ADVERTISEMENT

James Blackman's FSU Legacy

speedkill3434

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Feb 14, 2011
So hear me out here. I'm not going to pretend like I too have not watching the embarrassing display of football the last few seasons have been. From Jimbo's last year where he mailed it in, to Willie's Gulf Coast Offense experience and everything in between, it's been a nightmare and not the standard of football we expect.

James Blackman who has not necessarily been the best leader by example has been put in some really crappy situations as well. As a true Freshman he showed up with Hockman and expected to be groomed and learn the ropes behind Francois. He enrolled in late May/Early June and Florida State opened up the season against Alabama 9/2/17. When 12 went down he was thrown into the game and essentially opened his career against the National Champions from that season. He went on to try and learn on the fly but naturally it was a process. Of course he practiced all summer and fall and knew the offense but nobody is taking reps as a backup QB with the mentality of a starter, especially week 1 as a true frosh.
The following spring/summer WT/WB came in and he worked and we waited to see what would happen w/ Francois. Francois won back the job and Blackman didn't waiver or complain. He supported Francois despite 12 having a terrible season on and off the field behind a HORRIFIC offensive line. Taggart had every intention of redshirting JB and that was that.
This year again behind a terrible offensive line, his 3rd OL/QB/OC coach in 3 years he had poor year. His antics didn't help him and lost the charm with the fan base and now we're desperate for something new. Now on his 4th OC/OL/QB Coach it will be interesting to see how he adapts back into a more traditional offense. Ironically enough as bad as things have been Blackman is TOP 10 All-Time in Passing TD's at FSU and 600 yards or so away from cracking the Top 10 in Passing Yards.

I'm not apologizing for him and am all for the best guy starting whether it's a transfer, Freshman or JB. I just think he's been dealt about as bad a hand a 3-Star QB project type QB could be handed. Worst Offensive Line era in program history, a disaster of a Head Coach and coaching staff, 4 QB/OC's in 4 Years and having been thrown in the fire against arguably the best defense aside from 2013 FSU this decade.

I say all this to say, i'm going to give him a chance. He may not be great and may get beat out for the job but we could have had Jameis the last 3 years and idk how well he would have done behind this OL and unprepared coaching staff.. Lets see how things play out but I trust this staff will have the team prepared and well coached. We've seen FSU's rock bottom y'all, now it's time to CLIMB! GO NOLES!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News