ADVERTISEMENT

I've got to defend Willie...

Warchant User 1757

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I went to the game at ND and was disappointed like everyone else. When I got home I watched the replay and saw something that jumped out at me. Near the beginning of every televised game the network will show pictures of the starting players along with their positions and class.

ND starting offense: 6 seniors, 3 juniors, 2 sophomores
FSU starting defense: 2 seniors, 1 junior, 5 sophomores and 3 freshmen

ND starting defense: 5 seniors, six juniors
FSU starting offense: 4 seniors, 1 junior, 5 sophomores, 1 freshman

In other words of the 22 starters, ND started 19 upperclassmen and FSU started 8 upperclassmen. We started 13 underclassmen, including 4 freshman.

Did the outcome of the game really surprise anyone? We started 8 underclassmen on defense. Did anyone really expect them to go up to ND in 26 degree weather and shut down an experienced ND offense which is coached by one of the best offensive minds in college football? This also explains why our defense is so bad and was steamrolled by N.C. State and Clemson.

Did anyone really expect our offense filled with underclassmen to score at will against an experienced ND defense? Of the 5 upperclassmen starting on offense, 3 are OL and one of them was a DT until last spring because we needed a body on the OL.

Clemson starts 16 upperclassmen, FSU 8
N.C. State starts 16 upperclassmen, FSU 8
Syracuse starts 20 upperclassmen, FSU 8
Miami starts 16 upperclassmen, FSU 8

I don't think you can pin this on Willie. It is not his fault we are so young. That is what he inherited. JImbo knew what he had coming back and he got the hell out of Dodge. We have 2-3 starters who really shouldn't even be on a D1 roster. Not only are they on our roster they are starting because we have no other options.

Do I have some concerns about our coaching? Yes. I think we need to make some staff changes. I think Willie needs to let someone else run the offense. If it is Walt Bell so be it. If Bell is not capable then get someone who is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News