ADVERTISEMENT

James wilder

Whatever dude, he had some clutch 3rd and 4th down runs thanks to his size and strength. If not for him we may not have a national championship.
That big 4th and 1 run at VT in 2012 where he was initially stopped short and just fought his way for a first down is one of the first plays that I think of. We don't win the ACC and go to Orange Bowl if he's not carrying the ball there IMO.

Oh yeah, and trucking over and carrying the entire Clemson defense on his back that same year was pretty epic as well.

Makin the switch to LB finally

Saw this on his Instagram. I hope that he gets a shot. He is a very good athlete and was a great Nole. I thought one of the most underappreciated guys on our championship team.

it limited action I kind of recall him doing well as rb in a few preseason games....too bad he never got a real shot. like if he was on say Tampa bays team when all those rbs went down maybe he could squeezed in and got a game or two with 15-20 carries. We will never know

He always ran like a LBer to me. Man look at the Linebacker go...this switch could be big for him.

I guess when you grow up idolizing your NFL running back father, you won't listen to every scout, coach, and evaluator that says you are a better LB than RB.

He was a good Nole and I wish him the best. Better late than never I guess?

I always wondered where his Dad was in all this. You would think he could advise his son on what he can do to be successful at the highest level.

J3SYWpW.gif

This is another gif that seems out of place, but funny as hell regardless.

He was a good running back for us. Ran the ball hard and was hard to bring down.

2011 - Freshman year
35 carries for 160 yards at 4.6 ypc 1 TD

2012 - Sophomore
110 carries for 640 yards at 5.8 ypc and 11 TDs
19 receptions for 141 yards at 7.4 average and 2 TDs

2013 - Junior
81 carries for 563 yards at 7 yards per carry and 8 TDs

Reactions: shakane
Whatever dude, he had some clutch 3rd and 4th down runs thanks to his size and strength. If not for him we may not have a national championship.
EDIT - I re-read my post and it did come across as overly harsh, so I apologize for that. My opinion remains (he should've been a LB) but I could have phrased it better.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeonDeion92
Kinda sad that our fans refer to one of our own with such scorn.

He wanted to be a RB, he knew it was a risk but one he found worth taking. That takes guts. Not sure why you're angry at him. With Wilder at RB2 we won a ring, what more did you want from him?

He lives trouble free, has a personal training business, speaks positively, and is ultramotivated. As for kids, I think at the same age Bobby Bowden had close to the same number.
EDIT-I re-read my post and it did come across as overly harsh, so I apologize for that. My opinion remains (he should've been a LB) but I could have phrased it better.

Last edited:
I don't know why he couldn't find a job at rb but wish him the best

That big 4th and 1 run at VT in 2012 where he was initially stopped short and just fought his way for a first down is one of the first plays that I think of. We don't win the ACC and go to Orange Bowl if he's not carrying the ball there IMO.

Oh yeah, and trucking over and carrying the entire Clemson defense on his back that same year was pretty epic as well.
To be fair if we have a different running back in they may have hit the correct a hole and not had to fight for yards that was caused by him not going to where he was supposed to be.

I don't know why he couldn't find a job at rb but wish him the best
Runs too upright. Doesn't have that natural feel for the position with great vision. Has very little lateral agility.

He can be a straight power guy but there are plenty of NFL people that can fit that role. When you get down to 53 players you're going to keep a guy that can do something other than power the ball.

Reactions: Gsl7532
He would have been all American LB. He has the potential to be a Pro-Bowl/All-Pro LB

It's sad that he was so arrogant and stubborn and thought he knew better than all the coaches who told him his future was at LB.

He would have been much better off had he listened and made the switch years ago.

He should have made it a business decision like Cam Erving or Xavier Rhodes making the switch. He'd be making millions, he was an absolute monster in the LB role. Cost himself a lot of money

Reactions: BoNoles
It's sad that he was so arrogant and stubborn and thought he knew better than all the coaches who told him his future was at LB.

He would have been much better off had he listened and made the switch years ago.
Yea, what a terrible guy for chasing his dream, what was he thinking?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, what a terrible guy for chasing his dream, what was he thinking?!?!
No one said he was a terrible guy. However, refusing to accept the reality of his abilities translation to the NFL was a dumb decision.

Reactions: BoNoles
He should have made it a business decision like Cam Erving or Xavier Rhodes making the switch. He'd be making millions, he was an absolute monster in the LB role. Cost himself a lot of money
Exactly, that's what I meant. It had nothing to do with what he did at FSU, I honestly felt it was sad for him (he could've done much better).

But upon further review the way I stated it initially did come across as unnecessarily harsh.

Completely unnecessary. Having a wrong opinion does not make someone arrogant and stubborn, just look in the mirror.

He was a good running back for us. Ran the ball hard and was hard to bring down.

2011 - Freshman year
35 carries for 160 yards at 4.6 ypc 1 TD

2012 - Sophomore
110 carries for 640 yards at 5.8 ypc and 11 TDs
19 receptions for 141 yards at 7.4 average and 2 TDs

2013 - Junior
81 carries for 563 yards at 7 yards per carry and 8 TDs

Yes he was. Guess many missed those seasons and his success. Averaging 7 yards a carry is phenomenal for a guy that allegedly isn't a good running back? :eek:

Completely unnecessary. Having a wrong opinion does not make someone arrogant and stubborn, just look in the mirror.
@robbythecat

Read the progression of the thread.

When I viewed this thread the next day, I read my original post and realized it was unnecessarily harsh.

I will battle the whole board yelling at me if I think I'm right. But I realized I was over the top in my initial post and and I apologized.

My opinion stands (he should've moved to LB) but I went overboard in my remarks.

I was going to edit my post but it was already copied several times so I just said my bad later in the thread

I guess when you grow up idolizing your NFL running back father, you won't listen to every scout, coach, and evaluator that says you are a better LB than RB.

He was a good Nole and I wish him the best. Better late than never I guess?

Not only that, but he wanted to play running back. Sometimes kids do what they love to do, and not what they are told to do. Can't blame him for that. Now that he has to make money, he is doing what he has to do to survive in the league.

I have no doubt he will succeed. This is a great move that should have been made sooner but I've learned not to question the past because everything happens for a reason. He is still young and with his size strength athlecticism along with his work ethic I certainly wouldn't bet against him. Go attack some running backs James.

No offense, but Los was quite the RB his rookie year. Now he cant stay fit or clean. He doesn't need to move positions, he needs to get better friends

He broke an NFL record for consecutive games with a TD to start an NFL career. He just needs to stop smoking blunts and eating little Debbie.

If I remember correctly our coaching staff was one of the few that offered him at RB. Obviously Jimbo saw enough there to let him stay at the position. If he didn't think it was best for the team he probably would have moved him any way and then Wilder would've had the option to transfer. I will admit he wasn't the best RB to ever play for us but he played a lot of critical football for us and was a major contributor in 12/13. Hopefully he finds success at his more natural position.

No one said he was a terrible guy. However, refusing to accept the reality of his abilities translation to the NFL was a dumb decision.
Oh so he was "dumb" for chasing his dream, gotcha. Hope that's not a lesson you teach your kids...

Oh so he was "dumb" for chasing his dream, gotcha. Hope that's not a lesson you teach your kids...
yes once it's obvious you're dream won't happen then it's dumb to keep up with the pursuit. If my dream was to be an NBA center and I stop growing at 6'1 it's dumb to keep up the pursuit.

He didn't say he was dumb, he said it was a dumb decision. We all make dumb decisions.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I watchex him play linebacker in high school a few times. He looked considerably better at runningback. He just wasn't instinctive on defense.

I watchex him play linebacker in high school a few times. He looked considerably better at runningback. He just wasn't instinctive on defense.

This is the first post of this kind, it's fair because it is first hand

What I would LOVE to know, is , if this is still a legal gift for Mr. Wilder. I've been waiting for like 3 years now
image_29421_original_X_450_white.jpg

They just rushed off the end most of the time.

Stating it was a dumb decision for Wilder to play Rb at FSU is truly open for debate considering how much he meant to FSU in 2013. The fact that he was drafted as rb in the NFL for 3 years shows that the NFL also drafted the 5 star rb for Rivals for that purpose.

https://floridastate.rivals.com/commitments/football/2011

The fact that he wishes to now try to remain in the NFL by playing LB is also another good decision. A dumb decision would be one like Tim Tebow refusing to go to another position who is now out of the NFL for good. IMO

Wilder was an excellent leader that was a valued contributor to FSU's 14-0 NC season. Suggesting that he shouldn't have been a rb for FSU seems very silly and nonsensical. JMO

Suggesting that he would have been a greater LB at FSU is pure speculation based on the facts so far. Now if he turns in a All Pro LB then the experts on the board can make their case of him making a mistake. Hope he does because I wish the best for James.

He didn't say he was dumb, he said it was a dumb decision. We all make dumb decisions.
You called him arrogant and stubborn for not listening to the coaches. I get where you're coming from but I think it's messed up to judge players. His dad was a running back in the NFL. Why is it hard to understand that he wanted to do the same?

We've had great success with players changing position and I love that our coaches can see that in players and they pull the switch. But I would never bash a player for chasing his dream. Calling a Nole arrogant and stubborn is doing just that. I don't agree with that, that's all

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT