ADVERTISEMENT

Golf Luke Clanton's impressive summer continues, FSU junior takes fifth at Wyndham Championship

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Florida State junior All-American Luke Clanton earned his third top-10 PGA Tour finish of the summer of 2024 as he finished in fifth place in the Wyndham Championship at the Sedgefield Country Club. He totaled scores of 67-68-62-69 for a four-round total of 266 (-14). His 5th place finish marked his third top-10 PGA Tour finish of the season with a T2 finish at the John Deere Classic and a T10 finish at the PGA Rocket Mortgage Classic.

Clanton is the first player since Jack Nicklaus in 1961 to record three top-10 finishes in the same season as an amateur on the PGA Tour.

Making Clanton’s finish most incredible was the fact that he played 39 holes on the final day of competition (Sunday) – three holes to complete his second round, 18 holes to complete his third round, and 18 more holes to play his final round – after much of the first two days of the championship were moved because of the remnants of Hurricane Debby in the Greensboro area.

“It’s awesome being out here,” Clanton told a national audience on CBS following his final round. “To understand that I’m out here playing on the PGA Tour, and playing against the best players in the world, is pretty sweet. I played really well this week; I couldn’t make a few putts coming down the stretch. But again, I think it’s that confidence builder for me knowing that I can compete out here. It’s awesome.”

Clanton stood 13 under through his first three rounds (and 54 holes), trailing Matt Kuchar by one stroke while Kuchar had six holes remaining in his third round.

Clanton fired an 8-under 62 in his third round and was tied for the lead at 13 under when he headed back out for his final 18 holes.

Clanton has made five cuts in six PGA Tour starts this summer and has remained steadfast in his desire to return to Florida State to help the Seminoles chase an NCAA Championship. Clanton shot his 8-under 62, his third round of 63 or better, the most of any player on the PGA Tour since he made his debut at the U.S. Open in June. Clanton’s score of 62 ranks as his lowest single-round score of his summer in a PGA Tour event.

“Winning out here (on the PGA Tour) is really hard,” said Clanton. “You’ve got to be near-perfect. I think the biggest thing for me is just learning, understanding more and more. I’m 20-years old and I still am an amateur. I’m still learning every single day I step out here. Today was a big learning experience – 39 holes in one day, a 4:50 wake-up – that’s definitely a first for me. If I keep learning week-by-week, and hopefully keep connecting the dots, it might come soon.”

Clanton had a share of the lead as he played the 11th hole, his second hole of his final round, when Kuchar made bogey at 14 in his third round.

Following his play at the Wyndham, Clanton – the No. 3 ranked amateur in the World Amateur Golf Rankings – boarded a plane and flew to play at the 124th U.S. Amateur Championship at the Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaska, Minnesota. With a 3:09 (ET) tee time on Monday, his will play in a dynamic trio that includes the No. 1 (Gordon Sargent), No. 2 (Jackson Koivun), and No. 3 (Clanton) ranked amateur players in the world.

“I’m pretty excited to go to the U.S. Am,” said Clanton. “It’s one of my most favorite events of the year. Hopefully I’ll go out there and compete.”

Clanton will be joined by five of his current Seminole teammates at the U.S. Am – Gray Albright, Jack Bigham, Andrew McLauchlan, Michael Mayes, and Tyler Weaver.

By making the cut at the Wyndham and finishing in the top-10, Clanton has now earned 13 PGA Tour University points. Collegiate players who earn 20 PGA Tour University points can take up PGA Tour membership at the conclusion of their next academic year. Clanton begins his junior season at Florida State on August 26.

Clanton's Summer Results/Upcoming Schedule

June 13-16: US Open (T41, 76-69-69-74=288; 2nd Lowest Amateur; One of two amateurs in the top 50)
June 27-30: PGA Tour Rocket Mortgage Classic (T10, 69-68-75-72=274; Low Amateur; Only Amateur in the top 40)
July 4-7: PGA Tour John Deere Classic (T2, 63-67-67-63=260; Low Amateur)
July 11-14: PGA Tour ISCO Championship (T37, 70-65-69-71=275; Low Amateur)
July 25-28: PGA Tour 3M Open (71-72=143; MC)
August 8-11: PGA Tour Wyndham Championship (5, 68-67-62-69=266; Low Amateur)
August 12-18: US Amateur (Hazeltine National Colf Club, Chaska, Minn.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.