ADVERTISEMENT

Mattress

DanC78

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 29, 2003
I just posted this as one of the items that is painful for me to buy and now I'm in a situation where we need a new one.

Any suggestions?

Seems like everything online (mainly Amazon) is all memory foam. Not sure how I feel about memory foam.

I want to keep my budget in the $1000 range. Needing a king size.

Thoughts, suggestions, jokes, and condescending remarks are all welcomed. :)

it is a must if you are shopping with the wife to tell the salesman in the mattress store that you are looking for a new "workbench"

Reactions: DanC78
1. foam is OK, but you can buy a mattress topper that is foam from sams or walmart for 2-300 bucks. we had one and we hated it. it absorbs your body heat and doesn't dissipate it. its also makes the mattress less firm, which makes it more effort to turn.

2. the higher end mattresses you are mostly paying for cushioning on top, this can double the price. you can get the same thing by adding a separate pillow top. westin hotels does this. its a lot cheaper that way. also, if you ever get a spill or something, you ruin a $1-200 topper which is above a $1000 mattress, rather than a $2000 mattress.

Got got a 3" foam mattress topper from Costco to get a few more years out of our current mattress. It's made our bed very comfortable, doesn't hold any heat or take any more effort to move around. It is a pretty firm foam topper, love it. We'll probably opt to do the same when we get a new mattress.

We'll be bed shopping soon as well. So far, it is not fun at all. Haven't been able to find a reliable option that is also decently priced.

When it comes to mattresses, I always recommend buying pre-owned.

Not sure the seriousness of this or not, but to be honest, I'm not opposed. Just like mentioned above, you can buy a topper and disinfect etc. And it's not like we have problems sleeping on hotel beds, which could be the most disgusting thing ever when you think about it.

So, if the situation were right, I would consider buying used. Probably not going to happen, but I'm not opposed.

People have very different requirements for a mattress. We are not fans of the temperpedic. Got a nice sealy with pillow top.

I just posted this as one of the items that is painful for me to buy and now I'm in a situation where we need a new one.

Any suggestions?

Seems like everything online (mainly Amazon) is all memory foam. Not sure how I feel about memory foam.

I want to keep my budget in the $1000 range. Needing a king size.

Thoughts, suggestions, jokes, and condescending remarks are all welcomed. :)
We went through this a year ago when we moved. We bought a foam mattress but it is NOT memory foam. They are not easy to find but it is the best mattress we have ever owned. Cool, comfortable as can be, great support without being a brick. Let me know if you want more info. And yes, it is in your price range for the same size (ours was anyway).

We went through this a year ago when we moved. We bought a foam mattress but it is NOT memory foam. They are not easy to find but it is the best mattress we have ever owned. Cool, comfortable as can be, great support without being a brick. Let me know if you want more info. And yes, it is in your price range for the same size (ours was anyway).

Yeah for sure...what was the brand and where did you purchase.

My dad and his wife just bought a mattress from Tuft & Needle and they LOVE it. He raves about the damn thing constantly.

I think we have a winner....what a great website!

I appreciate it...tell your folks they just help sell another mattress for them!

People have very different requirements for a mattress. We are not fans of the temperpedic. Got a nice sealy with pillow top.
This set up has worked great for me.

We just moved our old memory foam 3in topper to the guest room and got a new "cool gel" one. It's definitely noticeable that it cools off faster or holds less heat than the previous one.

Fox Mattress in Ormond Beach, FL is pretty cool because they actually make the mattresses there with good quality parts and cut out the middle man, so essentially you end up with a $2000ish mattress for $1200 or so, or in some cases you may even get the quality of a comparable $5,000 mattress for $2000 or so, there is a lot of stupid markup in the mattress industry. The mattresses are really heavy and built to last. The only thing I don't like about mine is it's so damn heavy to rotate it you almost need more than 2 people. I ended up getting one of their middle to higher end kings for like $1200 or so and a year later I'm still convinced it's of the same quality as a $2000+ from one of the big manufacturers... Not sure how far you are from Ormond Beach though.

Fox Mattress in Ormond Beach, FL is pretty cool because they actually make the mattresses there with good quality parts and cut out the middle man, so essentially you end up with a $2000ish mattress for $1200 or so, or in some cases you may even get the quality of a comparable $5,000 mattress for $2000 or so, there is a lot of stupid markup in the mattress industry. The mattresses are really heavy and built to last. The only thing I don't like about mine is it's so damn heavy to rotate it you almost need more than 2 people. I ended up getting one of their middle to higher end kings for like $1200 or so and a year later I'm still convinced it's of the same quality as a $2000+ from one of the big manufacturers... Not sure how far you are from Ormond Beach though.

Sorry for the late response Dan. Fox mattress is where we got ours. Great people to work with and a great mattress.

As for rotating it, my wife and I had no problem. However we have a large MB so the extra space to work probably helps.

I've heard good things about Casper mattresses. Order online and they are delivered straight to your house, 100 day trial, and if you are not satisfied they pick up the mattress by courier.

My brother bought a Casper mattress. Seems to like it. It's right in your price range and it's a combo of memory foam and latex.
I have a beauty rest black series. wss expensive. I think I overpaid. But it's comfortable.

Any update from those of you that purchased the Tuft and Needle recently? I'm leaning towards getting one.

came in today.

So far the process has been outstanding and mattress feels great. I'll have to give it a few weeks, but I'm feeling great about my decision so far.

and for what it's worth. The founder (so it said) sent me an email saying thanks. I responded with my story on why I purchased. He responded back saying thanks and made small talk. Thought it was top notch they did that.

I'm liking....let's just hope it sleeps well.

came in today.

So far the process has been outstanding and mattress feels great. I'll have to give it a few weeks, but I'm feeling great about my decision so far.

and for what it's worth. The founder (so it said) sent me an email saying thanks. I responded with my story on why I purchased. He responded back saying thanks and made small talk. Thought it was top notch they did that.

Great feedback. This thread has me looking at mattresses and I'm most interested in the Tuft & Needle. Is it firm? I must have a firm mattress.

came in today.

Considering this as well. Thanks for the update.

Great feedback. This thread has me looking at mattresses and I'm most interested in the Tuft & Needle. Is it firm? I must have a firm mattress.

yes...it is firm, but not too firm, but not to soft. It's hard to explain. But I do feel as if it's the perfect bowl of porridge so to speak.
They also have a no questions asked 100 day return policy.

yes...it is firm, but not too firm, but not to soft. It's hard to explain. But I do feel as if it's the perfect bowl of porridge so to speak.
They also have a no questions asked 100 day return policy.

Dan, can you keep us posted over the next 2-3 weeks as to how it is once its all set to it's shape and you've had enough time sleeping on it? How is it as far as support on your back and body as you are lying down? Also, what about with your wife on the bed with you... does is collapse (taco) into the middle to where you both kind of dip into the middle together?

Thanks!

Dan, can you keep us posted over the next 2-3 weeks as to how it is once its all set to it's shape and you've had enough time sleeping on it? How is it as far as support on your back and body as you are lying down? Also, what about with your wife on the bed with you... does is collapse (taco) into the middle to where you both kind of dip into the middle together?

Thanks!

Great back support. The firmness rating is 7-10. Feels firm when you lay on it, but still very soft and plush at the same time. I'm 180 lbs, it supports my body from sinking down, but it's still very soft for when I'm sleeping on my side. I didn't find my self feeling hot in the middle of the night either. And this did happen regularly with my last matters. There is no tacoing going on when my wife is in bed with me (there is a joke in there somewhere). She 120 lbs and it' s a king size...so I wasn't expecting that to be an issue.

Do a couple youtube searches. Lots of great reviews out there. They had a promotion going on where you would receive $50 if you posted about your experience. I believe if you bought a mattress and mentioned that you watched one of the youtube videos you would also get $50. I believe that's how it worked...pretty smart marketing if so.

I just went ahead and pulled the trigger after another night of uncomfortable sleep. With this lower back disc herniation I've got now, I'm hoping this new mattress can help sleeping a little more comfortable.

I purchased throight T&N to get the 100 night trial but it won't get here later as opposed to Amazon Prime - well worth the wait since Prime only has a 30 night trial.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT