ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Football Wilson

jhnoles6602

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 21, 2018
I haven’t given up on JW quite yet. One his size alone forces DC to always make sure he is accounted for which is why he gets bracketed by secondary, man cover 2, ect. Let’s start with positives he brings. Run blocker on the outside is a huge reason big why a lot of runs break on the outside for 20+ yds and it’s usually attributed to JW as he manhandles undersized DBs. He does a great blocking LBs also.

JW POSITIVES ( outside of blocking )

I watched a few of last yr games and the two this yr. The common theme so far is HANDS! That’s easy to fix with proper drill work, reps and most of all build confidence. JW is his best and most reliable/consistent. I’ve seen many of Wrs who always catches the deep routes and struggle with short game. The way QBs throw the deep ball and how WR have to catch them really hides average hands. On these throws the ball lands in the hands with little to no velocity. They can use their body as a (safety net ), which gives them a lil more confidence and taking hands “out” helps them make these big plays. WR making these BIG yardage and/or BIG TD catches usually helps fans / coaches to develop a little amnesia.

JW Achilles Heel
Now for his arch nemesis the short game. I noticed he seems to cheat peek way to often. Idk if he is trying to see where to go before the catch. There are some WRs are worried about getting hit ( don’t believe JW is worried. I think it’s him trying to make a move before he catches is/will cause any wr to have drops. or I noticed he does this all to often. A lot of times this happens to WR. Alot of WR are scared about getting hit ( Don’t think this is why) or WR trying to make a big play before they catch it and this is detrimental to consistency.

Next, short game balls require you to have soft hands amd you don’t have the safety net with these. You have to have hands like a bakers mitt. In order to be dominant with throws you HAVE to learn how to give the the ball as you’re catching it. Guys with soft hands is like a baseball hitting a net. Hard hands is like throwing a ball against a wall. You can watch the film and when gets a ball in the short game you see hit and bounce away from him. If he has soft hands it will straight down.

Lastly, WR, RB, QB to have confidence! This is the BIGGEST must have. At any time he can/will gain the confidence again! It’s just like baseball when you have a guy in a slump they keep believing all of a sudden this guy hits an HR or triple whatever and next thing that happens he is the go to guy! Let’s go JW!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News