ADVERTISEMENT

Music thread - Blue Grass, Americana, Folk

I’m a fan of this kind of music. The Avett Brothers and the Lumineers are two of my favorite bands and put on an incredible show.

Most of what I post is by singer-songwriters.
Just for context, a lot of people start in Tallahassee before they go somewhere else.

Think Florida Georgia line and Jake Owen.

Once a month we have World Music at Blue Tavern. One of the music professors from FSU arranges the event. It’s always outstanding.

We also have a monthly Ukrainian dinner with Ukrainian music.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Most of what I post is by singer-songwriters.
Just for context, a lot of people start in Tallahassee before they go somewhere else.

Think Florida Georgia line and Jake Owen.
they are fine examples of that genre but I live in the Red Dirt Country revival and then i got to have a taste of the Blues at the BBC and I have worshipped at a High Temple of the Blues

they are fine examples of that genre but I live in the Red Dirt Country revival and then i got to have a taste of the Blues at the BBC and I have worshipped at a High Temple of the Blues
Then why don’t you go to Blues night at BT? Every Tuesday at 8.

BBC has had a wide variety of bands. Lil Grizzly isn’t a blues band, but they’ve played there.

Then why don’t you go to Blues night at BT? Every Tuesday at 8.

BBC has had a wide variety of bands. Lil Grizzly isn’t a blues band, but they’ve played there.
I would if I could but alas I no longer live in and/or around Bradfordville (not that I could afford to) and do not travel well due to the mileage on my body.

Reactions: bcherod
Steve Martin more than a comedian and actor. He is an accomplished musician that can play Scruggs and Claw hammer style equally well.

This is a song he wrote for their family friend Martin Short's wife who lost a battle with cancer.

The Great Remember for Nancy

Reactions: FSUTribe76

Gina Fertado, I just love her style and her band simply puts out great music.

One more Dead South song. My son who just started playing a few years ago plays this song pretty darn well on the guitar.

Seven or 8 years ago, we were at a music festival at the Spirit of the Suwannee park in Live Oak. My younger son (9 or 10 at the time) was hungry for breakfast, so we went down to the festival area to get him some pancakes. We were sitting at a table eating & a guy with breakfast of his own asked if he could join us at the table. He sat down, we chat for a bit as we eat; most of the people who walked by said hi to him, a few stopped & chatted with him briefly. I figured he either worked at the park or was a bigtime regular at the park's festivals.

That night, we're down at the stage area as the #2 billed act takes the stage. My son says "Hey dad, there's the guy we had breakfast with this morning." I start looking around in the crowd where we're seated but don't see the guy, so ask my son where he sees him....."Up there on the stage - that's him singing & playing the banjo." :D
It was the front man for Grass is Dead, Billy Gilmore. He's tremendously talented.

Reactions: bcherod
Really good bluegrass is alive and well at the Blue Tavern in Tallahassee, as well as a few other venues in town.

Last night was a sort of last minute change due to a cancellation. It was changed to a one setter, then those that brought their instruments joined in for a blue grass jam.

The musicians play multiple instruments, banjos, guitars, mandolins, Ike’s, violin, upright bass…..

If you have an opportunity to see Bronwyn Chelotte, Shanice Richards, Solessé, Edessa, and others, come out to see them. The cover is usually $5-10, if there is one.

1964-Garcia_PhotoCred-The-Jerry-Garcia-Family-1100x801.jpg

In 1963 this young banjo player decided to follow Bill Monroe around and see several of his shows. His intentions were to asking Bill for a job. Unfortunately, being around the father of Bluegrass and his musicians ,most of which became famous and extremely talented, intimidated this young musician and he traveled back to San Francisco without ever asking for a job. He ended up doing pretty well for himself and everyone knows his as Jerry Garcia. Many years later Jerry admitted wanting to ask Bill for a job and Bill could not believe he never asked for they were looking for another banjo player at that time.

Reactions: SeaPA and bcherod
1964-Garcia_PhotoCred-The-Jerry-Garcia-Family-1100x801.jpg

In 1963 this young banjo player decided to follow Bill Monroe around and see several of his shows. His intentions were to asking Bill for a job. Unfortunately, being around the father of Bluegrass and his musicians ,most of which became famous and extremely talented, intimidated this young musician and he traveled back to San Francisco without ever asking for a job. He ended up doing pretty well for himself and everyone knows his as Jerry Garcia. Many years later Jerry admitted wanting to ask Bill for a job and Bill could not believe he never asked for they were looking for another banjo player at that time.
Cool story. Thanks for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT