ADVERTISEMENT

LB Recruiting.....

Fishbits

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
Before Tavion Wallace made his decision yesterday there is this feeling that FSU under this staff can't recruit the position. One coach who continues to take most of the blame is Randy Shannon. While he is the easy target, I am going to come from a different angle. LB recruiting at FSU has not been good for over a decade now. After Bobby Bowden stepped down, FSU who’s had a great history at linebacker (Marvin Jones, Sam Cowart, Derrick Brooks) to name a few have really struggled recruiting this position. They have had years where they recruited big name kids who were highly ranked (Jeff Luc) who just never panned out. My question is WHY....LETS TAKE A LOOK!!!!!!!

Jimbo Fisher-HCIW/HC

Vince Williams-ILB -6'1-210-(NFL)
Nigel Bradham-OLB-6'2-230 (NFL)
Nigel Carr-ILB-6'3-230 (Bust)

Comments: When this class was signed most felt it was one of the best linebacker’s corps in the country. Bradham was a five star or close to it. Never thought he lived up to his potential. Carr was a complete bust and Vince was the ultimate overachiever.

O Linebackers signed

Comments: Unacceptable. You can never not sign a player at any position IMHO. Maybe QB if your roster is loaded. I am huge on roster management and this can't happen. EVER....I think you need at least 1-2 linebackers in every class.

Christian Jones-OLB-6'4-240 (4)
Jeff Luc-ILB-6'0-250 (4)
Nigel Terrell-OLB-6'2-215 (BUST)
Telvin Smith-OLB-6'3-200
Holmes Onuwkaife-ILB-6'3-230 (BUST)

Comments: I met Jones at Lake Howell as a freshman. No one knew who the kid was. I remember sending Bob Lacavita his profile and said this kid’s dad played at FSU. You may want to check him out. He was very impressive. He finally found his spot his final year in Pruitt defense and excelled. Luc, was very close to him. He was a big time talent and a huge get. Kid was responsible for pulling a lot of the other big name kids in this class. Never really panned out and went to Cincinnati and started. Telvin may be the best LB FSU has had in the past 20 years. He was great. Holmes was a great kid but never played a down. Nigel Terrell was a bad evaluation.

James Wilder-OLB-6'2-220 (4) Moved to RB
Terrance Smith-OLB-6'4-220 (3) (BACK UP)
Arrington Jenkins-OLB-6'2-215 (3) (BUST)

Comments: What could have been. Wilder was a good RB...He would have been a great linebacker IMHO. Terrance Smith was a guy....Jenkins was a GUY....A very BAD GUY. This was a poor take from day 1.

Chris Casher-OLB-6'5-240 (4) Moved to end
Ukeme Eligwe-OLB-6'3-225 (4)
Reggie Northrop-OLB-6'2-210 (4)

Comments: Remember seeing Eligwe at the FSU Camp. One of the most impressive looking human beings you will ever see. I would have sworn this kid would have been a star. He busted...Casher moved to DE and busted....Northrop was a solid player.

Matthew Thomas-OLB-6'4-210 (5)
Freddie Stevenson-OLB-6'1-220 (4) Moved to FB
EJ Levenberry-ILB-6'3-230 (4)
Tyrell Lyons-OLB-6'2-220 (3)
Roderick Hoskins-OLB-6'3-215 (3)

Comments: Matthew Thomas was one of the biggest GETS in FSU history. He chose FSU on NSD. He flashed against Michigan but never reached his five star potential. Stevenson moved to FB. Levenberry busted and left. Lyons and Hoskins never panned out.

Jacob Pugh-OLB-6'4-220 (4) (BUST)
Delvin Purifoy-ILB-6'2-230 (4) (BUST)
Kain Daub-ILB-6'2-230 (4) (BUST)

Comments: Daub was a kid I spotted at Nease HS as a sophomore. He looked like a future star at that point. Two years later the kid ate himself out of being a LB. He never panned out. Purifoy looked like a stud in HS...Never panned out. Pugh also was very good in HS...Never panned out. 3 Guys and none made an impact.

Sh'mark Kilby Lane-OLB-6'2-210 (4) (BUST)
Lorenzo Phillips-OLB-6'3-230 (4) juco

Comments: Never understood the Lane take. He went to Hallandale which is ten minutes from my house. I thought he was at best a FIU/FAU type player. Phillips was a bust.

Josh Brown-OLB-6'2-210 (4) (BUST)
Dontavious Jackson-ILB-6'2-240 (4) Took him instead of Devin Bush JR
Emmett Rice-OLB-6'3-200 (3) (BUST)
Keion Joyner-OLB-6'3-200 (3) (BUST)

Comments: Brown was highly rated...never could develop. Jackson was taken over a legacy kid Jackson. Thanks Tim Brewster. Bush ended up a stud. Rice got thrown off Miami Norland football team...Let me say that again he got thrown off Miami Norland football team. That may be harder to do then win the lottery. I was never a fan of his take. Joyner never made it into school.

2017/2018
Leonard Warner-OLB-6'3-230 (4)
Xavier Peters-OLB-6'4-225 (4) Transfer to Cincinnati
Comments: Two linebackers in two years after the 2016 class that busted out. This is how you end up having the Taggart era. You don't come back from poor roster management. Over sign one year and miss the next two. That is a NO/NO in recruiting.

Kalen Deloach -OLB-6'0-210 (4)
Jaleel McRae-OLB-6'230 (3) (Medical Hardship)
Kevon Glenn-ILB-6'1-220 (3) (BUST)

Comments; McRae....Maybe Jerry can tell us more but this kid came in and had what looked to be a great spring game. He was never heard from again. Deloach panned out big time. Glenn was a bust.

Stephen Dix-OLB-6'2-210 (3) -Transfer
Jayion McCluster-ILB-6'1-210 (3) Transfer
DJ Lundy-ILB-6'1-245 (3) Starter in 2024

Cornell Jones-ILB-6'2-225 (2) Transfer from Purdue - Never played

Comments: Dix was a great kid...Wrong LB in this era. He could have played back in the 90's as a MLB. McCluster never got bigger. He was very good as a sophomore in HS and his development stalled. Lundy is starting this year.

Patrick Payton-LB-6'5-200 (Moved to DE)
Georgia Wilson-LB-6'5-215 (Transfer)
Jordan Eubanks-LB-6'2-200 (Transfer)

Cortez Andrew-LB-6'0-220 (Transfer from Maryland)

Comments: Payton moved to DE. Wilson is gone as is Eubanks....This class was not on Randy as I believe Marve was the LB Coach.

Omar Graham-LB-6'1-220 (On roster)
Tatum Bethune-LB-6'0-215 (Transfer from UCF) (two year starter)

Blake Nichelson-LB-6'3-200 (Converted RB)
Demarco Ward-LB-6'2-205
Dylan Brown Turner-LB-6'1-200 (Transferred out)

Justin Cryer-LB-6'1-230

Jayden Parrish-LB-6'1-210
Timir Hickman-LB-6'1-220
Shawn Murphy-LB-6'2-225 (Transfer from Alabama)
Cam Riley-LB-6'5-240 (Transfer from AU)

Final Thoughts: I am not trying to sugar coat FSU lack of success at LB the past few years. I am not trying to make excuses. For some reason though whether it was bad luck, poor evaluations or just plain misses FSU LB recruiting has been bad for a very long time. Just look at who is on this list. Many of the names FSU fans and probably people who covered the team can't remember or forget about over time.

I will say this....Yesterday was the first true shocker in recruiting this cycle for FSU. Wallace was a Seminole. I also think he will flip back to FSU as Arkansas head coach Sam Pittman is going to get fired this year. It sucks you have to hope for some coach to lose their job for FSU to land a recruit but sometimes a little of luck comes back....and as we can see FSU needs it at linebacker. My biggest issue is when certain websites give FSU fans hope about certain kids and then want to rip the coaches for it afterwards. NIX WAS NEVER COMING. Some will say why bring him on a visit. WHY, BECAUSE if he transfers maybe the second time around it becomes a business decision and he sees FSU success with transfers and decides to come here. Sale was a long shot. While FSU recruiting has not been great the past couple of years...I am going to hold on on judging this position till NSD. I feel Wallace will still end up in the class. Quote me on it...DONT CARE. I think FSU has a very good shot at flipping Alford. They have a former player helping them with his recruitment. I feel they can land Ty Jackson who is very good if they go all in. There is no doubt that FSU needs to improve the LB room BUT....I do like Nichelson, I think Jayden Parrish will be a starter down the road. FSU needs to continue to build the depth and talent level back....Let’s see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News