ADVERTISEMENT

Minimum Wage

Thank you. And I am curious how you think that I was grandfathered into any tax situation. Also, I vote for tax increases because I support the services that those taxes fund. To be fair, though, I pay very little in gas tax, sales tax, and most of the other taxes that have been in on the ballot.
You're welcome. I can understand the anonymity value to that. I don't think you were grandfathered in. Was within the vein of sarcasm. A basal form of humour, no doubt.

Thank you. And I am curious how you think that I was grandfathered into any tax situation. Also, I vote for tax increases because I support the services that those taxes fund. To be fair, though, I pay very little in gas tax, sales tax, and most of the other taxes that have been on the ballot.
Again, even if you only pay 18% federal tax the rest of your tax burden would have to be less than 7% and that's not counting any other taxes. The fact that you support all the freebies that are given out with your dollars doesn't mean you get to pay less. Is Cali on a pay what you like plan?

The thing about this exchange is the math doesn't add up. 2+2 = 4 even if you don't want it to.

2 plus 2 sometimes equals 5. Which is less than 50 percent.
Yes, but your not taking into account that there's an inherent bias in the math exploiting certain identity groups

I have no idea where you are getting this idea that I pay "what I like." I pay what I owe. And that isn't 50% of my income. Period.
Deadpool 2 Yes GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Again, even if you only pay 18% federal tax the rest of your tax burden would have to be less than 7% and that's not counting any other taxes. The fact that you support all the freebies that are given out with your dollars doesn't mean you get to pay less. Is Cali on a pay what you like plan?
You’re forgetting about small business ownership, tax shelters, long term capital gains, etc. It is very possible to structure your spending and income/revenue to defer and/or never pay a fully representative tax burden to ses.

Reactions: fsufool
It has nothing to with what I want. The math adds up to far less than 50% for me. Again, it is shocking to me that you all believe that you know more about my personal financial situation than I do based on nothing other than a couple of generic, superficial articles and calculators. Are your financial situations really so simple that the actual numbers and circumstances do not matter?!
Yep. Thats it. I'm so poor that I use a 1040 EZ form. No property, rental income, stocks, business income or any of that to worry about.

People that actually pay taxes know how much taxes people owe.

You’re forgetting about small business ownership, tax shelters, long term capital gains, etc. It is very possible to structure your spending and income/revenue to defer and/or never pay a fully representative tax burden to ses.
I get all that trust me.

Reactions: Banditking
I have no idea where you are getting this idea that I pay "what I like." I pay what I owe. And that isn't 50% of my income. Period.
It's important to about 35% of Americans to believe that California is some dystopian hellscape. My wife was back in Ohio for the eclipse and family members were asking if it was true that we couldn't buy skittles and that a big mac meal cost $25.

It's important to about 35% of Americans to believe that California is some dystopian hellscape. My wife was back in Ohio for the eclipse and family members were asking if it was true that we couldn't buy skittles and that a big mac meal cost $25.
What’s with the skittles? That’s a new one. Is the homeless issue exaggerated too?

What’s with the skittles? That’s a new one. Is the homeless issue exaggerated too?
Is homelessness a problem both in CA and the country? Certainly.
Are cities in CA unlivable because of it as it has been portrayed? No.

If nothing changes it will only get worse. We're at levels of wealth inequality that were present in France before the revolution. But no one cares because TVs are cheap.

Is homelessness a problem both in CA and the country? Certainly.
Are cities in CA unlivable because of it as it has been portrayed? No.

If nothing changes it will only get worse. We're at levels of wealth inequality that were present in France before the revolution. But no one cares because TVs are cheap.
I was in la not that long ago and there were people bent over, frozen and obviously high. Wealth inequality is very obvious in California. They seem to try to tax their way out but they also make regs that drive up housing costs and exacerbate the problem to me.

I was in la not that long ago and there were people bent over, frozen and obviously high. Wealth inequality is very obvious in California. They seem to try to tax their way out but they also make regs that drive up housing costs and exacerbate the problem to me.
Yes, drugs, high housing costs and homelessness are problems you only find in California.

I don’t see people bent over, obviously high very often where I Iive.
That guy and some others posting in this thread remind me of folks whom I suspect never lived or experienced where I grew up. They have ties to FSU, but I bet they did not grow up in Leon, Wakulla, Gadsden, or other neighboring counties.
If they did, I bet they did not work as a kid in a grocery store, restaurant, or selling peanuts or Cokes in Doak Campbell.
They talk skit about minimum wage without ever working for it, yet “know all about it”.
Such a bunch of know it alls. Whiny peeps who complain about taxes while driving on my roads. Went to school on the taxpayer dime but now want to weasel out of helping future productive citizens.
Those guys are so predictable.

It is also important that some % belittle others that were not born on the gravy train, and therefore didn’t “pull themselves up by the boot straps”.

That guy and some others posting in this thread remind me of folks whom I suspect never lived or experienced where I grew up. They have ties to FSU, but I bet they did not grow up in Leon, Wakulla, Gadsden, or other neighboring counties.
If they did, I bet they did not work as a kid in a grocery store, restaurant, or selling peanuts or Cokes in Doak Campbell.
They talk skit about minimum wage without ever working for it, yet “know all about it”.
Such a bunch of know it alls. Whiny peeps who complain about taxes while driving on my roads. Went to school on the taxpayer dime but now want to weasel out of helping future productive citizens.
Minimum wage isn’t something the gov should regulate. It makes people poorer. Taxes are more complicated but handouts rather than handups are, as a general rule to me, less desirable and less effective. A good example recently. Student loan payoff by fed gov. It was obvious when obama’s White House took over the student loan system that this would be the eventual gambit. That’s not a payout to people who grew up in Leon, who were poor.

Inflation today is very high. The reason is gov spending. Printing money.

I did work for minimum wage, at one point, for what it’s worth. But, not as an adult. I've worked in some way or another since I was 17 years old and before that sporadically. No, I didn’t grow up poor.

I have a different economic philosophy. I like the Chicago school economics. You cannot tax and gov spend your way out of poverty.

When we talk about the hopelessness of a fentanyl addiction, a higher gov mandated min wage isn’t going to help anyone.

Two parent households. Wait until marriage for children. Graduate from high school. You won’t be poor.

Last edited:
Reactions: F4Gary
What a load of crap.

What a load of crap.
Sure .You guys are full of it thinking you know about coming up without advantages, while disparaging minimum wage folks.
Any of y’all grow up in the Big Bend as a working class kid?

Last edited:
Minimum wage isn’t something the gov should regulate. It makes people poorer. Taxes are more complicated but handouts rather than handups are, as a general rule to me, less desirable and less effective. A good example recently. Student loan payoff by fed gov. It was obvious when obama’s White House took over the student loan system that this would be the eventual gambit. That’s not a payout to people who grew up in Leon, who were poor.

I did work for minimum wage, at one point, for what it’s worth. But, not as an adult. I've worked in some way or another since I was 17 years old and before that sporadically. No, I didn’t grow up poor.

I have a different economic philosophy. I like the Chicago school economists. You cannot tax and gov spend your way out of poverty.

When we talk about the hopelessness of a fentanyl addiction, a higher gov mandated min wage isn’t going to help anyone.

Two parent households. Wait until marriage for children. Graduate from high school. You won’t be poor.
My God son, can you be more picture perfect full of it.
What a world you imagine.

Reactions: BelemNole

I have a different economic philosophy. I like the Chicago school economists. You cannot tax and gov spend your way out of poverty.

Can you possibly post a more “do as I say” screed? Inflation today is a joke compared to the long term norm. Try living with a 14% mortgage, which several of my friends had in the 80’s. We were able to buy a house at 10%. You are so out of touch…
Nothing to do with common folks, tho you preach.

Last edited:
Sure .You guys are full of it thinking you know about coming up without advantages, while disparaging minimum wage folks.
Any of y’all grow up in the Big Bend as a working class kid?
I grew up in Jacksonville and came from a blue collar family. Had all kinds of jobs. Made minimum wage too. $1.65 an hour.
Didn’t have to be from the Big Bend to be working class.

I grew up in Jacksonville and came from a blue collar family. Had all kinds of jobs. Made minimum wage too. $1.65 an hour.
Didn’t have to be from the Big Bend to be working class.
I wonder if they had classmates doing school work, working minimum wage later or earlier in the day, and serving as the family meal train?
To pretend that minimum wage is some kind of unimportant economic factor to many folks is to expose ignorance.
I wish Seminole folks would look in the mirror, be thankful for what they have, and push for success of all.
I think it was $2.05 when I started at Frisch’s on Tennessee Street at 14. Rode my bike and totally enjoyed making bank.

Can you possibly post a more “do as I say” screed? Inflation today is a joke compared to the long term norm. Try living with a 14% mortgage, which several of my friends had in the 80’s. We were able to buy a house at 10%. You are so out of touch…
Nothing to do with common folks, tho you preach.
That’s right, interest rates were high…. Jimmy Carter, for the win. Similar dynamics.

Btw. 1982. 23000. Average household income. 69000 average house. ~3 times household.

2024 hhi = 73000, median house = 402,000. ~5 times household.

Regardless, the point that you’re making appears to be irrelevant. I am suggesting a specific economic perspective. It has nothing to do with empathy or being in or out of touch. It’s just a question of how money works.

Today, right now, the working class is shifting to GOP. Why? Stuff is expensive. Why is stuff expensive? Take a look at the debt clock. Of course, some people’s response, well, raise the min wage to keep up. That’s an inflationary pressure. We dramatically increased the m2 supply and now your dollar is worth less. That’s on the government for their monetary and economic interference. See the following:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/m2.asp

https://www.longtermtrends.net/m2-money-supply-vs-inflation/

This is an interesting discussion. It covers a lot of topics relevant to things that have been brought up in this thread. If you do take the time to listen to it, one thing that may be of interest to you is the discussion of why Biden opened the borders and the idea that this would halt inflation by keeping working class wages low.

Last edited:
Reactions: F4Gary and fsufool
I also do not see people bent over, obviously high very often where I live. Los Angeles is a massive city with a huge amount of variability from one neighborhood to the next. If I go out on certain blocks downtown or near the Venice boardwalk or Palisades Park in Santa Monica, then I will see more unhoused people. Yet, to suggest that the entire city is overrun with fentanyl zombies is just not accurate.

I completely agree that wealth inequality is very obvious here. I also agree that several of the laws and policies exacerbate the problem. I don't know anybody who thinks everything is perfect here, and I am certainly not suggesting that it is. It's also not the miserable failed state, aka the dystopian hellscape, that some people who do not live here consistently assert that it is.
I have a good friend that lives in San Diego. Went to visit him last year. San Diego is a great place to visit. There were no marauding groups of homeless people nor immigrants. Went to the beach, museums, various beach bars, rode an electric bike up into the hills, etc. Just a great place. However, my friend and his wife are leaving SD to go back to Eugene. Why? Because of the cost of housing. Been there for 8 years and had to rent for those years. Kept getting kicked out as the owners lied to them and made decisions to either sell their houses (in the middle of a lease) or wanted to dramatically increase the rent and kicked them out. It took its toll. The last one, my friend negotiated hard and is living in San Diego rent free until they leave at the end of the summer. FYI they are not poor and make a large household income for any other place in the country, but they couldn't afford or want to buy a house for well over $1.5M in the areas they wanted to live. This demonstrates the overall problem with California. The places that are really nice are priced out of the range for the vast majority of people and for the rest, your mortgage/taxes/insurance or rent is tough to carry. You have to be really wedded to living there and sacrificing to afford it.

I have a good friend that lives in San Diego. Went to visit him last year. San Diego is a great place to visit. There were no marauding groups of homeless people nor immigrants. Went to the beach, museums, various beach bars, rode an electric bike up into the hills, etc. Just a great place. However, my friend and his wife are leaving SD to go back to Eugene. Why? Because of the cost of housing. Been there for 8 years and had to rent for those years. Kept getting kicked out as the owners lied to them and made decisions to either sell their houses (in the middle of a lease) or wanted to dramatically increase the rent and kicked them out. It took its toll. The last one, my friend negotiated hard and is living in San Diego rent free until they leave at the end of the summer. FYI they are not poor and make a large household income for any other place in the country, but they couldn't afford or want to buy a house for well over $1.5M in the areas they wanted to live. This demonstrates the overall problem with California. The places that are really nice are priced out of the range for the vast majority of people and for the rest, your mortgage/taxes/insurance or rent is tough to carry. You have to be really wedded to living there and sacrificing to afford it.
Exactly. San Diego is where I was considering to move. I’ve been there many times and have several friends who work in the area. The problem to me is as you state. It’s a bang for buck issue. If you’re top 1 percent in networth, and not just at the threshold of it, San Diego would be fun.

Reactions: fsufool
Last fall, the right wing outrage machine decided to scream about California banning Skittles in yet another effort to paint the state as a dystopian hellscape.

No, California hasn't banned Skittles. Here's what new law says

And, yes, in my experience the manner in which "the homeless issue" gets portrayed and amplified by anti-California voices is seriously exaggerated.
So according to the article the ban applies to chemicals used to make Skittles. If the manufacturer doesn't change the recipe from its current state, they will be banned.

As for the homeless thing here is what I have seen. I've traveled to many large cities in the US and abroad over the last few years. There are issues everywhere. I've seen homeless people on the streets of Nashville, Atlanta, New Orleans and LA. It's been this way for as long as I can remember even in Las Vegas. The issue in California is that it's quite noticeable in the population centers and inter cities as opposed to other places where its more spread out. The increase in the last few years in LA and San Diego has been drastic from my vantage point. I'm sure this is exaggerated to a great degree by right wing news outlets wanting to poke fun at California but let's not act like it doesn't exist because it does and its bad. It's bad everywhere. We have a vacant lot next to where we live in the panhandle and every three months or so the sheriff shows up and cleans out the homeless folks and their makeshift houses. Last time he said every time they relocate them to shelters or other housing they leave and go right back.

So according to the article the ban applies to chemicals used to make Skittles. If the manufacturer doesn't change the recipe from its current state, they will be banned.

As for the homeless thing here is what I have seen. I've traveled to many large cities in the US and abroad over the last few years. There are issues everywhere. I've seen homeless people on the streets of Nashville, Atlanta, New Orleans and LA. It's been this way for as long as I can remember even in Las Vegas. The issue in California is that it's quite noticeable in the population centers and inter cities as opposed to other places where its more spread out. The increase in the last few years in LA and San Diego has been drastic from my vantage point. I'm sure this is exaggerated to a great degree by right wing news outlets wanting to poke fun at California but let's not act like it doesn't exist because it does and its bad. It's bad everywhere. We have a vacant lot next to where we live in the panhandle and every three months or so the sheriff shows up and cleans out the homeless folks and their makeshift houses. Last time he said every time they relocate them to shelters or other housing they leave and go right back.
Public policy has gotten out of wack in California. There seems to be some reckoning going on now. But you are right, homelessness is a national problem.

My thoughts exactly. San Diego seems like a beautiful place to live but the housing market there is a complete non starter for me. Even if I were able to afford a house that would cost 2M plus, I don’t know if I could pull the trigger because I know that same house is half the price in other areas of the country.

California looks beautiful. But there are plenty of places in this country that are as well.

Housing there will always be a non starter for. Not that I have any interest in moving there since all of my family is in the Midwest.

The only reason I want to move out west would be for football season. Having the noles kick off at 9am would be awesome.

Hmmm...prices in destination towns are high? That's shocking to learn. I'd like to live in Maui or St George Island or Jackson, WY but it's too expensive. Must be CA's fault.
My insurance is probably much less than what you all are paying. My mortgage is less than most rents.

• Haha
Reactions: noletaire
No red candy, guys. That’s it. No more Hot Tamales, no Twizzlers, no Sour Cherries and NO red Skittles.
Somehow we will survive.

It's definitely a tempest in a teapot, but just for the sake of specificity, even red skittles are not impacted by this law. Neither are Hot Tamales or Twizzlers. Sour Cherries are, as are some other traditional candies, like candy corn and conversation hearts. Regardless, it is pretty ridiculous that Red Dye 3 is still allowed in our food despite being a known carcinogen that has been banned in cosmetics in the US and in food in the rest of the world for decades. Thanks, Big Maraschino Cherry Cabal!
They must be paying their lobbyists a fortune!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT