.00, and $8.50; respectively. I got a Double Double Animal Style, a hamburger + grilled onions, and two fries for $15.93.

Coincidentally, I dropped by the McDonald's across the street to compare. Big Mac meal is $10.48; 2 Cheeseburger meal is $8.79. The McDonald's had a "Now hiring starting at $20" sign. The In-N-Out's sign has been updated to say "starting at $25."

That is awesome! Congratulations to both of you! That campus is absolutely stunning. The counseling center there is like a glass-enclosed treehouse. My partner's sister got one of her masters at Santa Cruz, and I always enjoyed visiting her there.
Yeah, I told her to enjoy her time there as it will be decades before she can afford to live there again.

hahaha! Yea, Santa Cruz is no joke. Back when I was doing contract negotiations, the Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara folks were always grumpy about not getting the location adjustments that LA and the Bay Area got, despite arguably having a higher cost of living.

$25 an hour at a fast food joint is unbelievable.
40 hour week $1,000k or $52k a year, right?

But you know what? Realistically it’s still not enough to live on in SoCal or many other urban settings. It’s still a high school kid or a retiree part time job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT