ADVERTISEMENT

Memorial Day

Greeting Us Army GIF by GoArmy

To the families who remain behind; we owe a debt we can never repay.

We watched a few episodes of Band of Brothers and it never fails to impress.
80 years ago. 🫤
If you have been you already know this but if you're in Europe take a trip to a WWI or WW2 cemetery. Normandy is obviously the most famous but there are hundreds dotted around France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg. I try to visit one each time I'm there. Always a very moving experience.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God such men lived.”- George S. Patton

Reactions: F4Gary and goldmom
We watched a few episodes of Band of Brothers and it never fails to impress.
80 years ago. 🫤
We did as well and I can't think of a better Memorial Day remembrance. What the 101st went through at Bastogne was the stuff of legends, but the next battle made you cringe it was so brutal. God Bless them all.

If you have been you already know this but if you're in Europe take a trip to a WWI or WW2 cemetery. Normandy is obviously the most famous but there are hundreds dotted around France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg. I try to visit one each time I'm there. Always a very moving experience.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God such men lived.”- George S. Patton
If you really want to get an insight, visit the German cemeteries in the same area off Normandy (not far from Mont St Michel.) Where the American cemeteries are solemn, but uplifting, the German ones are dark and brooding. Lots of black granite versus white marble.

Last edited:
Reactions: billanole
If you really want to get an insight, visit the German cemeteries in the same area off Normandy (not far from Mont St Michel.) Where the American cemeteries are volume, but uplifting, the German ones are dark and brooding. Lots of black granite versus white marble.
I went to one near there (La Cambe I think) as well as one in Luxembourg. They are very different than the Allied cemeteries.

Reactions: seminole72

I can second that. An important visit for anyone who can make it there. We’ve also visited Dachau down near Munich. A stark reminder of why the whole thing was necessary.

If you really want to get an insight, visit the German cemeteries in the same area off Normandy (not far from Mont St Michel.) Where the American cemeteries are solemn, but uplifting, the German ones are dark and brooding. Lots of black granite versus white marble.
Wow. Never would have realized that… interesting insight.

Reactions: goldmom
If I could, I'd go back to my 25-27 year old self and slap me for not visiting these sites when I was stationed in Holland for 2 years. Young and dumb.
Life has those moments that sometimes pass by unrealized at the time. I fess up to missing time with family that can never be recreated.
One has to reach for the ring as the merry-go-round spins.

Last edited:
If I could, I'd go back to my 25-27 year old self and slap me for not visiting these sites when I was stationed in Holland for 2 years. Young and dumb.
When I was in Spain in the 80's we took a MWR bus trip to France and an older guy got me to go on this early morning trip to Normandy and the beaches. I would have rather slept off a hangover that morning, but I went and complained. Now I'm glad I went and make it a point to visit these type places when I'm near one.

How I would love to go back and change a few of my less than stellar decisions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT