ADVERTISEMENT

New Year Menu

DFSNOLE

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
DeFuniak Springs Country Club
So what's on your menu today? I'm part of a mixed marriage, my wife is a yankee, so we have different traditional meals. I've had black eyed peas soaking overnight. They'll be cooked with some smoked neck bone and served with rice, collards, grilled pork steaks and cornbread.
My wife eats sauerkraut and pork with mashed potatoes on the side. If she's nice to me today, I'll let her have some of my cornbread.
What about y'all?

collards, black eyed peas, ham. Smoked salmon, (gravlax), and a baguette.

I made some ratatouille to take to a party today. (for the vegetarians)

In the old days, I also would have made paté and jambalaya, too.

I am in charge of
Smoked pork tenderloin
Collards with ham hock and homemade pepper sauce ( I cook them outside, wife hates the smell)

The wife is making
Mashed potatoes
black eyed peas
skillet cornbread and fried cornbread
peach cobbler

• Love
Reactions: bcherod and DFSNOLE
So what's on your menu today? I'm part of a mixed marriage, my wife is a yankee, so we have different traditional meals. I've had black eyed peas soaking overnight. They'll be cooked with some smoked neck bone and served with rice, collards, grilled pork steaks and cornbread.

What about y'all?
320711863_866766237889230_8501554674384164474_n.jpg

I'm part of a mixed marriage, my wife is a yankee, so we have different traditional meals.
Now that's funny. This made me think of Tom. Now my aunt was a Yankee, but I think my family always thought of Tom as a New Yorker. He was, however, liked for the most part.

My two grandmothers and my mother made distinctions between states and regions, especially between LA and "North Alabama", South Georgia and Fulton county.

And, my brother, bless his heart, thinks he's from Ohio.

We empty nested with a low key meal that checked the boxes. Ham for health (ha, ha), black eyed peas for luck, and collard greens for wealth, along with a new cornbread recipe we were turned on to.

Mix dry…
cup all purpose flour
cup corn meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
tablespoon sugar

Lightly mix in 1 1/2 cups buttermilk and 2 large eggs…

Melt half cup unsalted butter into a 9 inch iron skillet preheating to 400 degrees.
Fold (lightly mix) butter into batter, melt a couple tablespoons of bacon grease to the hot skillet, add batter to the skillet. Sizzle tells you that the crust is forming.
Approx. 20/25 minutes cook time, looking for a brown surface to the cake. When coming out of the oven, I can usually shake the cake loose in the pan…

We did not have any buttermilk yesterday, but per Brother Pat, added a splash (teaspoon) of vinegar to whole milk to make our own.
Don’t hesitate to add fresh off the cob kernels of sweet corn, jap a leeno peppers, or whatever to the fun.
We cut the recipe in half yesterday and it was just right on time.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
My wife eats sauerkraut and pork with mashed potatoes on the side. If she's nice to me today, I'll let her have some of my cornbread.
What about y'all?
Was she nice enough to get a slab or two of cornbread?

My wife and I made a Nordic Smorgasbord using mostly authentic recipes from Norway, Sweden and Denmark. My wife made the dense Norwegian rye Bread and then I made three smorresbrod for everyone 1) herring in wine sauce and pickled onion, 2) skagen salat (a fresh boiled shrimp salad with yogurt, sour cream and dill) and 3) pork liver pate with fig Jam. We made some Janson‘s Temptation which is a potato, onion and anchovy casserole in heavy cream. We did a cheese and charcuterie board including Gjetost and Jarlsburg cheeses. I made two deviled egg dishes, a traditional southern one my mom loves topped with red lumpfish caviar and an authentic one using just sliced in half boiled eggs topped with a lot of salmon cream (smoked salmon, dill, cream cheese, and heavy cream blended until smooth) and half a large boiled shrimp. Finally, my wife made some authentic Norwegian meatballs with a spicing pattern significantly better than Swedish and Italian meatballs we have made recently and I made a sauce from lingonberry jam, fresh squeezed Orange and lemon juice from fruit we picked up in Apopka, some fish sauce and a lot of ground black pepper.

My wife and I made a Nordic Smorgasbord using mostly authentic recipes from Norway, Sweden and Denmark. My wife made the dense Norwegian rye Bread and then I made three smorresbrod for everyone 1) herring in wine sauce and pickled onion, 2) skagen salat (a fresh boiled shrimp salad with yogurt, sour cream and dill) and 3) pork liver pate with fig Jam. We made some Janson‘s Temptation which is a potato, onion and anchovy casserole in heavy cream. We did a cheese and charcuterie board including Gjetost and Jarlsburg cheeses. I made two deviled egg dishes, a traditional southern one my mom loves topped with red lumpfish caviar and an authentic one using just sliced in half boiled eggs topped with a lot of salmon cream (smoked salmon, dill, cream cheese, and heavy cream blended until smooth) and half a large boiled shrimp. Finally, my wife made some authentic Norwegian meatballs with a spicing pattern significantly better than Swedish and Italian meatballs we have made recently and I made a sauce from lingonberry jam, fresh squeezed Orange and lemon juice from fruit we picked up in Apopka, some fish sauce and a lot of ground black pepper.
my invite got lost in the mail

Dude!!! Outstanding!!

Reactions: FSUTribe76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT