ADVERTISEMENT

My personal Bobby Bowden story (Share your best one)

Tom81

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
It was the spring of 1981. FSU just came off their best season under 5th year
coach Bobby Bowden. We were 10-2 having lost 10-9 to MIami and 18-17 to Oklahoma
in the Orange Bowl! I might add we had just beaten UF for the 4th straight time. We also
beat Nebraska 18-14 in Lincoln, and if memory serves the NU fans gave us an ovation
after the game.
I was at FSU in my last year of school in Physical Education. I was the president of
a PE Majors club! We occasionally had speakers and I thought it would be great to have
Coach Bowden. I marched over to the football offices and explained my purpose to his
secretary. It wasn't long before I was ushered into his office. "How ya' doing buddy?" was
my greeting in good ole Bobby fashion. He was gracious with me and his time and of course
he accepted my request.
I was so excited and advertised the meeting and the speaker to all PE majors. When he
came to speak, as memory serves, only about 7 or 8 people showed up. I was embarrassed!
He paid no mind and gave a great BB speech for about 30 to 40 minutes. After the meeting
I thanked him and apologized, because I felt I had wasted his time. He thanked me and told
me It wasn't a waste of time!

We were nobodies, so if the man didn't have true character he could have reacted much
differently.
Rest In Peace Bobby Bowden and may God comfort all your family members!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News