ADVERTISEMENT

Keep an eye on Inv 97L (Now Hurricane Matthew)

I see Free's old house location. Be safe man.

Experimental storm surge inundation map for the Space Coast (red = greater than 9 feet)
CuG4s7JXEAASacK.jpg:large

A friend of mine transferred from our Philly office to Miami this year. I emailed him to make sure he had the essentials: booze, beer, chips, ice and Vienne sausages.

South Florida Life Tip
spincycle002.jpg

#LocalCred

So I'm looking at the trajectory of Matthew and as you all know, they have it hugging the coast all the way up through North Carolina.

But I'm looking at it and not sure why they think that will happen. I have a feeling it rips through Jax and stays west of the Carolinas and east of ATL.

Or maybe it's the hard hook back east that is throwing me off.

Take a look and think about it.

So I'm looking at the trajectory of Matthew and as you all know, they have it hugging the coast all the way up through North Carolina.

But I'm looking at it and not sure why they think that will happen. I have a feeling it rips through Jax and stays west of the Carolinas and east of ATL.

Or maybe it's the hard hook back east that is throwing me off.

Take a look and think about it.

My family just left Hilton Head (I am in Denver and will link up later). Last update at 2 EST was 100 miles off HHI and 3-5 storm surge on Saturday night/Sunday Morning. Currently my biggest worry is storm surge.

Reactions: DanC78
But but but....I wanna see football....most won't have power, roads crazy with returning evacuees, many of those roads underwater and damaged or blocked by debris- is everyone on this board under 30 and cannot recall Andrew, Floyd, Charley, and maybe even Dora as a kid?

Cat 4 = BAD!!
What category was Dora?

Oh yeah... definitely the best time for a fact finding mission there, Rick.
He has been pretty hands on with this storm and I don't fault him at all. He received a letter from LA Senator David Vitter about the UF game. It only makes sense that he would inquire about our game as well.

Reactions: goldmom
So did I - was also a kid. No power, Mom cooked outside on our Coleman camp stove for a week. The beach was a mess and oceanfront businesses were wiped out. Oceanfront houses pushed back a block or two.
The ocean and the intracoastal met and covered A1A where Sawgrass now sits.

I just put my hurricane shutters on my house in Port Orange (right by Daytona) and then bugged out to my mom's house 15 miles in land. Be safe Nole brothers and sisters.

Oh yeah... definitely the best time for a fact finding mission there, Rick.

Yea in fairness the guy has a few other more important things to worry about; not to mention I would hope that university presidents are smart enough to make an educated decision. Honestly it would not be a surprise that the decision is made by the ACC or they at least have some input.

landscape-1475787142-usa.jpg

Three American ships just left port: the first on Tuesday, another yesterday, a third today. That port is Norfolk, Virginia, and at the time they started prepping for an immediate no-notice deployment, Norfolk, itself, was in the potential cross-hairs of Hurricane Matthew.

These American ships are heading toward (and, if need be, through) a Category 4 Hurricane. They have set a course for Haiti, where they will save human lives.

Reactions: Bartdog
Yea in fairness the guy has a few other more important things to worry about; not to mention I would hope that university presidents are smart enough to make an educated decision. Honestly it would not be a surprise that the decision is made by the ACC or they at least have some input.
True, but he has been getting asked the question in his briefings at the EOC by members of the media. It is a public safety issue considering the resources that would be diverted from actual hurricane response.

Yep, winds at my brothers house (north of Orlando) were being projected in the 70's for several hours this AM. Now in the 30's. That shift has been huge for a big portion of FL.

I'm on my I pad but my power is still on for now. Jax is now getting hit pretty hard. My bathroom fan vent is leaking like a sieve.

The update I got about 30 minutes ago shows over 800K customers without power statewide. Volusia has over 218K without power, accounting for 78% of the customers in the county.

Someone showed the storm surge on Jax Beach. Looks like a lot of flooding several rows back from the beach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT