ADVERTISEMENT

It was only a matter of time: Scott Weiland found dead.

OrlandNole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Nov 29, 2003
(CNN)Scott Weiland, whose extraordinary career as the lead singer of the Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver was overshadowed by his unending battle with drug addiction, has died.

He was 48.

His manager Tom Vitorino confirmed his death, but he didn't disclose the cause.

Weiland was found dead while on tour with his latest band.

"Scott Weiland, best known as the lead singer for Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver, passed away in his sleep while on a tour stop in Bloomington, Minnesota, with his band The Wildabouts," a statement on his Facebook page said. "At this time we ask that the privacy of Scott's family be respected."

Rest of the story

Damn!!! STP is one of my favorite bands and Scott was my second favorite singer behind Geoff Tate. This sux. So many great tunes. I remember we went through a couple of Core cd's in 93. Interstate love song is in my top 5 songs. Such a great tune.

Saw STPs in Austin back in 2002 along with corn, it was an amazing show

I am smelling like a rose, that somebody gave me, 'cause I'm dead and bloated......

Very sad. STP was one of my most listened-to bands and played on many a roadtrip while I was in high school and college, and even beyond.

Terrible luck in his new band. Guitarist died one day before the album was released and then Weiland, their lead singer, dies.

Got to see him live when he was with Velvet Revolver and he was high as a kite but put on a hell of a show. Will have to dig up some of the video I took from that show.

I saw STP back in the day, I think it was 93 for their first album tour in Atlanta, it was one of the best shows I'd ever been to. Then I saw them the next year in San Diego in support of their second album, and he was so effed up that he was basically unintelligable. One of the most disappointing shows I'd ever seen.

I think I'm going to use Scott as one of my examples when I talk to my kids about drugs. Such a shame. I bet STP could have been a mega band if not for his addiction.

Reactions: Sc0ttywood
I think I'm going to use Scott as one of my examples when I talk to my kids about drugs. Such a shame. I bet STP could have been a mega band if not for his addiction.

You should only use him as an example after they've been junkies for a few years. Give 'em the ole "River Phoenix" talk when they turn sixteen, instead.

That sucks. I partied with the guy and a few others from Velvet Revolver and opening bands at a fancy hotel bar the night before they were playing a gig in Charlotte about 7-8 years ago. He was wearing sunglasses in a hotel bar at night, flanked by two hot chicks. Although he seemed aloof (or just effed up), I had fun and enjoyed his music. RIP.

I remember their show in 93 I believe at tlccc. Crazy show. Crowd was insane. About halfway thru they were picking up the rows of seats (seats were connected to each other) on the floor and passing them to the front of the stage to make room. Weiland told the crowd they had to stop that or the police were going to stop the show. Then the power to their gear and ended up bringing out couches from backstage and doing an acoustic set until the power was fixed. Still one of the best concerts I have ever been to.

Anyone else at the STP Core show in the Student Union at the Rally Burger? In my fuzzy memory, Scott was quite drunk, as was I.

If I have learned anything, it's that Keith Richard's body should be studied. We are all amateurs to Keith.

Reactions: NY_22_Nole
Did you guys see his candlelight vigil?
XvwLxdY.jpg

Reactions: NY_22_Nole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT