ADVERTISEMENT

Miami, Cristobal, Purinton, etc.

northvanole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
May 2, 2003
Needless to say, the removal of Blake James as Miami AD got rid of a major impediment if the Canes want Cristobal as HC (as Cristobal hated James). But the current rumor is that Miami wants to hire a new AD in just a few weeks. Purinton is listed as a possible choice, but so is Jurich and others. Both names are going to be on a lot of lists for any AD opening, so I wouldn't read into that there is any real meat on that bone. And I don't think either one has experience being an AD at a private university....not a small issue for UM. But the school is going to allow the new AD to decide whether to retain Diaz or not. Blake James hired Diaz, but some very powerful trustees support Manny (and blame Blake James for not fully supporting him).

So, like any mismanaged organization, there will be a lot of "influential" people trying to get their voices heard. (One of whom is the former CEO of the Firm I worked at. Small world.). Cristobal is a loyal Cane, but he knows that Phil Knight gave him his first real shot to be a P5 HC, and the resources there are immense. It is futile to guess what will happen, but hey, this is a message board, so why not. Miami will hire Cristobal if there is a chance that they can actually get him. Can this happen behind the scenes if Knight will fight back? (Which is exactly what happened when Willy tried to get Cristobal to come to FSU.). And even attempting (if it becomes public) this will further damage the relationship with Diaz, and if it fails, who knows what happens next. I don't see how Miami can quietly go after Cristobal so long as Knight wants to keep him. Miami is not a better job than USCw or LSU (obviously), it may not be a better job than VT, and it's unclear (and possible) that the UF job may open up. None of those openings would be looking at Cristobal (no way he goes to UF), but if they are filled with some other current P5 HC, well, the carousel keeps turning, and we don't currently know what those potential new openings might be.

So. Lots to happen. And all of a sudden, FSU is the most stable program in the state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News