ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s say Willie is able to find an elite DC

Shade Tree 55

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2010
Tampa
What usually happens to elite coordinators? They become head coaches. Who here believes Willie is capable of constantly replacing elite coordinators with other elite coordinators? Dabo has been extremely fortunate to have Venables hang around as long as he has. Now unfortunately for us, while Dabo isn’t an elite x’s and o’s guy, he’s also not dumb like we originally hoped and I’m sure he will navigate the turnover successfully when it eventually happens.

You don’t have to be an elite scheme guy as a head coach, but you do have to have some ability to organize and have beliefs about the way you go about playing on the field. I’m really unconvinced that Willie has any of that. I think it’s just harder to be the CEO type in 2019 than it was in 1997 given how much more coaching turnover there is now.

I’ll be thrilled if we land Leavitt and the defense gets turned around, but I don’t think it’ll make me feel any better about the 5-6 year path FSU is on. There’s just nothing from a cultural, organizational, or recruiting level that leads me to believe he’s is going to be successful here long term.

Maybe we play at Virginia and McCrae is starting over Jackson, Samuels is yanked off the field for celebrating an overthrow by the UVA QB that would’ve gone for a 30 yard completion, someone on our defense looks pissed that they made a stupid mistake, and our team doesn’t dance before every kickoff as if anyone on the team has ever accomplished anything whatsoever at the college level. But until that’s the case I think replacing the DC is still missing the big picture.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News