ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Sweat- a look at his HS film + FSU film

NebNoles

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jan 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
I have Josh Sweat's Jr year HS film, his Fr year at FSU (2015), & his last game, the OB vs Michigan posted below. I found him to be remarkably similar in all aspects of his game from 4 years ago. I don't mean that as a knock, I simply mean his style is his style. He plays DE much like a LB at times, engaging the Tackle, reading the play, & then shucking the Tackle to pursue. This happens on pass plays & run plays, with the occasional "pin the ears back" pass rush. Many highlights from HS include him chasing a play down from behind, much like we see from him at FSU.

Clearly his knee injury hampered his progression, which I feel explains only having 2 sacks as a rookie; he was a hair slower than he needed to be to finish plays. Additionally, naturally, the Tackles he plays against in college are much better than HS, & without his health, he his athleticism against those guys wasn't nearly as pronounced as in HS. That's why we see backside pursuits, several time resulting in fumble recoveries, instead of plays made by him. I think his knee injury last year worried him, causing him to play slow (for him) again. Finally, however, we saw him finish plays - and the season - strong once he was healthy & trusted his health.

He's always been a good run defender, at FSU & before. A lot of his pass rushing was a result of prolonged plays; he's not necessarily a Brian Burns, natural pass rusher. He didn't show that in HS & I don't think we necessarily see it this year. However, with Lawing, his health, & his versatility, I think he could still crack that 10 sack mark.

Check out the highlights below.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News